About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Details

It’s always my first instinct to smile. Sometimes I don’t even notice that I’ve been smiling at a person until they smile back, and suddenly I realize how strange I look standing around smiling at strangers. It’s not that it’s an attribute I dislike, but I find that sometimes I wish that I could look a little less approachable.

Every time I step out of my car at any kind of convenience store I am, without fail, approached by any homeless person who may be outside. It doesn’t really bother me, but combined with my inability to lie or say no, I tend to end up spending a lot of extra money just giving it away. It’s really fine with me. I figure I probably wouldn’t end up spending it on anything more productive than they will, but I still often think to myself “why me?”

This morning on my way in, a man called out “Hey! Buy me a cup of coffee?” He said it like we were old friends, and I responded as such. “Of course! Just plain coffee?” He wanted an extra large, cream, two sugars. I liked that he said it as though he were ordering in a restaurant. It was refreshing to have someone ask for something inside instead of just plain money. It somehow made me feel much more useful.

There used to be a man outside WaWa that I’d see on a regular basis. I got used to the routine of leaving the store, handing him my change, and talking to him for a while. He had so many ideas and opinions about the political and social state of our country. He wore a button on his shirt that read “war is not the answer,” and it always made me smile.

He used to comment on my shoes a lot, these bright yellow high-tops that I’d wear around simply because they looked so ridiculous. He even once offered to steal me a pair of green ones from Famous Footwear, but I declined for obvious reasons. Still, I always think of him with a certain fondness for making such an offer. He was always really sweet like that, and I was glad that he stopped me to have those little chats. I liked that he felt like he could talk to me.

People always seem to feel that way, which I really genuinely love, despite the occasional person who relinquishes a little too much information. Those 11am drunks who start talking to me on the street about all the ways the world wronged them, those I could do without. Otherwise though, I take great pride in the stories I pick up along the way. It’s nice to have these little secrets in the back of my mind. It’s nice to know how a complete stranger takes his coffee, and I’ll always remember that, whether or not I ever end up buying him another cup. It’s nice to know these little details about people that make them who they are.

And isn’t that who we are? Are we really anything more than just a collection of specific details that come together to create our identity? I don’t know, perhaps I’m over simplifying us. I guess I just wouldn’t mind defining myself as the smiling girl with yellow high-tops who buys homeless men coffee, because I think really, that just says it all.

11 comments:

daringtowrite said...

And how could anyone resist smiling back, just like I am doing now. What a gift for writing you have and what a gift you are.

Anonymous said...

Love this post! And it is so true what you say about the details. The details are what allow us a glimpse into another's world. The details breed intimacy. IN-TO-ME-SEE. See into me. Thanks for allowing me a glimpse into you, a sweet and generous soul in wild yellow hightops!

Annie Z said...

I so admire you for doing all those little things for strangers. Those little actions would bring so much joy to the people who receive them. And, you are right, it is those little things that make us who we are. And for you, it makes you a warm, compassionate and generous person who selflessly helps others and brightens their day.

hannah said...

What lovely thoughts. It's nice to smile at a stranger and have them smile back, when for a split second you feel like you're old friends sharing an unspoken secret. And it's nice to notice the details.

Jamie said...

And here you are smiling on your blog, inviting us all in to your stories, to share in your vibrant energy - what a treat for us!

And thanks, Frankie, for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice message! It was awesome to connect with you.

belle said...

i love this post! i too smile at complete strangers, i also say hello to them and tell them to have a great day. when i lived in NYC, i would always do this, and a friend of mine would always say "you don't even know him!" but so what? smiles are definitely contagious...more people should take your lead!!

Heather said...

Frankie - I'm glad you've stopped by, cause now I've found your site! I like your style of writing.
And I agree - the definition of being the smiling girl with yellow high tops who buys homeless men coffee, is a good thing!

snowsparkle said...

oh frankie... you are beyond fabulous in this piece! love your voice and spirit.... how lucky the world is to have you here, now!

tara dawn said...

What a beautiful soul you are! I am so grateful to have connected with you. The vibrancy and passion of your spirit shines through your words. Yellow hightops, smiling face, coffee orders for the homeless...you've filled my heart with a much-needed happiness today. Thanks, Frankie!!!
xoxo

MB said...

Ah, Frankie, the world needs more loving souls like yours. Thank you for being true to your ideals.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

You make my heart feel lighter Frankie. Love this image of you with your yellow high tops smiling at everyone...I am a smiley person too (even when I don't feel smiley) and it can lean to interesting moments with people...in a good way of course.