About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Friday, January 13, 2006

The First Step

It was extremely appropriate that Friday the 13th began the way that it did. It was such a grey and dreary morning, the world moving languidly through the thickening fog. Everything seemed so slow and quiet. It certainly had that scary movie quality to it.

I tend to love mornings like that. Somehow everything seems to shine so vividly juxtaposed against the blank canvas of a cloud ridden sky. The naked branches of the trees stand black and bold against the white light behind them. They look like the negative of a photograph. They look like a painting of silhouettes. They look beautiful.

Today I received the beginning sets of my India information and got a chance to speak with the head of our program. Sarah, a delightful British woman, spoke to me all about what I’ll be doing, why I’ve decided to do it, how happy she was that I did. Suddenly, it all became so real.

Suddenly, I’m so very excited. It’s finally beginning to really sink in. I’m going India. In less than two months, I’m going to be on a twenty hour plane ride, alone, on my way to discover the world. Everything about this is so crazy. People keep asking me why I’m doing it. I guess it’s pretty ridiculous that I don’t really have an answer, nothing more than “it just feels right,” which is usually the reason I make most of the decisions that I do. But it just feels right.

Meghan asked me, “Do you think you’ll find yourself in India?” I don’t know if we ever really “find” ourselves, but I truly believe that every step we take is a step towards that kind of self realization, and this is certainly a big step. I think it’s impossible for this experience to leave my life unchanged. It’s impossible for me not to give myself whole heartedly to this, to allow every moment to seep into my veins and mind and soul. It’s impossible to emerge as the same person who entered.

I’m so blissfully happy and excited for what the future will hold. This is the sort of adventure I’ve always admired other people for embarking on, the kind of thing I’ve always longed to do. This is the kind of life I’ve always wanted for myself, full of travel and uncertainty and independence. This is the first step to becoming the person I want to be, the step that will bring me that much closer to finding myself.

9 comments:

Out Of Jersey said...

This'll be an incredible experience for you. Make sure you keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Travelling overseas is definetly a self changing experience. You will get to see another culture and all the differences between them and where you live. It will be great, and meeting new people too!
It's certainly coming up soon and i'm really looking forward to hearing about it.
:)

gkgirl said...

i'm so excited for you!
what a great opportunity.
:)

liz elayne lamoreux said...

I love the strength I am reading between the lines here. You are owning your decisions on this journey. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

This is going to be an amazing journey for you. You're going to be stepping into yourself in a new way. Very exciting!

Lita said...

I am so proud of your expedition. I can see in your heart that YOU WILL find what you are looking for! That is why, after all, you are so intent on going there! It just feel right!

Michelle said...

It's going to be a life changing experience for sure. I am excited for you.

hollibobolli said...

I think that's wonderful that you're going to be out living life.. and whether or not you definitively "find yourself" this will most certainly be part of the process. I've always wanted to go there - I think this will be wonderful for you!!

intentionally left blank said...

im not sure what people mean when they speak of finding themselves. what could be more difficult to lose than self? i think your attitude towards the trip is good and will help to ensure that you really do get something meaningful out of it