About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Meditation

Liz sent me this wonderful meditation and I wanted to share it. It's really so wonderful and I highly recommend doing it when you get a chance. It will make everything seem just that much better.

Begin by taking some full, deep breathes. Don't try to force anything, just relax and breathe deep. As you breathe, imagine yourself standing in a grove of tall, strong trees. See yourself as one of those tall, strong trees. Breathe deep and feel the ground beneath you and the sun shining down upon you. Feel your connection to the Earth and become aware that you now have roots where your feet were. Breathe deep and on an exhale, slowly begin to send those roots deep into the ground. Down, down through the grass and the topsoil, Down through soil and rock and the roots of other plants and trees. Through water tables and bones and all the many layers of Earth. Continue to send those roots down, down in search of the Source at the center of the Earth. Begin to feel the energy pulsating as you draw near and feel the heartbeat of the Earth.

When you reach that source of energy deep within the Earth, let it take a form in your minds eye. It may be a huge crystal cluster, or the hot molten core of the Earth. With your roots, tap into that source of energy, breathe deep and feel the energy slowly begin to rise, traveling up your root. Up, up through the layers of Earth and soil and rock. Through roots and seedlings and water tables. Feel the energy rise up your roots, through your feet, your calves you thighs. Let that Mother Earth energy rise through your trunk, your torso, and up, up through your chest and arms and neck. Let it reach your head and just fill you. Stay with this feeling for a moment and just breathe.

Now, imagine you have branches that are tall and wide and reach up to the sky. Feel the air rushing around your branches and the warmth of the sun as it caresses your leaves. Take a deep breath and with it, take in the energy of the sky and the sun. Let it tickle each leaf before being drawn into your branches. On another in breath, take that sky energy deep into your tree and feel it flow down through your head, your shoulders, your arms and chest. Breathe it into your torso, hips and legs. Feel it mixing and mingling with the energies of the Earth. Stay with this feeling for a while and just breathe.

Just breathe.

8 comments:

gkgirl said...

wow...i could feel tingling just reading this...i can't imagine what it would be like actually doing it...
:)

starbender said...

that is truly beautiful!
:)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful meditation. Thanks for sharing it. A great reminder to acknowledge my deep roots and my long body. Thank you! Thank you!

Cinnamon Spider! said...

Aww that's so pretty. I am definately going to try it when stressed. I really like the story there.

snowsparkle said...

thank you frankie, i needed this today... what a kind gift to share: something to rejuvinate my sagging spirit in winter. --snowsparkle

liz elayne lamoreux said...

So glad you enjoyed it...it is a good one.

intentionally left blank said...

this meditation technique is inspiring. i first considered meditation last september when i attended a lecture david lynch gave in philadelphia. ive always been a fan of his movies, but apparently he is an advocate of transcendental meditation, and wanted to promote its use around the country. in my ignorance i didnt realize that trascendental meditation is copyrighted and can only be learned at authorized locations. that disappointed me. but this has inspired me to look for other, non-copyrighted techniques

Yewtree said...

We use this meditation a lot in circle, it's called grounding and centering. You have expressed it very poetically though.

Nice blog, too.