About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Big 2-1

I’m so terribly sorry for my lack of updates. Things got so hectic after my last post. I have so much to write about, I hardly know where to begin. Here’s my attempt at the most basic overview of the past few days.

Tuesday night I went to a bar known for not carding so that I could drink up until it officially turned midnight, but drinking too much too fast meant that I didn’t even make it to see midnight. At 11:55, I was already outside on the curb half passed out. I won’t fill you in on all of the embarrassingly drunk moments that preceded and followed, but I guess that it’s important to humiliate oneself on their 21st birthday. It will be a nice story to have for the future.

I spent all of Wednesday morning nursing a horrible hangover, but it was made bearable by all of the absolutely wonderful birthday wishes I received. It was one of those days that made me so utterly grateful for technology because between emails, facebook messages, and the fantastic birthday wishes from my fellow bloggers, I awoke to over a hundred little notes in my email inbox. It made me so incredibly happy. Thank you all SO much!

Wednesday night I went out to dinner downtown with my mom and little brother. It was so lovely. We had a phenomenal conversation over expensive food and drinks and I spent the night feeling so very grateful to have them as my family. We talked about life and how important it is to follow your heart. It made me realize how connected to them I really am. I am my mother’s daughter, a thought that never ceases to make me proud.

After dinner, a small group of my friends went out with me to a bar in Manayunk, where for the first time in my life, I had proper ID. It felt so nice not to have to worry about getting in or getting caught. It felt so nice to finally be grown up. The night was much quieter than the previous evening, and I was thankful for that. I needed a little down time. Still, it was lovely. It was so fun to just sit around, drinking and talking with some of the most wonderful people in the world. I really am so very blessed.

This morning I went into work for a little while and then spent the afternoon out at yet another bar with my coworker and friend. She’s nine years older than me and has been counting the minutes until my 21st birthday even more intently than I have. She was so excited for me and excited that we could spend more time together without the limitations of my being underage. We had a great time and a great talk.

I left and went straight to my older brother and sister-in-law’s house. We went to another expensive and beautiful Cuban restaurant downtown and had the most amazing time. They are two of the smartest, funniest, kindest, most remarkable people that I know and we spent the night delighting in each other’s company. I love that I learn something new about them each time that I see them. I love that they aren’t afraid to laugh and be whacky with me. I love that they find that perfect balance of treating me as both their little sister and their good friend. I just love them.

I apologize that this post isn’t in the least bit articulate or eloquent. I haven’t slept much and am still a little drunk from earlier today. I’m really not as big of a drinker as this post would imply, but it’s been nice to have that lifestyle for the past couple of days. It’s been nice to feel so loved and taken care of. It’s been nice to be 21. I can only hope the rest of my year, and all of my years, will be as perfect.

10 comments:

alan said...

Angel, you have nothing to apologize for! My incoherent ramblings make anything you will ever write here seem like Joyce!

Glad you had a wonderful birthday! Here's to a hundred or so more!

alan

meghan said...

SO glad to hear you had such a great birthday week!! I hope that this year brings you much joy and delight and adventure! sending love!

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Sounds like a fabulous week. Yes, no apologies. Glad you took the time to update us. :-)

gkgirl said...

yay!
here it is only 19
for the legal age.

and i am long past 19,
teehee.

ahhhhh...
i am so glad you had a fantastic
birthday...
i couldn't have wished a better one
for you...:)

Jane said...

So glad you had a great time! When you get back from India I will be taking you out for yet more expensive food and drinks so please put me towards the top of your list of people to see.

And, yes, you are your mother's daughter and, knowing her, that is a very good thing. Luv u!

Laini Taylor said...

Good to hear from you again after your big celebration. Wow! Call it your "birth week" - not day! Sounds like a memorable and wonderful few days. My 21st wasn't, so much. Being born just a few days before Christmas, I never have attempted to do much in the way of parties - and when I turned 21 my older brother and I were visiting our parents in Hawaii for the holiday and I went out with him to a club, but as he was at the time a recovering alcoholic, it wasn't a big festive night that way. Still, it was Hawaii, so boo hoo hoo.

tara dawn said...

I'm so glad to hear you have had such a wonderful birthday week! With such a beautiful and vibrant spirit, I have no doubts that all your years (and birthdays) to come will be just as perfect, and even more fulfilling.
Sending love and hugs,
TD

MB said...

Frankie, I'm very glad you had a wonderful birthday and I'm wishing for many, many more for you!

Claudia said...

Lovely Birthday! It´s funny, while I was younger I couldn´t wait for my Birthday to come around and it seemed like ages from one year to the next but now my Birthday sneaks up on me. The years seem to go by faster and faster the older I get.

daringtowrite said...

Belated birthday wishes, Frankie. I've fallen behind with my blog reading and have just been catching up with your wonderful life and brilliant writing tonight. I hope your birthday glow will continue all year long.