About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Friday, January 20, 2006

That's Your Family

I was never very close to my family. It wasn’t necessarily that we didn’t get along with each other. It was more that I never felt very connected to them. I didn’t feel like any of us really understood one another. With the exception of my mother, my family was a separate entity from my friends. Friends were the people I wanted in my life and family members were the people I was stuck with it.

It was especially true of my siblings. I love my brothers and sister, don’t get me wrong, but we never hung out with one another the way other siblings did. We never spent time together just for the sake of spending time together. It was tougher, in our defense, to bond. Nate and Jenny, my half siblings, are 18 and 21 years older than me, respectfully. They were both out of the house by the time I was 3 (they lingered as I am), so they weren’t a big part of my immediate life.

Harry, my younger brother by 3 years, and I for the most part always got along, but we were --are-- different people. We never really fought, but we never really spent enough time together to have the opportunity to. We lead different lives. By the time he was 13, he had dropped out of school and was determined to find life outside of the private school world that I was so involved in. My school was my life. All my friends were there, all the parties and events I attended were in the surrounding neighborhood of Chestnut Hill. I was happy with my small life and he wasn’t. Neither of us could grasp, or wanted to grasp, the alternative life the other had chosen, so we just stepped aside and allowed ourselves to grow apart.

And then came Zoe. Nate and Zoe were married in October of 2004, the week my parents decided to separate. It was the worst timing and I remember calling my best friend right after the wedding and crying for hours. It wasn’t just that there was a wedding to remind me of a love that my parents no longer shared, but they were awful to one another, sharing a bitterness I had never really seen in them. I left angry and heartbroken with their behavior, and angry and heartbroken that I couldn’t really revel in my brother’s new found happiness.

When I finally did get the opportunity to, when I moved passed the divorce of my parents and the anger with my father (for the most part), I got to see Zoe, really see her, for the phenomenal person she is. Nate is so lucky to have found such a wonderful wife and we are so lucky to have her become a part of our family. I love my sister-in-law. She’s this amazing person filled with energy and light and laughter, and what I adore most about her is her dedication to family. Over dinner once, she said “yeah, but don’t you want to know about them? I mean, that’s where you come from. That’s your family.” I smiled a sort of half smile, suddenly feeling unexpectedly embarrassed that I didn’t know them, that I hadn’t ever really wanted to. Why didn’t I want to?

From then on, things were somehow different. Zoe always called and invited me to family gatherings at the new house she and Nate moved in to. They always listened to what I had to say about myself and my life. They told me stories about their own. I’ve learned more about Nate in the last six months than I have in the past twenty years. We bonded over struggles with our father and our siblings. He told me things about my sister that I’ve never been able to drag from her. All of the pieces started to come together. This is where I come from.

Last night we went out to dinner and then to watch Zoe’s nephew, who’s sort of my nephew by association, perform as Daddy Warbucks in his school’s rendition of Annie. Sitting there, delighting in Jared’s smile as he walked out onto the stage, holding his little brother Gabe in my lap, my brother and sister-in-law laughing on either side of me, I finally understood what Zoe was trying to say about family. This was it. This overwhelming sense of pride and happiness was what being a family was all about. This is where I come from and this is where I belong.

13 comments:

Out Of Jersey said...

It's good that you have these memories to share.

Anonymous said...

Always nice to acknowledge your roots..."this is where I come from." Our family of origin will always be a part of the legacy we build for ourselves (no matter what). Thanks for the post...it reminds me of some reconcilation work I need to do with my own family.

snowsparkle said...

you've compressed so much life so deftly into these few paragraphs and with such fullness of emotion that i feel as though i've spent an afternoon getting to know your family. i'm happy that zoe helped you connect to where you're from. family is important especially as you get older. thank you for opening this door for us. snowsparkle

belle said...

as said in another comment, i too am happy that the addition of zoe in your life has helped to connect you to your family. it continually amazes me how, at the very moment when needed, people enter our lives...we may not know when they will come or why they are there but still they in some way teach us something and enrich our lives. thanks for sharing this. ~Belle

daringtowrite said...

I like this glimpse into where you come from and where you are going. I especially like the way, through your way with words, you invite me along as a compassionate witness.

Annie Z said...

What a beautiful story. That you can describe so much of yourself in just a few paragraphs is amazing. Your story, and that the fact that you shared it so openly, is heartwarming.

I can relate to not being close to your siblings for them being so much older. My first brother was married when I was 7 and my other brother when I was 11. Not as big an age gap as yours, but the same story.
I'm so glad you've been able to become closer to your family.

JTL

Lita said...

memories...such wonderful ones!!!

gkgirl said...

beautiful
and
moving

Unknown said...

that's great, Zoe sounds like she found importance in family and through that you got to know your parents better.
It's beautiful :)

Nicole said...

When I was married, I enjoyed finally having a "brother and sister" in my in-laws. So many people nowadays don't recognize those "married in" as family members, it's wonderful that you have that relationship with Zoe.

Ellie said...

Frankie this entry was so beautiful. And also remarkable because it parallels my own story so much that its a little firghtening. When my brother got married, my parents were just about separating. My sister-in-law brought me back from my family slump.

Wow... how's that for coincidence?

Anyway, I don't think there are many stories more amazing than those that tell of deep, beautiful connections. You captured it impeccably.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh frankie, this post had me crying. beautiful. to find that family within your family. just beautiful. thank you for sharing this.

hollibobolli said...

I really understand feeling a sibling disconnection - that all I can say about that.

I'm so happy for you. To go from one end of the spectrum to the other.. it just has to be.. wonderful.