About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Quoting Myself

Since I've been without a computer and haven't had anywhere to update (which makes me increasingly sad by the way), I thought I'd post some lines from past journals that I came across while sorting through my memory trunk. They're nothing particularly special, just reminders to myself of subjects to write about in the future. Basically, I'm attempting to take up space in the sad absence of posts.

"The chirping crickets announce the arrival of night the way trumpeters announce kings."

"What kind of person would I be if I couldn't see the world through a child's eye? What kind of person would I be if I stopped believing in magic? I know there are no fairies lingering among the branches of the shrubs before me, but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I look at them, and even knowing that they're not there, my heart still longs to believe they are."

"It's amazing how rhythmically we all walk, like novice dancers beginning to learn their steps."

"The wind moving slowly through the unsuspecting trees."

"I suddenly felt sublimely comforted, safe, warm. I felt like a child coming in from a day of sledding; stripping out of my snowpants, mittens, scarf; my hands red and stinging from the cold. It's the hot chocolate waiting for me with tiny marshmallows dotting it's dark surface like lilipads in the moonlight. It's that feeling. That happy, childlike feeling of knowing you're home. That place of warmth in a world of cold."

"It's as if nature sings harmoniously with my heart."

"Sometimes I feel alone and blind, rubbing two sticks together to find a spark while the world blazes around me."

"I wonder whether if I were to sit here long enough, the mosquitoes would literally eat me alive. Do I really mind sharing my blood with them? I smack one and it leaves a black imprint on my palm. I try to rub it off, but the image of it refuses to fade. Lady Macbeth's damn spot."

"Often it seems that metaphors are really just beautiful spouts of nonsense."

1 comment:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

These images are gorgeous. I can imagine them as little pieces of art that you would create and present to people just when they needed to read them. I felt them as my gift tonight. Thank you.