About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, January 19, 2006

What I Like About You

You are a fool.
You dance in the rain with no shoes on.
You speak your mind no matter how random,
Inconsequential,
Insane,
Your thoughts may be.
You don’t care what anyone thinks
About the way you choose to express yourself,
The way you choose to live.
You follow your heart
To places no one else dares to go,
And still, you’re always in control
Over the situation at hand,
Commanding and demanding
The direction of your journey.

You are a fool
Not to understand how remarkable that is,
Not to understand what that means to me.
You allow me to be free.
Free
Like the way it feels to sneeze while you’re driving,
That sudden sense of letting go,
Where there is no control
Over the moment,
But only that release,
Like when music builds to its highest point
Before breaking.

You are a fool
For showing the beauty of that to me
Because now every song that I hear reminds me of you
And the way that we dance,
My goodness how we dance
Like utter fools.
And we don’t care what anyone thinks
While the music’s playing
Because the music is simply a metaphor
For the way we think and live
To the beat of our own drum,
The way we laugh and love
Amidst all of our beauty,

And all of its utter foolishness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...fools! What I love about fools is that they have no fear to hold them back.

snowsparkle said...

wow!!! i love this piece. my heart is dancing too!

daringtowrite said...

I'm beginning to suspect that I may be inspired to leave comments to each of your posts. I love this poem. I think it is an amazing tribute.

Lita said...

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO :)

gkgirl said...

holy.

that was amazing.

the music building,
the loss of control,

holy.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

love this image of the fool...the letting go. fantastic.