About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, February 04, 2006

When Death Comes

I apologize for the lack of updates. Things have been rather hectic lately.

I went to my grandfather’s funeral yesterday. He wasn’t there. His ashes had already been spread over the countryside days before. I was going to say I’m sure he was there in spirit, but I still haven’t really decided what I believe about the afterlife. I’m still not really sure if I would have even liked to believe he was there in spirit.

It was a beautiful service, very simple and quiet and heartwarming, much like my grandfather. It was a great tribute to him. I was especially moved by my mother who stood up to speak from the heart, with no pre written words to guide her. Although I’m sure she thought about it before she stood up, it didn’t feel like she needed to. She sounded so honest and raw and real. It was the first time I ever remember seeing her like that with anyone but me. I cried as she spoke about what a difficult child she had been, how patient and caring her stepfather was with her. I cried because it was the first time I ever really knew.

Later in the day, I began thinking about my own funeral. I’m sure it sounds relatively morbid considering I’m only twenty, but I thought about what would happen if I died tomorrow. What would the tribute to me look like? Because I’m only twenty, I don’t have a will of any kind made up for myself. I don’t really need one seeing as I don’t own anything of real value to leave anyone. Still, I worry sometimes that my death won’t be handled the way I wish it to be while I’m still alive.

But then, I still don’t know what I believe about life after death. I don’t know if it would even make a difference, if I would even know how things were handled. I guess, deep down, I’d like to think that I would.

It will make me sad to be placed into a box, into the ground. I want every physical feature I have that can be useful to be taken from me and given to someone in need. I want the remainder of me to be made into ash and given back to the wind, the sky, the earth from which I came.

I don’t want a traditional funeral. I don’t want to be remembered in a church or a synagogue. I don’t want a biography read about me listing all of the things I’ve accomplished. I want my friends and family to gather together in some beautiful, inviting place, somewhere outside or in a home that means something to all of us. I want people to laugh. I want the stories shared about me to be the goofy tales that we share with each other now, the little remembrances of character that make us who we are. I want people to know who I was.

On the way to the service, my mother said it was so interesting to read my blog and be able to see me for the person I am, far beyond the label of her daughter. She said it was such a strange realization to be introduced to this identity that she had never recognized in me. It’s sort of true. I am a different person in my writing than I am in reality. I am a different person with my friends than I am with my family. I am a different person right now than I will be a minute from now.

And while all of those sides of me compose the “real” me, I love being able to write because I feel like this is the version of me that I really want to be. This is how I want to be remembered. Not as a person who once had a life, but as a person who loved to live.

17 comments:

meghan said...

WHAT an amazing post. That gave me goosebumps. What a remarkable person you are to write all of the things you do. I'm sure your grandfather was very proud of you. My thoughts are with you.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

a person who loved to live. yes, yes, yes. this shines through in your writing my friend...thank you for sharing all that you do here so that I can learn from your wise words...
I am sending you moments of peace in the midst of everything.
And such a gift to hear your mother speak about things you had not known...

Jamie said...

What a glowing soul you are, Frankie - full of life and truth, insight and love. What a gift that your Mom was able to see you with new eyes. What a gift to us all that you share yourself as you do.

May you be surrounded with peace and love during this time and always.

Jamie

Annie Z said...

Sounds like both you and your Mother are learning more about each other and becoming closer in the process!

My Grandfather died several years ago now. I felt his spirit around me very clearly before the funeral. He died from a brain tumour and so it was a long time being ill and losing his mental faculties. When I felt him around me, he was in a state of confusion and he was trying to ask me what had happened.

At the time, I'd never felt anything like it. But it was such a strong feeling I couldn't dismiss it. I was close to my Grandfather. But I was frightened and a little confused myself and I didn't answer his question.

After the funeral, I didn't feel him again for a long time. I believe that he finally understood what had happened to him and was at peace. It makes so much sense with the nature of his illness.

I've had some other experiences since then with other people close to me. And all these have led me to believe in an afterlife. Not that I expect it to suddenly have you believing. I simply felt moved to tell you my story!

Thinking of you at this time.
JTL
xxx

Dana said...

Frankie, these are amazing complex, yet simple thoughts. I think about some of these things myself. You are quite the breathe of fresh air! xoxo

Unknown said...

I think it's lovely that your mother can get to know the side of you that is expressed in your blog. I think writing can really tell others that deep part of you that can't be expressed every day.
I'm sorry that your grandfather died but I already wrote that. I think ashes being spread in a lovely place is so much less morbid than a coffin going down into a hole, I have never liked the concept of that, it's ok of course, but it has never shown me the beauty of passing on to be remembered.
Your post was beautiful, along with all your others, it's been a few days since my last visit and I missed your blog.
Take care and may the memories of your grandfather live on!
*hugs*

tara dawn said...

Death does not need to knock upon your door for you to be remembered. Each time I read your words, I find myself thinking about you, encompassed in the purest moments of who you are, and I am overcome each time with an overwhelming sense of beauty and passion and truth. Perhaps it sounds strange to say that I remember you each day, but in some way this is the truth. Each day, as I venture out into the world, within my own life and my own self, I carry a piece of you with me. Sometimes it is a phrase you have written. Other times it is a wisdom you have imparted. Still other times it is just a mere sense of wonder and hope that we may one day meet in person and share the reality we speak through our writing in a very real conversation over coffee. But there are those tiny pieces, the small bits of knowledge I gain from reading your words, that I carry with me. And so, it is not necessary in my mind that you (or anyone) only be remembered after death. It is now, in this life, and in this moment, that I am remembering you...the raw, honest beauty of your wise soul and youthful spirit.
Thank you once again for sharing another piece of yourself. I am sure I will carry this with me in the days to come.
Sending my love,
TD

Leah said...

Sweet girl,

I'm so sorry that I haven't been around much lately, but things have been hectic in my life also.

Please know that you and your family will be in my prayers as you deal with the loss of your grandfather. I can tell just by reading your words that he was a very precious soul and will be greatly missed.

Leah

Claudia said...

You are definately moving forward...why is it that our families never really know us?
You´ve been tagged by the way, check my blog!

alan said...

Lurking for a while now, and had to thank you for this post!

I am glad you can share your blog with your Mom. My children read mine, but my wife would "freak" if she knew I was keeping one. She's just now consented to direct deposit and paying a few bills online...

When I was your age, 30 years ago, I thought I wanted a "New Orleans" style funeral; I was still playing trumpet, and thought that was the most wonderful way I could think of to send someone off; the sad music on the way to the grave so everyone could grieve through the music instead of crying; then the "happy they're in a better place" music on the way to the "wake" party after...

I've given that up, knowing how the dollars add up, for a simple cremation; I've told my wife no service, though I am sure there will be a gathering of family. I've picked the most beautiful stretch of road I've ever driven and told her to set the urn on the roof of whatever she's driving, and open it and drive that stretch of road for me while the urn empties. I want no stone to tie people to a place, let us both be free!

Thank you for being you!

alan

Sky said...

What an informative and feeling post. I think it is always important for us to share with those who will be in charge of our bodies after we die just exactly what we want done. If you are not married your parents will be in charge. I hope they will honor your wishes, whatever they might be. If there is any chance they would not, be sure to speak with an attorney. (My parents actually told me they would not honor my wishes when I was still single but a mature adult. They do not agree with the practice of cremation and selfishly believe my wishes should not be honored!) I am married now so they will have no choice in the matter.

You and your mom are enjoying the intimacy of learning more about each other in all aspects of your lives. It is so true that we all wear different hats and access various parts of ourselves based on those in whose presence we are. How neat that your mom has the opportunity, via your blog, to witness your fullness and experience your complexity.

gkgirl said...

wise and thoughtful words...
makes a person think

hollibobolli said...

I'm sorry about your grandfather, but I love what you wrote.

I made my will so detailed for exactly the reasons you listed.. my family will go nuts should they ever have to deal with it, but I don't want a traditional funeral. And left to my family - I don't think it would be anything that represents who I am..

I don't know if you ever watched Six Feet Under, but I loved the idea of the green funeral that they had for one of the characters on there.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

“Whatever is material shape, past, future, present, subjective or objective, gross or subtle, mean or excellent, whether it is far or near — all material shape should be seen by perfect intuitive wisdom as it really is: “This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.” Whatever is feeling, whatever is perception, whatever are habitual tendencies, whatever is consciousness, past, future, present, subjective or objective, gross or subtle, mean or excellent, whether it is far or near — all should be seen by perfect intuitive wisdom as it really is: “This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.” - Buddha Gautama

Alex S said...

Frankie, I just want to say that it is such a gift reading your posts and getting to know you through each of these precious posts. You clearly have such a dear heart and soul. Your grandfather was blessed to have you as his granddaughter. Keep growing, glowing, and living deeply!

Beetlebum said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather.

Yet again, your writing is amazing.

Yasmin said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather - I have only just discivered your post but already I am a fan. You have a true grasp of reality.