About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Spring had arrived.
The trees blossomed,
the flowers bloomed,
the sky beckoned.
I watched
the swans glide
gracefully
on the surface
of the lapping water
like lilipads.
I listened
to the birds
sweetly
commanding
the arrival
of spring
the way trumpets
announce royalty.
I felt
so consumed
with beauty
that I could do nothing
but run,
run,
as hard and fast
as my little three year old legs could
to the top
of the highest hill
and look down
on the world
like a glorified God,
reveling in my creation.
I held
my head up
into the vastness
of the immeasurable sky
and sang
the only song
I loved
as much as this perfect day.
Somewhere over the rainbow
all days
were perfect like this.
Somewhere over the rainbow
I could stay
like this forever.
Birds fly over the rainbow
why,
oh why,
couldn't I?
And still
I wonder
what waits there,
up above the world,
the clouds,
the heavens.
I still have places
that I wish to go.
I still have songs
that I wish to sing.
I still have rainbows
that I wish to see.
I long
for that escape
into a dream land.
The kind
that existed
in my eyes
as a child,
where good always
conquers evil,
where adventure
looms around
each bend,
where the pursuit of
heart,
brain,
and courage
are more precious
than gold.
The child in me
still knows
it's out there,
dripping from the trees,
hanging in the air,
at the top of every hill,
somewhere over the rainbow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the child in you. To you, I simply say, "Go! And do! Pursue the rainbow!"

liz elayne lamoreux said...

Oh my Frankie - these words are just gorgeous. Thank you. Thank you for sharing them.

Out Of Jersey said...

And now I feel the outside beckoning me. Sigh, thanks a lot for making me realize I'm stuck indoors. ;)

Michelle said...

Beautiful poem. Sometimes I find it difficult to post poetry because of its intimacy. So, thank you for posting this.

MB said...

There is something in this that I hope and trust you will retain all your life, as a germ, as seed, within you.

snowsparkle said...

you've really captured the exhuberance of a child in this... refreshing and wonderful! thanks!

I've been without my internet connection for a while... i'm so glad to be back online wading in my favorite bloggers words. snowsparkle

Nicole said...

That was beautiful, especially reading it on a dreary day!