About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Poetry Thursday ~ Time



In the mail this afternoon, I received a package from my grandmother. I opened it to discover a collection of poetry she had written about her childhood in India. I smiled. A perfect poetry Thursday. Having fallen hopelessly behind in my blogging, I was unprepared for this week’s prompt of time, so what a treasure it was to discover this among her phenomenal collection. I couldn’t keep such a gift to myself. Enjoy.

The Time Of My Life : Eight Years Old
By Eve Stedman

From a hard, hot continent
where the garden had to be carved from dirt --
watered and nurtured twice a day --
I came to a cool island.

Moist earth crumbled under my hand
and, wonder of wonders
flowers grew on their own.
Everywhere I went
the hedges sparkled with stitchwort
slopes were golden with primrose
sunlight dappled a bluebell sea
and over the grass
strayed the milky way of daisies.

I was in heaven, in Eden
in a garden where no one said NO
where flowers could grow as they pleased --
and so could I.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, lovely! i especially like the last verse!

gkgirl said...

what a sweet gift...
and i love the bluebell sea...
:)

Jamie said...

Oh, beautiful, beautiful! What a treasure to have a grandmother who sends you such gifts. I want to grow as I please! Thank you for sharing.

kelly rae said...

i love the last stanza. where flowers could grow as they please - and so could i. love that.

Sky said...

what is your grandmother's connection to india?

this poem is indeed a treasure! thanks for sharing. i, too, love the last stanza. you may be like this woman...growing as you please! ;)

mareymercy said...

Lovely! I see now where you get your talent from.

MB said...

and over the grass
strayed the milky way of daisies...
where flowers could grow as they pleased --
and so could I.


Simple and lovely! So the writing runs in the blood — I'm not surprised. What a marvelous gift to receive, and she obviously understood that you would appreciate it! Thank you for turning around to share with us.

anon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hollibobolli said...

Strange - well, now I'll comment as.. moi!

Oh my goodness.. I had no idea your grandmother spent her childhood in India - what a gift.. that is just fabulous. And the poem is..

sigh.

Anonymous said...

Delightful :) Thank you for sharing this.

meghan said...

how lovely and refreshing! It seems like you have completed a circle by going to India too - incredible how things go!

Cinnamon Spider! said...

That is beautiful