About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, January 23, 2006

An Unoriginal Thought

Sometimes I feel like I’m incapable of an original thought. It’s as though my mind works in these endless cycles that just forget and renew the same revelations over and over again. It’s not that I mind the cycle. I like the delight that comes from rekindling an epiphany, from discovering it in an unexpected time and place. Still, I often wonder if I’m making any progression.

It’s funny how song lyrics and poems and stories hold different meanings each time I discover them. I like the way children’s books always seem so profound when I read them as an adult. I like the way a song that meant nothing to me five years ago can suddenly seem like it was written just for me. I like the way concepts far beyond my grasp a short while ago seem so obvious to me now.

And yet, as I read over old blog entries, I can’t help but be struck at how similar they all are. Everything I write makes me pause and wonder if I’ve written it all before, if I spend my time just quoting ideas back to myself. I guess there’s nothing wrong with that, except the whole reason I write is to discover something new, to dig a little deeper into my soul. It’s frustrating that I can’t seem to reach a new plateau of understanding. Perhaps I’m just too impatient.

Lately I’ve been talking with a dear friend about life choices. He’s reached one of those inevitable forks in the road where one questions the path their on. I think he’s making the decision to change his, and it got me thinking about all of the changes I’ve made, even just in this past year. It’s so strange to think that even within the cycles, within the similarities of my entries, I see the world so differently than I once did. The older I get, the shorter my life seems, and I value my time so much more. I know that I’m only twenty, and I have a long way to go, but who really knows? Today could be the last day of my life.

Maybe it sounds really cheesy, but what I’ve been thinking about this past week is how okay I’d be with that. I spent a long time feeling so frustrated that I didn’t have a set plan for my life, that each day I’d get up not knowing where I was headed. It annoyed me that while I followed my heart, I also had to accept that life does go on, and that I couldn’t realistically live each day as though it were my last. At some point, practicality and logic would always seep in.

Somewhere along the way, I decided to fight it. I wish that I knew when or where or how that changed, but I don’t. What I do know is that I’ve become more of a lovey-dovey hippie in the past year than I had ever planned on becoming. I cast aside all of those practical voices nagging at me and decided that I would go to sleep each night feeling complete. I do feel complete, even though there are a thousand things I want to do and feel and experience and change about myself, I somehow feel complete.

I think it’s mostly because I make sure, each and every day, that the people I love know that I love them. I’m by no means saying that I want my life to end anytime soon, but if for some reason it did, I would leave this world knowing that I shared all the love I could while I was here, and because of that, I’d know that my time here was worthwhile. I know that it’s worthwhile.

I still don’t have a plan. I still feel unoriginal and restless and hungry for more, but I also feel a kind of sublime contentment with things that I haven’t felt in a while. That I haven’t felt since the last time around. I’m probably really insane, and this living in the moment lifestyle will come back to haunt me someday when all of my friends become doctors and lawyers and I’m living from paycheck to paycheck in an attempt to “find myself.” Still, for now, the present thrills me it’s in uncertainty and I could die right now feeling happy and complete. Maybe it’s not original, but it’s me.

5 comments:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

frankie - i think this is what it is all about. loving the people around you, finding your way on your path. your way. not the way society, family, peers tell you to go. the way you want/need/have to go. and i agree, i sometimes find myself saying the same things but it is like i actually hear them and they resonate in a different way.
you remind me about the importance of finding the happiness.

gkgirl said...

i beleive also
that the "plan"
unfolds...
you may be sure of what you want
at twenty,
but at thirty,
you may want something
totally and completely different...
it all hinges on life experience

if i had gone with all that i
"thought" i wanted in my "plan"
at nineteen,
i would either be divorced right now,
or married to the WRONG man
and working at the department store
i started working out working at...

you change, things change,
it all comes together...
you have the right attitude
:)

snowsparkle said...

nowadays, the world is wide open via the internet and the choices are myriad. when i was twenty, i was lucky in a way because my life experiences had been driven by practicality and duty and so my path seemed singular and obvious. got a job right out of college, got married, bought a house, late in life had a kid, and now at 52 i'm finally doing what you're doing at 20. in hindsight i realize there's no right way to do life other than to have faith in doing whatever makes you feel most alive and going after it with great passion.

Out Of Jersey said...

Frankie,
If God wanted you to be an attorney he'd have lead you on that path a long time ago.

There's an old saying,
"Do not worry about tomorrow, for who by worrying adds another day to his life?"

Beetlebum said...

One thing that is so great about your writing is how much people can relate to it. Or at least I can. And every time I read something of yours it makes me want to go write, to find something out about myself. I love what you said about letting the people you care about know you care about them every day.

Jorge Luis Borges (whose stuff I've read in my spanish classes) believed that there is nothing original left. He believed that everything that is written now is just something old being redone. I don't believe him. New thoughts and ideas, whether they are new to us or revived, are constantly changing and being reformulated in ways that they were not before. With that said, I don't think you're unoriginal.