About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, February 20, 2006

Forgetting To Remember

An entire weekend gone without a single post to mark it. I’m not sure exactly what prevented me from sitting down and writing a little something. I had the time, but somehow the blog world slipped to the back of my mind. I didn’t even have the computer on for the majority of the last three days. It was all very unlike me. Sometimes I have difficulty remembering how I like to fill my time.

Which is why it was so nice to have a reminder on Friday night. I went out with a group of friends I haven’t spent nearly enough time with over the past year. It began with just me and my best girlfriend sitting at the bar (one of the few I can get in to without ID), catching up on all of the new details in one another’s lives since the last time we saw each other. Soon after, at just the right moment, we were joined by two more of our girlfriends. The four of us sat around talking, drinking, laughing, reminiscing on adventures together that I hadn’t thought about in years. It was so wonderful to reconnect with them.

As the night wore on, more and more people began filtering into the bar, and I was surprised to find myself so utterly delighted to see each one of them. It was strange to realize that I’d forgotten that feeling, forgotten how fantastic it feels to run into people unexpectedly, to have everything between you be completely different and exactly the same all at once. It was lovely, really lovely.

The next morning, I walked out of my front door only to remember that getting home at 2am the night before meant that I had been forced to park 7 blocks away. I started to make my way there in the early morning. The world was still sleeping. Everything was so quiet. There were a few other people out, still in their clothes from the night before, stumbling in their tired states, making their way to their cars. We all said hello to one another, somehow fearlessly friendly in the safety of morning. I walked a little further and suddenly realized how happy I was. It was so nice just to be out in the morning air walking. It was so nice to be surrounded by strangers and life, the wind whipping at my face, the leaves rustling on the trees. It was so nice to remember that this was what happiness felt like.

It’s so funny how you can think that you’re as happy as you can be, or will ever be, and then a moment comes along that makes you reevaluate everything. It’s why no one can ever really “have it all,” because there will always be that certain something that they hadn’t even considered. It’s so funny that no matter how many times I have this realization, I always quickly forget it. I like that I forget it. I like that every life lesson is to be learned over and over again throughout the course of a life. I like that we are always learning.

For no logical reason, he was the first thing I thought of when I put my head down to sleep last night. I hadn’t thought about him in a while, and when I did, I thought of him as an abstract, as a friend who died, instead of as the friend who lived. Then last night, there he was, the boy who lived. Every memory of him flooded back through my mind. I saw him standing beside me outside of our dorm, sharing his secret with me. I saw him lying on the grass beside me after a night of dancing, staring up at the stars. I saw him sitting with his guitar beside the fire, singing the song he wrote for his little sister about wanting to be a hot dog. I saw the text message on my phone, telling me he was drunk and missing me and hoped I was well. That was the last time I ever heard from him.

And I cried. I cried for the loss, cried for my friend, cried for a life cut short. I cried too, for forgetting to remember him, for not thinking about him for so long until just then. I cried for the promise I had made to always remember those beautiful moments we shared, to carry them with me throughout my days here on earth. I cried for the promise, broken.

It was an emotional weekend, filled with all of those little remembrances that make life the bittersweet journey that it is. Life is a collection of these ups and downs, these moments of laughter and tears, these revelations that need to be forgotten and remembered. If only I could stop forgetting to remember that.

15 comments:

Leah said...

Hello sweet girl. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I'm so sad that I've been away from your blog for so long. I always enjoy reading it! Just one more week and I'll have full access to my computer and Internet again.

hollibobolli said...

What a great post. I'm glad you had a weekend filled with good.. even if it was sprinkled with a touch of sadness. I guess that pretty much sums up life.

Dana said...

This post touches me more than you could possibly know.

I'm glad you are so alive and awake to what you are feeling.

xoxo

tara dawn said...

Sometimes we need to forget...so that when we remember, we remember with passion and depth and truth.
I know these sentiments well...in some many different areas of life. And yet I had forgotten how often I forget to remember...the irony continues.
My heart is reaching out to you...and I thank you for the wonderful moments your words bring to me, and my life. Each new post I read is a reminder of your beauty and your grace, your wisdom and your honesty. If I remembered the overwhelming feelings of warmth your words bring to me every second of every day, then I would never get to experience the pure exhiliration each time I come to your page, and remember...
love,
td

Laini Taylor said...

This is a beautiful post, sweet and sad. I love that you like forgetting how happiness can sneak up on you and surpass itself and surprise you each time - so true. I'm sad for your friend, and as ever when I read your blog, amazed at how much more grounded and articulate you are than I remember myself being in college. You're a good one.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i am so thankful that you share your feelings with such honesty Frankie. Beautiful. you are awake in your life my dear...AWAKE. in the midst of the pains and joys and happiness and grief.

Sky said...

Your life is so filled with feelings at the moment, so intense. So much seems to be churning all around you and inside you. I am sure you are preparing for the huge changes your life will undertake in a few weeks. Isn't it great to be so alive?!
I enjoy reading your accounts of this time in your life so very much.

I am eager to learn more about the trip you are about to take to India and what that agenda will include, the length of your stay, etc.

meghan said...

Hi there!

I can relate to this post completely. Sometimes when we lose someone it hurts as much to forget as it does to remember. I have had trouble remembering someone as 'the friend who lived' too. Please accept my gratitude for the tears you made me cry today. You are an amazing writer, Frankie. As always, I am so glad to have found you!

Somnambulist Seeker said...

That was nice.
I've been thinking about the same thing lately - How it's a mistake for us to think that the "perfect" life would be one without sorrow. I don't think I understood that before this past year, but it's true.

Ups and downs... and forgetting... and remembering.

Thanks for taking the time to blog that.

gkgirl said...

funny how when it hits,
it hits hard.

snowsparkle said...

though your piece today has a bittersweet tone, there is also a note of hope in it... my hope is that i got the day right and am not late in wishing you a happy birthday today! (i thought i read last tuesday that your birthday would be in a week...) in any case, i am thinking of you and wishing you well!

MB said...

I kept re-reading this entry, wondering what to say. All I can say is what I feel in response, which is... Yes, life is like that for me, too. I can't keep it all in my head, either. It comes and goes, it is a chain, a weaving of experiences, and depending on my focus the view shifts, the colors and emotions and awarenesses shift. Forgetting to remember, being focused on something else, re-remembering, thinking again of a lost friend (my poem, Redwing)... it's all bittersweet, and glorious and hopeful all at the same time. My words don't do it justice, but yours did.

MB said...

Oh, and P.S.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOMORROW!!!!

May you have a wonderful day and may it be the start of an incredible new year for you.

xo

Out Of Jersey said...

Frankie,
When my mom died I was literally there every day to watch her slowly pass away. You know what happens from time to time? I either:

(1) Think how I need to give her a call because I hadn't talked to her in a while.

or

(2) Remember some small insignifigant thing like her little nickname for me, her baking oatmeal bread, or the afghan she made for me and it brings me nearly to tears.

those memories are with you always, and will always be. Just because you may forget them once in a while doesn't mean they are any less important to you, newer ones are are being added to them. That's also why they invented paper and pens and why people become poets. People like, oh shall we say, you.

Yasmin said...

You can't feel angry at yourself for living - he would have forgiven you, don't let the guilt on this eat you up: feel ahppy that you remebered him again