About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Running With Scissors

"Freedom was what we had. Nobody told us when to go to bed. Nobody told us to do our homework. Nobody told us we couldn't drink two six-packs of Budweiser and then throw up in the Maytag. So why did we feel so trapped? Why did it feel like I had no options in my life when it seemed that options were the only thing I did have?.....More than anything, I wanted to break free. But free from what? That was the problem. Because I didn't know what I wanted to break free from, I was stuck."
~From Running With Scissors by Augesten Burroughs

3 comments:

Nicole said...

OMG, I've felt the same way. Awesome quote!

Leah said...

I just heard they're making a movie out of this book.

Ellie said...

Frankie--
I have no idea if you know who I am or not, (I think I may have been in eighth grade when you graduated) but I am completely in love with your blog! As a players kid myself, I have to say that I've heard a ton about you, and your blog simply confirms that you must be one of the coolest people ever.

Just thought I'd take a moment to let you know how great this is to read!
--Ellie