About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Friday, December 30, 2005

Why I Should Have Called In Sick Today

This is not going to be elegant or insightful by any means. This is simply going to be me venting about the day. If you’re not in the mood to hear me complain, I suggest you stop reading now.

The last two days at work were fine. I was relatively happy to be there, to see everyone, to realize that I still knew all of the ins and outs the job entails. It was fine, a little lonely, but fine. I was covering for my boss who was out of town for a couple days and I was fully capable of doing his job on my own. The trouble began when he came back this morning. Not only was there not a hint of a “thank you,” there was no recognition of anything I’d done at all.

I know that I’m a needy person, but I don’t think it’s uncalled for to want and expect a little “thanks” or “nice job” or even just excitement to see me after three months of me not working there. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable thing to ask for.

Then, to top it off, he asked me about school and I mentioned how I was toying with the idea of taking a semester off, something I’ll write about in a future blog entry. I guess I don’t talk to many people about it because one, it’s not definite, and two, people tend to have mixed reactions about that kind of thing. I wasn’t necessarily expecting him to say, “great idea!” but I also wasn’t expecting the twenty minute lecture I got about how irresponsible it is and how much I’ll regret it. I was so angry I could cry, and knowing that I was about to, I did the only thing I could do to keep myself from doing so. I shut down.

For the rest of the day, I answered him in quick little responses. I asked a few questions here and there, but mostly tried to keep my distance. “You sure aren’t the bright and cheery Frankie who we last saw,” he said. I could have punched him. Honestly. After barely saying goodbye to me, still with no thank you, I just left and came home feeling bitter and angry and utterly disappointed in him for acting that way, and in myself for caring.

I hate that I want his approval, even now. Even when I think he’s a complete jackass, there’s still a part of me that wants him to respect me. It’s awful. He hasn’t called or sent me a text message, which probably means that he expects me to come in on Monday, which I’m just not going to do. I don’t care how much I need the money. It’s totally not worth it.

In some ways, I think it’s good that it happened. The bright side is that I now remember why I quit in the first place and why I don’t want to go back. I’ve been questioning the decision I made to quit in retrospect, thinking that it wasn’t all bad and at least it was a job, but now I have the reassurance I need to say to myself that it really was pretty bad.

I know that now and I’ll remember it always. Even when he calls on Monday asking me where I am. I think I may finally be at the point where I can tell him why I can’t work there, why I needed to quit in the first place, and why I shouldn’t have come back. “You’re not fair to me,” I’ll say, because that’s the truth. It’s not just that he’s not particularly nice to me, it’s that I’ve let him push me around more than I should have. I’m sick of it and I’m fairly sure that I have every right to be.

All I really wanted was a thank you. Apparently that’s too much to ask.

5 comments:

Out Of Jersey said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day. The only thing I'll say about taking a semester off is make sure you make plans to go back.

gkgirl said...

that sounds like a sucky day indeed
but most likely, for a good reason,
so that you can see the reason you left
before you made any rash decisions to go back...

and school?
this may not be the most popular reaction but i'm a strong beleiver in
perpetual life-long learning...and you don't have to fit it all in at once especially if thats not where you want to be...
that said, however, it is much easier to do while you have no strong ties pulling at you, like children, and mortgages and that sort of thing...
so...
i say, go with your gut.

Anonymous said...

Oh Frankie...I'm sorry your feelings got trounced today but I want you to sit down and take a deep breath before you decide it is payback time. Are you breathing?

Listen, I know it's difficult to want the approval of someone. God knows I've been fierce in chasing that one. But the truth is that it shouldn't matter. People are going to be mean and insensitive and ungrateful and you can't control that. What you can control is how you choose to react. You did a good job. You worked hard. You know that. So, when it's not acknowledged in the way you hoped...don't shut down next time. Continue to do a good job...anyway. You probably aren't going to want to hear what I have to say next BUT...you can stop reading!

Seriously, my advice to you is be professional. Don't play "come fetch me" by not showing up to work on Monday. You are the one who loses then because if he doesn't call you'll be hurt and if he does he'll be angry because of what he will deem a "immature stunt." If you are suppose to show up on Monday--show up. If your not sure if you're suppose to show up--call and ask. And finally, if you have something you need to say to this man then summon the courage and say it. Tell him that it hurts your feelings when he doesn't acknowledge you. Tell him you don't think he's been fair. He probably has no idea how you're feeling. The last line of your post is "Apparently that's too much to ask." The real truth is that you didn't ask. Be brave. Don't just get angry...be responsible...ask for what you truly want.

Unknown said...

Hi from me for the first visit to your blog!
SOrry to hear about your day, he sounds like an ass, and ungrateful, I do really like the response you got from Bean sprout though so I wont go and repeat the obvious. I love your blog and have been reading your comments on cube revs blog. Have a happy new years eve!!

Beetlebum said...

Thank you is not too much to ask for. If you are not getting what you know you deserve, then you should demand it or leave. It's good that you realized why you quit so you won't have to second guess yourself again.