About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Rejuvenation



And just like that, the sun broke through. Yesterday was just what I had asked for, hoped for, needed. It was a perfect day.

I arrived at work to find my email inbox bursting over with things to make me smile from my best friend. It’s fabulous how friends can do that, can sense what you need and know exactly how to fix it. I am constantly amazed anew by how blessed I am to have the people in my life that I have. Somehow, nothing else seems to matter but the relationships I cherish. Somehow, everything I could possibly feel sad or angry or upset about becomes insignificant. Somehow, my friends make my life worth living.

On my lunch break, I drove to this enchanting bush of white flowers I had passed that morning. I took pictures. I watched the bees fly from one blossom to the next, slowly and meticulously reveling in their soft white petals. I looked at the perfectly blue sky behind the hanging flowers and smiled at the way they so reminded me of clouds. I wanted to crawl inside them, to feel their smooth petals brush against my cheeks, to breathe their life into my own. I wanted, more than anything, to feel their beauty.

After work, I went downtown to meet up with a friend I haven’t spent quality time with in well over a year. It was so incredibly lovely. We went to dinner, gossiped over expensive girly drinks, laughed over a gorgeous meal, reconnected as though not a moment had passed between us. Her meal took much longer than mine to prepare, and so the manager came over to apologize and let us know the dinner was on them. As she walked away, we both looked at one another and said “sweet” simultaneously, before bursting into laughter that after all this time, we still spoke in rhythm with one another. It was perfect, just perfect.

I arrived home and changed quickly before heading out with my best friend. We went and wandered in the woods for a little while, talking beneath the grand night sky and the whispering trees around us. Our voices echoed in the silence, mixing with the natural hum of the earth. We were alone, and together, and one.

We picked up two more friends and headed down the street to go drink at an outside bar with even more of our friends. We drank and laughed and talked the night away. I thought about what I had written the night before, how these twenty-four hours had changed everything, how simply loving and feeling loved had made everything okay again. Welcome back, I thought to myself.

As I finally reached my bed some time later, I closed my eyes and let the perfection of the day wash over me. I thought of each person who had made me smile, of each event that had made me laugh, of each moment that had reminded me why I am so grateful for this little life of mine. I drifted off to sleep smiling, dreaming of white blossoms, knowing the feel of such beauty.

13 comments:

Sky said...

ahhhh...the ebb and flow of life. :)

Anonymous said...

Exquisite picture, exquisite post, exquisite you! Reading your thoughts is like drifting along the many faces of the sky...twilight, sunset, dawn, or noon tide..I am always left captivated, more enriched, and completely filled with a heart swimming in hopeful delight, love, and over-flowing gatitude. Thank you for this and thank you for being wonderful you!

MB said...

Yup, the good and the bad. Yesterday and today. Today and tomorrow. Ebb and flow. Ride the waves! This is a lovely post to read.

kelly rae said...

what an inspiring post. your life is full. full of love. and laughter. and blessing. and it sounds like clarity, too. so cool.

kelly rae said...

what an inspiring post. your life is full. full of love. and laughter. and blessing. and it sounds like clarity, too. so cool.

mareymercy said...

Great picture, and it's good to hear your day was better this time around - just what you needed. You've got some wonderful friends!

gkgirl said...

ahhhhhh...
sweet contentment.

glad to hear it
:)

Anonymous said...

Great post! Reminds me of what a Buddhist monk who runs an AIDS hospice once said, "Ehen people are coming to the end of their life they only want to know two things: Was I loved? And...did I love well?" Be well.

Out Of Jersey said...

Lovely, beautifully taken.

Sadly I won't be able to go to the Dodge poetry festival this year (the first time I've missed in over a decade) because it conflicts with a retreat I am chaperoning. I checked the line up of poets and it is quite impressive. You should definately still try and go.

hollibobolli said...

I'm glad you're enjoying spending time with friends.. just hanging out with girlfriends, chatting over girly drinks, etc.. those are good times, great memories.

What a beautiful picture. It's so pure and sparkly!!

rdl said...

sweet sweet dreams, ahhh!!

Jamie said...

How wonderful that you are surrounded by love and beauty - remember, they are reflections of you, beautiful spirit.

And what a beautiful photo.

alan said...

You deserve so many of those perfect days...may they outnumber the others in your life!

alan