About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Good Grief

Not to be the epitome of depressing, but I need to write another sad post. My grandfather died this morning. He was my step grandfather, but I never once thought of him as being my “step” grandfather except that my mother never called him “dad.” He was the only grandfather I ever knew.

How lucky I am to have known him. He was a really amazing person, full of life and passion right up to the end. I was always so surprised at his ability to have deep, intellectual conversations at his age, and even more so at his wide knowledge of pop culture. I loved how at his 88th birthday party, he wanted to discuss “those silly desperate housewives on TV.” I loved how when I got home from Bonnaroo, he called me to talk about the article he’d read on it, how they said it was like a modern day Woodstock, and how he was so jealous that I got to go. He always went out of his way to take an interest in my life, and I loved him for it.

December 26th was the last day I saw him. He had already begun the inevitable fight against his ending days. He looked so skinny and small, moving his tired feet in tiny little steps along the carpeted floor, shuffling from place to place. Still, he never looked sick. He still carried himself with that certain dignity that seemed to radiate from him all his life. His intelligence always seemed to enter the room just before he did, announcing his arrival.

He loved the Peanuts cartoons and I always think of him whenever I see Charlie Brown or Snoopy. All of the birthday cards I’ve ever gotten from him had the Peanuts gang on the cover. They always made me smile. He was a lot like those cartoons I think, so good-hearted, so filled with wisdom and joy, so loveable. You just wanted to hug him constantly.

Something I adored most about him was the way he looked so surprised every time I did hug him, as though I had done something so unexpected, given him something so extraordinary. I think he was the one who taught me how extraordinary a hug is, how precious a gift. I don’t know if I ever told him that.

There are things I regret of course, as one always does when a loved one dies. I regret not telling him that. I regret not holding on a little bit longer the last time we hugged goodbye. I regret not saying something more significant as my last words to him. I can’t even remember what they were.

I was sad when my mom told me about him after I’d gotten home from work this afternoon, but part of me wished I could have been sadder. I didn’t cry and somehow I felt as though I ought to, as though that would somehow prove exactly how much I cared for him. I suppose since his death didn’t come as too much of a surprise, I had already had time to deal with it, to accept it. I’ve been preparing for both of my grandparents’ deaths for some time now, hoping that it would make it a little easier.

Of course, it’s never easy, but there’s so much comfort in knowing what a great life he lead. He was happy and wonderful and loved. He was what I hope to be when I reach the end. He was what I hope to be each and every day of my life. He was an extraordinary human being, and I will miss him more than he will ever know. I love you Grandpop, forever and always.

8 comments:

gkgirl said...

beautiful words

i'm sorry for your loss..

tara dawn said...

Both this post, as well as your last one, have touched me very deeply and personally. How much I would like to share with you right now, in the commonalities of our feelings and the similarities of some experiences. But now is not the time for my sharing. I am grateful for your words, and your sharing of such intense and personal feelings. What strength you are bringing me, my friend. My love is with you!

snowsparkle said...

your grandpa would be so happy to know you've shared his loving spirit with strangers across the globe. what a fitting tribute to him by the grandaughter (you!)in whom his love and kindness continues to live on! you are fabulous frankie! love and big hugs, snowsparkle

daringtowrite said...

What a beautiful tribute and what a legacy he has left in you. I'm so sorry for your loss and so grateful for your sharing.

Dana said...

Hugs, Frankie.

What a sweet sweet man you have described. How blessed you both were!

xoxo

Out Of Jersey said...

Hey Frankie, sent some of yoru writing to a poet friend of mine. He thought it was great stuff. Do you want to send a poem to me to publish on my blog?

Unknown said...

Sweet Frankie!
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather (I havent been blog hopping much over the past few days to keep up) It's so hard when a loved one dies, and you don't necessarily need to cry bucket fulls, but throughout your life when you remember him the tears will flow, but mostly happy tears of the good times you had.
I knew that my dad was dying, so every night before leaving him I made sure to kiss him, but also held back a little not to freak him out! thank you for sharing about your grandfather, and letting us know what he was like.
Take care now x

liz elayne lamoreux said...

The gift of feeling a hug, really feeling it. This is beautiful Frankie. I am so sorry that you have lost your grandfather. You have written about him so eloquently here. Thank you for sharing your feelings...be gentle with yourself as you navigate through grief.