About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, February 13, 2006

A Little Inspiration

This morning I awoke to an absolutely gorgeous email from my best friend Tommy who, as I've mentioned before, is in China for the year. His words were so inspiring on this cold winter morning, that I felt it would be selfish to keep them all to myself. I wanted to share his wisdom with you, so here is an excerpt from an email written by the most wonderful person I know.

“….I also had a morning with her where we hiked to the top of this small hill that faced a Tibetan holy mountain. At the top of the hill was a pagoda, tons of prayer flags, and an already burning offering of pine needles to the Buddha. At the top of this hill I couldn't help but feel the greatest power in the world. I never again will attempt to find god inside of a building. We split up at the top of this hill for alone time, when I came upon the burning offering to the Buddha. It was basically a sunken pit, maybe 30 by 20 feet, with a small section of smoking pine needles. The pit was surrounded by prayer flags and the rising sun hit them all so perfectly. I sat there adding needles and fueling the fire, vibing off the scene and pondering life. there are no words to describe the feeling I had. It was more potent than the most powerful drug, it was more strong than any human-elicited emotion. It was purely ecstasy. After a while, Kumiko came to tell me that I had been sitting there for a good half hour and we should keep on going. Between you and me, I couldn't leave this spot.

When my mom and I said goodbye at the airport in august, I felt this fantastic magnet drawing me back towards her as she walked away. Many times I would run back to her in tears crying “don't go mom!” traffic stopped in the middle of the road as I would hug her. I was out of control, possessed by the force of love. At this spot, the feeling was of the same. I would begin to walk away, look back, and feel the tears well up knowing that I would never return to such a beautiful place. Every step farther away would make me want to run back that much more. Even now, in my room, my heart pounds as I yearn to return. It was one of those moments that I will remember when I am old in my rocking chair and pondering what I did in life.

I was talking with kumiko about whether or not to fear old age, and we decided that if I can give my soul many of these kinds of experiences, I will be able to mentally return in old age and experience these fantastic feelings yet again. I pray that in India you too have moments like these, where you fall asleep years later wondering what one small section of the world is like and how you affected it.

I wish you the best of luck in India. I know you are still a month from leaving, but please, I want you to have an amazing time. I am so happy YOU are going, because YOU of all people will seize the moments there and make the world a better place. I want you to return home dreaming of your time there and dreaming for more of the same in the future. I pray that you too find travel in Asia to be a fantastic drug with no equivalent but more travel. I pray that one hour in an alleyway or a field in India effects you lightyears more than years of work in a classroom and a lifetime of writing.

You are the most deserving person for the experiences you will have. Do not waste a moment, because before you know it you will be back home wondering why you didn't walk up a hill to see what was there or why you didn't wake up early one day to see what life is like before the sunrise. Even more unfortunate, before you know it, you will be old and withered pondering whether or not you wasted a precious day on earth. I love that you have the fantastic sense of adventure and risk to embark on such a journey. I am so truly proud of you. I feel that returning home will be a little easier knowing we have an even deeper connection of getting lost in our own niches of the world. While many people stay within their comfort zone, you are with open arms ready to embark on an amazing adventure. I have just begun to realize that I want to go beyond living each day like it's my last: I want to live every day so I can die tomorrow with a smile on my face.

You will grow and mature so much over the next few months, and I look forward to seeing how such an already magical person will continue to flourish during her time on earth. Keep on growing and never forget who you are. every day we grow one day older, and ever day our time here grows shorter. please keep making the world a better place during your fantastic journey of life…..”

12 comments:

Alex S said...

Hi Frankie! I've been a little crazy busy the last week and behind in my favorite blogs, esp yours! What a beautiful, beautiful letter from your best friend. I wish the same for you when you travel. I never will regret for one moment spending much of my twenties overseas. It will change who you are, not that anything needs changing, but I mean it will crack you wide open and everything that is not meant to be you will come right up to the surface for you to see and to let go if thats what you wish, and you will be filled with so many new ideas and images and all sorts of new and fantastic people that will only expand your sense of this life and all its possibilities. I am so glad to have discovered your blog now and to get to read about your journey as you go along. You must be so excited as the days get closer! Nervous too? That would only be natural!
P.S. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing wishes from a cherished friend. You and Tommy are very blessed to have the special connection that you do. I have to agree with him...you will continue to make the world a better place. You already do! be well.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh wow Frankie. This is so powerful. what a beautiful connection you have with your friend.
This image of "your fantastic journey of life" - i am thinking about what will you do with it? what will i do with it? I love this invitation for you to live in your life.

meghan said...

What a lovely letter to receive! I share with him the hope that you will live your trip to India and the rest of your life to the best of your ability. You've said before - and I agree - travelling changes you fundamentally. Perhaps you will live through the answers to the questions you have been asking lately. I CAN'T WAIT to hear all about it.

gkgirl said...

wow...
how lucky are you both
to be such amazing supportive friends
to each other...
wow.

oh
and happy valentines day to you
:)

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Hey Frankie:
Thanks for sharing that. That was great. I didn't know you were going to India - will you keep blogging while on the road?

Out Of Jersey said...

amen to that.

MB said...

Small wonder he's your best friend.

hollibobolli said...

I am so glad you shared that.. thank you. Seriously - thank you. I needed to read that now more than ever.

I want to go to India with you!!!

SIGH!!

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Frankie - your friend seems like a really wonderful person, and it sounds as if he's having the adventure of a lifetime. And that you're going to have one soon, too! India! swoon swoon. I can't wait to read about your trip, and hopefully see photos! And thanks for sharing this email - a wonderful peek into a stranger's life!

Dana said...

Wonderful people seem to flock together.

I have had some of the experiences your friend so eloquently writes about and it renews me with hope.

And fills me with excitment for you!

xoxo

alan said...

Had read this last night when I came home and then got caught up in baking and never came back...forgive me!

You have such a wonderful heart, I have to agree with him, you will be fantastic at this! I have thought that if something were to happen to my beloved, I might do something along those lines as well...teaching English or something along those lines.

I can only imagine the beauty he has seen, or that you will be seeing. Hopefully a digital camera will travel with you for when you can hit an internet cafe and update us? (Please?)

alan