About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Question Of Wisdom



Sky so sweetly asked "But, do tell - how did you get to be so wise? What gave those innocent eyes the insight of a woman who has lived on this earth far more years than 21?"

My mom and I were discussing this very question over dinner on my birthday. I've always thought of wisdom as something that comes from experience, and experience as something that comes with age. I was taught very young that it was so important to listen to your elders. It was so important to take in what they were saying, to accept it as truth, to understand that they knew things that I had yet to learn. I do understand that. I listen very closely to the advice they dispense, the stories they share with me. I love that almost everyone who reads and comments on this blog is older than me because they share with me those lessons that they've taken away from their lives.

But when I stop to think about it, I realize that I listen to everyone that way. I learn just as much from the children who tell me stories as I do from the adults. I learn just as much from the friends who see the world so dramatically different than I do as the ones who see it the same way. I learn just as much from listening to myself as I do from listening to everyone else. I am living to learn.

I am living to share my own stories and experiences and wisdom. I think that I've always underestimated myself in terms of what I know. I've never considered myself a particularly smart person. I defined smart people as being those who could make witty jokes about current events at dinner parties, who could get into heated debates about politics, who could eloquently express themselves with intricate and elaborate words. I wasn’t one of those people.

I was the girl who sat back and listened. I was the girl who watched the way people used their hands when they spoke or gave each other slight glances of emotion. I was the girl who noticed when the child in the room was about to get restless or the waiter became frustrated with the customer two tables over. I am still that girl.

The minute my mother said, “where wisdom is concerned, you’re off the charts, you must know that,” I knew it. I realized while we had been talking, my mind had been wandering to the two elderly couples sitting at the table behind us. I know it sounds morbid, but I had been wondering if they were prepared to die. I wondered if they had gotten all that they had hoped out of life, wondered if they had regrets, wondered if they still had plans for the future. I wondered what I would think about at that age, and realized I already do think about those kinds of things. It’s funny that I can be such a child and an adult all at once.

I suppose we all are really. We all have those things that we know and those things we have yet to learn. We all have a future and a past. We are all wise, in our own ways. I have yet to hear of a person who managed to get through their entire life without learning something. It’s nice to think of things that way.

I’ve been thinking so much over this past year about how big my life is, and yet, how small my existence is in the grand scheme of things. As a child I dreamed of changing the world, of becoming a part of history. I wanted to be learned about in schools. I wanted to be remembered long beyond the time when all of the people who knew me had left the earth, but things are different now. All that I want for myself is to know, for me, that my time spent here was worthwhile, and I know that the most important person to deem what is worthwhile is me. I am the creator. I am the narrator. I am the storyteller and this is my story.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet another beautiful post, Frankie. Thanks again. You are definitely the author of your own life and I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day you are discussed in the classroom. Much is still to come. Never stop listening. Never stop learning. What am i telling you for? You already know all this, wise one!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i can see you as "the girl who sat back and listened" - taking everything in...watching others...learning from the looks on their faces, the smiles, the way they hold their bodies, the inflection in their voice, their words.
you are amazing. and i am so happy to have connected with you...
(oh and I love! that you are adding pictures and the brighter look of your blog)

Annie Z said...

Love the new look! Being thinking of going pure white myself!

meghan said...

I exclaimed out loud when I came to your site this morning! What a bright change!! Once again I have enjoyed reading your post. I have NO doubt that if you keep on like this that your words will be studied in classrooms - just keep on writing them down! There is a reason you are so observant, there is a reason you wonder so deeply about things. You are preparing for something big - I just know it!!!

Claudia said...

Love the new background! Suits you much better than the dark one. Once again, lovely post.

Jamie said...

I too exclaimed when I arrived here and saw your new look. It's like it marks your birthday :)

As a coach I am often aware that listening seems to be a dying art. I see every day how people are aching and longing to be heard. How wonderful that you have that ability. I see how deeply you honour it.

And how fantastic that here you can know that people are also listening with rapt attention to your story.

MB said...

Frankie, I like the new bright look of your blog.

One of the things I often am grateful for is that we get to keep learning all our lives. How dull and unforgiving life would be without that! But how challenging it is for the very same reason!

Beetlebum said...

Very cool post. You definitely are wiser than most people our age. I love how you ended this post too. Also...your new blog template is pretty :)

Sky said...

Great new look, girl! Thanks for this very interesting post and for discussing the question I raised.

Listening is so critical to learning. My husband is much like you in that regard...quietly taking it all in and digesting it and gaining insight that others may not glean as swiftly.

Listening is so critical to intimacy and all relationships.

Your future is bright, and as long as you are driving the carriage it is going to be a fabulous ride! :)

Dana said...

I think you have the perfect balance of listening and letting your voice be heard! Don't lose that!

I wonder the same things about people! Glad to know I am not alone in my thoughts...

xoxo