About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Simple, Ordinary, Absolutely Wonderful Day

What a beautiful day filled with simple pleasures. I’m not quite sure what made me so extremely aware of details on this seemingly ordinary day. Perhaps it was watching the movie Amelie again yesterday (one of my favorites), or perhaps it was from the lack of sleep I got last night, either way, I’m so grateful that it happened.

I was running early for a meeting, so I drove around for a little while, watching the surrounding world. I love turning off onto little previously unexplored side streets, getting to drive as slowly as I like in an attempt to take everything in. I watched four boys playing football on their lawn, tackling one another and laughing with a kind of tender innocence that only resides in the hearts of children. I watched the leaves rise and fall with the wind, dancing as they hovered above the ground. I watched the people in the cars that passed me, so unaware that they were visible, singing and dancing along with their radios. I smiled and laughed and rejoiced in the solitude of my own car, knowing that I was visible, hoping someone was watching.

My meeting was with one of my bosses who, knowing that I need some extra cash for India, asked me to do some additional work helping him out with some “personal affairs.” Basically he wants me to help him arrange his office, which I would happily do for free, but am delighted to get paid for. The best part of our meeting was his asking me if the usual rate would be enough for such a thing. It was such a sweet and wonderful thing to ask. I guess I tend to be overly appreciative of little considerations like that, but it really was just so lovely to be asked. Of course, I said it was more than enough and wanted to add that I would have done it for much less, but decided that I usually regret saying things like that, so I’m going to be a little greedy for once. After all, I do have a plane ticket to buy.

When I got home, I had a slip for a package that I’d missed the delivery of, so I made my way to the post office to pick it up. On the way, I passed a grown man in a statue of liberty costume standing outside liberty mutual insurance, handing out flyers. My first reaction was to feel sorry for him. It’s one thing to have a horrible job when you’re young, but to be humiliated to such a degree when you're middle aged just seems so unfair. I was sitting at a red light sympathizing with him, when I suddenly began to notice how much fun he was having. He was hopping up and down and talking to people as they passed by, waving to all the cars that passed. He was reveling in how absolutely ridiculous he looked and I loved him for it. I loved that he embraced the humor of the moment and just went with it. I smiled and waved to him as I passed, thinking how much better the world would be if more people could be like him. He made me so happy.

As did the package I picked up. It was an unexpected box of treasures from my best friend who’s in China for the year. Honestly, the box could have been empty and it still would have meant the world just to know that he was thinking of me, but the fact that it was filled with some of the most perfect presents I’ve ever received, just made my heart sing. I love when I receive presents that really express who I am, because it reassures me of how I come across to other people, it shows me a reflection of myself in their eyes. As I said yesterday, he seems to know me better than I know myself. He knew I’d love it all, and I do, so endlessly.

And to top it all off, I had a nice chat with a good friend who I hadn’t had a long conversation with in a while. All in all, it was an amazing day. A simple, ordinary, absolutely wonderful day.

8 comments:

Dana said...

What a lovely post and thoughtful post.

gkgirl said...

i'm happy you had a lovely day...
sounds great...
and yay for packages
:)
in our "package" today was
a brand new dell computer
woohoo
:)
(that my husband mistakenly beleives
to be JUST his...baahahahaha)

Alex S said...

Greetings! I found your site from asweetlife.blogspot.com and a comment you had posted there, and then clicked to you. I'd never seen that Jack London quote before. From where is that?
I'm new to blogging and am just awed at how many fantastic journals online there are to wander through. I'm bookmarking yours and look very forward to your travels in India! (lucky you!)

Cinnamon Spider! said...

You are very cute Frankie. I love how everything touches you and heart and you always have so much optimism. It is quite a nice break to read your sweet words.
That package must have been a nice little treat for you especially as all the presents were amazing. I'm happy for you, I expect your friend thinks of you all the time.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

Oh Frankie this is so much fun. Such a beautiful day filled with joy. I love the way your write about all of it - the happiness bubbles over...
Thank you for sharing this.

tara dawn said...

Such simple ordinary pleasures are the very essence of a fulfilling life. How refreshing to read about your day. May you experience many more of these!
And just to let you know, I absolutely love your writing, your way with words. I began reading a week or so ago, and look forward to learning more of your journey through this life.
-Tara Dawn

Beetlebum said...

Your day sounds lovely. I love what you wrote about the man in the statue of liberty costume, and about people singing and dancing in their cars. I love driving alone and getting to enjoy the solitude and the scenery.

Annie Z said...

So glad that you had a wonderful day. Wednesday was also a good day for me! It must have been in the air!
JTL
xxx