About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Friday, February 24, 2006

Smiley Face



Although I got a very expensive and much needed digital camera for my birthday, my favorite present from my mother was a “report card” written by my preschool teacher when I was one and a half. I had never seen it before, and it was such an absolute joy to read it twenty years later. It’s amazing that I am essentially the same person now. It’s amazing that after so much time and so many changes, this is still exactly who I am. It’s amazing to know that I was born into this world with a smile on my face.

The report reads, “Frankie has been such a great part of our class. She socializes well, despite the fact that she is often the only girl! She has a laugh that will get her anything. In the next month, Frankie’s language is sure to blossom. She has a very delicate manner and enjoys a lot of activities. This openness will take her far. I’ve really enjoyed her smiley face!”

Smiley face. That’s me. I feel as though no matter what happens in my life, no matter how many downs accompany my ups, I’ll always have that smiley face. I’ll always know that I entered this world and will leave this world with that same genuine smile. I'll always know that's me.

At our final assembly in high school, I won an award with the following description. "The Caroline Susan Jones pin is a tribute given by vote of three upper classes and the faculty to a member of the senior class who has displayed courage, cheerfulness, fair-mindedness, good sportsmanship, whose influence is widely felt, who has the courage of her own convictions and who is respected by all. The winner is a competent, quick-witted, effective leader of her class. Not only does she give whole-heartedly and generously to all activities, she has a gift for interacting closely and sensitively with people of all ages and persuasions. She has a special knack for making others feel comfortable and valued. She is Frankie Zelnick."

She is. I am. I spend so much time trying to define myself, trying to figure out how each change in my life alters who I am, but I look back on these things written about me and realize that deep down I've been the same person all this time. Deep down, I will always be this person, and I'm grateful for that. My heart will always be searching for that love that makes it sing.

The picture above is a goofy one. Five of us took them at a concert we attended this summer, each one a black and white portrait of us in a moment of sheer happiness. They’re five of my favorite pictures, even if we all look rather ridiculous. There’s something really lovely about having such joy captured this way, of having captured the essence of our heart songs, of having captured our smiley faces. Smiley face. That's me.

13 comments:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

you are beautiful my dear beautiful...inside and out.

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous picture! You've gotta love that "smiley face." And isn't wonderful to have confirmation that the baby you were in pre-school is still intact. Oh...the things that have yet to be written about the jouyful soul that is you!

Claudia said...

Hello Smiley! Looking good at 21, full of life and confidence with so much to look forward to. I still remember my 21st clearly, seems like yesterday but since then 18 years have passed!

Sky said...

What pure joy in your face! Beautiful photo, indeed. And, that you learned you have not been marred during these 21 years - that your innate joy in life is intact and unaltered, that you are moving forward with that innocent, pure joy is just remarkable! Lucky girl to have had such a healthy beginning!

But, do tell - how did you get to be so wise? What gave those innocent eyes the insight of a woman who has lived on this earth far more years than 21?

alan said...

Not goofy, try gorgeous!

Someone a while back spoke of how much older you seem than your years; I have to agree! You seem to know yourself so much better than I despite my being more than twice your age!

Thank you for being you!

alan

meghan said...

Hi there!

SEE, you DID find enlightenment on your 21rst! he he. I think that that's an amazing legacy to have been given, and to know - really KNOW that at your essence you are the same person as you have always been is wonderful. Keep that girl alive Frankie and know she'll get you through anything!

GoGo said...

Happy Belated Bday!

Sounds like you know how to appreciate life.-

Jamie said...

What wonderful gifts to receive on your birthday! How amazing to have reflected back to you the beautiful smiley person that you are! You should frame those and put them up where you can be reminded every day that you are seen and appreciated for exactly who you are!

Cinnamon Spider! said...

I love your picture :) you look so happy, always a joy to visit you.

Michelle said...

This is a really interesting post to me. I am far older than you and wonder if that makes a difference or not but lately I have been thinking how very different I am from my child self, not in a bad way but just that I'm different. Now I'm curious. Maybe I'm not as different as I thought. I may have to see if I can dig up some old school report cards.

BTW, your smile is truly great.

Laini Taylor said...

Frankie, in your face and in your writing it's immediately obvious you're the kind of person others gravitate towards, the smiling, fun, warm, easy-to-talk-to force of nature. It's great your mom kept that report card - what a fun thing to have! I unearthed some of my brother's early homework and it too revealed his personality has been very much established since his youngest days - in his case as a wry, devious little hooligan - but in a good way!

Annie Z said...

Fabulous picture!!!!
JTL
xxx

Unknown said...

and what a beautiful smile you have!