About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Am Awake

I’ve been having so much difficulty sleeping lately. What it is, I’m not really sure: anxiety, excitement, anticipation, a combination of it all. It just feels as though I’ve taken a turn towards something new, some new way of looking at the world and my place in it. It just feels as though nothing will ever be the same way again.

In a good way. In the best way. A week from today, I turn 21. Everyone jokes that it’s all downhill from there. It’s the last birthday of the “oh I can’t wait until I’m finally ___ so that I can finally ___.” At 16 it was driving, at 18 it was buying cigarettes and voting, and at 21 it’s drinking. I’ll legally be of age to do anything I desire.

Which inevitably raises the question, “what do I desire?” Of course there’s the obvious answers: life, love and happiness, but there’s more. There’s so much more. I want adventure. I want to travel to foreign countries and foreign realms of my mind that I have yet to discover. I want to explore. I want to dig deep into the depths of me and only find more layers. I want to understand the earth, not where or what or how, but why it makes me feel so eternally grateful. I want to dance. I want to put my arms out and spin with the universe, the way that I did as a child. I want to look up at the sky, at the sun and the moon and the stars, and feel at home. I want to feel connected. I want my mind and heart and body and soul to work as one, to shine and radiate with love’s companion, joy. I want to finally embrace my own advice and live each day to the fullest. I want to live.

It seems so utterly appropriate that two weeks after my 21st birthday, when I’ve tired of the initial excitement of having no restrictions, I’ll be leaving for India. It seems so utterly perfect that over the next month, I’ll finally be able to let go of those limitations that have been put upon me, that I’ve put upon myself. I’ve spent the majority of my life playing by the rules, doing what I thought was expected of me, listening to what others needed from me. I’ve spent so much time trying so avidly to be selfless, that I’ve ended up losing that part of me that needed to be selfish, that needed time and energy devoted to it. In so many ways, I’ve neglected myself.

And then suddenly here at 4am, an epiphany! From a series of little inspirations that have meant the world to me these past few weeks: Tommy’s remarkable emails, Jane’s thoughtful insights, Sam’s words of kindness, Sharp’s unbelievable wisdom, Meghan’s good advice, Ryan’s nonsense, Kelly’s portrayal of unconditional love, my mother’s honesty, and of course, the beautiful words of my fellow bloggers. It suddenly all added up, all simultaneously clicked in my head at just the right moment. This is my life, my one and only life, and it’s okay to allow myself to feel as though I deserve to be happy. It’s okay to feel as though I am deserving of happiness, because I am, because we all are. I wish that I could listen to myself the way that my friends listen to me. I wish that I could hear my own wisdom. If I were to step outside myself and give me advice, I’d tell me that nothing but my own contentment matters. I’d tell me that it’s a waste to sit around festering in self-doubt, analyzing my every move, questioning the validity of my emotions. I’d tell me that the here and now is waiting for me to jump into it. I’d tell me to jump.

I’ve been having so much difficulty sleeping lately, but in a good way. In the best way. I feel energized and motivated. I feel alert and alive. I feel ready to jump into the moment, into my life, into the universe incessantly burning with beauty. I feel so ready to live, as though the course of my existence so far has lead up to this moment, this morning, this reawakening of my soul. I am awake. I am here. I am ready for the new day.

18 comments:

meghan said...

Jump! It's such a cliche but there is just NO TIME to waste on not being/ doing what it is you want to be! You have it now, at 20 - the burning desire to live your life to the best of your ability. Use it to make decisions while you are still young and brave. Take it from someone who has taken those risks. You won't regret it.

Annie Z said...

Thinking of you, Frankie. It was so good to read your last paragraph. May your renewed energy help you to thrive! And may we both get a good nights sleep tonight, so that the good energy stays alive!

JTL
xxx

TJ said...

Oh I remember that excitement. Looking back I was flat over whelmed with " I am a grwon up now. The total boss of ME!" To be honest I still get the same excitement from time to time...it is so freeing.
Do be happy, do love yourself, do all that you can and be all the you want. One tip, save 10% every week no matter what and do not touch it! You won't be sorry.
You got girl..Life awaits!
Hugs
TJ

Sky said...

This is such an incredibly wonderful time in your life! I am so glad you are feeling the exhilaration of your own power.

As you may know my husband is from India. You are going to have an extraordinary visit seeing things you can't even imgaine, some beautiful, some sad, some thrilling, some confusing, all remarkable.

I have not read your whole blog so I am not sure what the goals of this trip are; what you will be doing. I will try to catch up on old posts at some point, but would love it if you can summarize the plans you might have in a future post.

You are a fabulous writer. Your words often carry the wisdom of many years. (I was surprised you are so young.)

Good luck in your journey, Frankie. I hope you will stay connected to this blog while you are traveling. There are internet cafes in some of the larger Indian cities.

Hugs,
Sky

TJ said...

I lit off some virtual fireworks for your Birthday and left you a birthday message in my blog LOL!
Hugs TJ

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Good Morning!

That was a really excellent post. I could practically feel the buzzing as I read it. My own day seems a little more energized, now. :-)

It's good to hear that things are suddenly clicking together. This has happened to me a lot lately, too. Suddenly, I just "see" that a whole whack of people & situations all have "co-incidentally" lined up to deliver the same message. I am so thankful when that happens. It is a real gift.

Out Of Jersey said...

If it's drinking at 21, then what do I have to look forward to at 32?

Anonymous said...

Oh Frankie...we were definitely on the same wavelength when we each wrote our blogs in the wee hours of the night. I have always loved the word kindred. We are kindred spirits and I like the way that connection feels. Stay awake. Go! And do! Love! Find joy and everything inbetween. Live your most amazing life, my friend.

gkgirl said...

hurrah...

you will be great!
i can feel it
:)

MB said...

Frankie, what a wonderful post for me to read first thing in the morning. Thank you. Your enthusiasm is always contagious!

I want to feel connected. I want my mind and heart and body and soul to work as one
I think this has been the quest of my life. It comes and goes, but the moments I feel it are... well... you know, I think. I don't have words.

Claudia said...

I wish I had known what you know now when I was your age!
I remember the weeks before I left Australia for my holiday In Europe. I couldn´t sleep either because I would lie there dreaming about all of the things I would be seeing and experiencing. I couldn´t wait to get to bed every night and continue the dream and during the day, I wasn´t tired for a second. I was high on expectation, and I wasn´t disappointed!

Anonymous said...

First of all, you can't rent a car or book a cruise until you're 24 so look forward to that!
Secondly, I'm Ron Burgandy?

Dana said...

I think you will continue getting all the things you want! Let the birthday celebration begin!

xoxo

Yasmin said...

You go girl- I feel exactly the same way at 32! One life - and all my life to live it...

alan said...

As long as you keep your heart open, 21 is just the beginning; at 50 I'm the best me I've ever been...

alan

MB said...

What Alan just said is true, you know. It keeps getting better.

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Frankie! I'm sure you know the wonderful Mary Oliver quote: "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" One of my favorites, and I envy you at 21 (almost) have such great perspective, such soul, and such adventure just ready to unfurl at your feet. And the old "downhill from here" thing? Don't believe it! Most women I know feel that 30 has been their most comfortable age, when they feel they finally sort of sink into their skin and begin to feel like "themselves" -- of course, many of us wouldn't ming having our 23-year-old butts in our 30s! But you have many great ages ahead of you. Nothing to dread. So much to anticipate! Now, what's this trip to India? Are you going alone? group? I'm so eager to hear more!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

This line - I want to dig deep into the depths of me and only find more layers - resonates in my very soul Frankie. Yes, yes, yes. This is it. And to dance and live.
You deserve this happiness and more. Yes you do. Never forget this. I have been playing with this image of being awake in my own life. To stop being a passive observer but to live it. Thank you for the inspiration to continue to do this.