About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Old Soul

Over lunch they said that if they could live their college years over and over again, they’d do it in a heartbeat. I couldn’t imagine a worse fate. It’s not that my college years have been miserable, it’s more that I wouldn’t want to live any second of my life over again. I’m always so ready to move forward.

I used to fight against growing up so desperately. I always saw the adult world as being a place of routine complacency. I thought that as I grew older, I’d start to lose that wide-eyed need for adventure and magic. I thought I would have to give up that part of me that likes to jump in puddles and sit under trees and paint with my fingers, just for the hell of it. I thought that growing older meant sacrificing the child within me.

So I fought it. I refused to admit that I was becoming older and wiser. I surrounded myself with children and people with childlike spirits. I began dressing like a child, wearing mismatched clothing in bright colors with strange shoes and big, cheap jewelry. I still played with toys and decorated my life with cartoon apparel. I just thought it was really unfair that I should ever have to grow up.

It’s so strange to think of that now. My life has changed so drastically over these past few years, and I find myself not only ready for the future, but longing for it. That’s not to say I’m not taking the time to enjoy the here and now, but I’m also looking forward to whatever there is to come. I’m ready for things to grow.

It’s so interesting to read comment after comment mentioning how old my soul seems to be. It’s true. I do have an old soul. I’ve always had it, even when I wasn’t ready to recognize it as such. I’m not sure where it came from or how I, of all people, seemed to acquire it, but lately I’ve been spending less time questioning it and more time appreciating it. It can be a really wonderful thing to look at the world that way, through the eyes of someone nearing the end.

I used to think constantly of what I would do if I knew my life was ending. If I only had a certain amount of time left, how would I spend it? Eventually I realized that I do only have a certain amount of time left, and so I made the active choice to make my life what I want it to be. Yes, it might be easier if I knew the specific time I would go, the exact day I needed to be done everything I wanted to experience, but for now, just knowing that it will be someday is enough to inspire me onward.

Onward I go. Not towards death and it’s inevitability, but towards life and it’s opportunity. I decided a long time ago that I would never be rich and successful and accomplished by the world’s definitions of those characteristics, but that I’d be happy in creating my own meanings for them and then searching to fulfill those meanings. I am already rich with the beauty and love and life that I’ve found. I am already successful and accomplished for finding them.

I am already thrilled with the journey of my life, and it’s only just begun. So without that need to fight my way to the top, I’ve found that I have time to do what I initially assumed would be lost. I have time to play. I have time to run around outside and get dirty, to create, to jump and laugh and sing. I have time to allow the child within me to dance with my old soul. I have time to revel in the beauty of that.

I still wear my bold mismatched apparel. I still have my Spongebob covers on the seats of my car. I still laugh and dream and believe, the way that I did as a child, and my old soul watches it all, and smiles.

11 comments:

tara dawn said...

I am literally speechless. Your vitality and passion continue to inspire me every day...I cannot thank you enough for sharing these aspects of who you are. An inner child...an old soul...you are so beautiful my friend. So incredibly beautiful!!
My heart literally feels lighter after reading this. Your spirit is my guide.
Sending lots and lots of love!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I think it is great that you are creating the life you want for yourself. I love that you are braiding the life of a playful child together with the wise elder. Something greater always comes from the combination of two or more elements.

Claudia said...

You are wise beyond your years!
India will be an even more colourful place with you around!

Heather said...

It is an inspiring dance you lead, showing the adventurous side balanced with the watchful. I long to go back to being my uninhibited child self, and try to remind myself in the moments I can, to take those openings and go with it. Then when the older sensible self reprimands, I try to remember none of it will really matter in the long run, so I may as well enjoy myself now.

Good post - very thought provoking.

gkgirl said...

good for you to be able to
recognize and acknowledge
both of those sides of you...

and i love spongebob
heehee
:)

Annie Z said...

Amazing Frankie. Totally amazing. And I thought I was an old soul! :):) I would say that I am an old soul who needs healing and you are the old soul who is finally able to love life. Sure there are always aspects of life to deal with, but the old soul in you lives strong and at the forefront.
Right now, after reading your post, I am feeling the warmth of possibility. And the warmth of your old soul!

JTL
xxx

Out Of Jersey said...

I wouldn't want to go back to my college years. Not too much fun. There were aspects I enjoyed, a few good friends I made, but other than that. Nah. Life's good for me now.

meghan said...

There are people three times your age who have still not been able to allow those two aspects of their personality to coexist. You are inspiring!! What a way to live your life. You might be an old soul but you are also a breath of fresh air. Thank you so much for sharing all of that. I am so happy to have found you.

hollibobolli said...

I just can't relate when people want to go back and re-live highschool or college.. while I had fun, it was mixed with the drama and heartache of growing up, mean girls, etc..

You may not be rich by Trump standards.. but what I see in the things you write - you ARE a rich person.

I think I'm an old soul too.. I always have been. But I too still wear my cartoon t-shirts, etc.. things I love. It's who I am. whatever! :)

Alex S said...

Another beautiful post! We get so many messages to be anywhere and anyone and anything but what we are, and esp for us women, that includes our age. I may only be 33 but I feel so much better than I ever did when I was in college or for all of my 20s and adolescence together. We need as many people as we can find whom are older than however old we are who can vividly demonstrate that growing older is a gift to earn rather than dread. Old souls age like fine wine, and you are going to be such an inspiration to follow over the years.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

you have captured how i often feel as well frankie. my parents always said i was born 35 (which makes me 5 years older than them) - and I sometimes appreciate this because it means i have a deeper understanding of some things but i am realizing that i can balance that with laughter, silliness and joy...