About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Poetry Thursday ~ Unfinished Conversations



This morning
The grass seems more alive
Than anything I have ever known.

They have so much to say,
These tiny hairs of mother earth,
Sprouting and dying by the millions.

They want to tell me everything before they go.

The first one tells me
Of the woman’s foot,
Of the heavy weight of her black shoe
Pounding on it each morning.
It shows me the scratch on its side.
It tells me it dreams of better things.

The second tells me
Of the day it rained vanilla ice cream,
And how soft and cool it glided down it,
And of the dog who came
And licked it clean.

The third tells me
Of the little ant who crawled up it
And how delightful the tickling of its tiny legs
--Oh! If only I knew such pleasure!—
And how it continues on simply with the hope
Of feeling such bliss again.

And soon the others discover that I am listening.

A chorus of stories begins.
And spreads.

I can hear from yards all over town
The discussion of when they were last cut
And how beautiful they all looked
-- Didn’t I think so? –
With their new trim, so stylish and sleek.
Admire us, they say.

I can hear the wild fields of Africa and India and Europe
Shout and sing and scream their freedom
Blowing loosely in the wind
With the hair of the hipsters
Who have spent years frolicking
Through their timeless offerings of peace.
Join us, they say.

So for a moment
I lower myself down into the grass
And I let each blade tickle me
With all of the delight of an ant’s tiny legs,
And I let each blade tell me
It’s stories of joy and sorrow,

And then I tell them mine.

And so it goes,
The old blades making their final remarks,
The new blades learning to speak,
The voices of millions exclaiming
Their hopes and fears and dreams.

The grand conversation of life continues.
Infinitely.

11 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Those grand unsaid "conversations of life." An interesting poem. I just read a line from the Talmud that I love, something like: An angel bends over every blade of grass, whispering, "Grow, grow!" Good job.

MB said...

And then I tell them mine.
To me, this is a pivotal line, because it turns the poem from its initial focus and creates drama and intimacy. This was a fun read.

Word verification: fuhnne!!!!

meghan said...

This was absolutely beautiful. It made me grin and long to go outside and play with the world - thank you so much for that feeling... I may just listen to it!! xoox

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Can I just quote the entire poem? This was so refreshing, and a great start to my day!

kerry said...

this is such a joyful, sweet poem. i love it. i'm so happy you wrote this post that has made me stop for a moment and notice the little things. that this poem of yours has made me smile and breathe just a little bit deeper. thanks!

mareymercy said...

YOu speak with a voice that is wise beyond your years. A beautiful poem; there's a bit of Mary Oliver in it.

gkgirl said...

this was wonderful,
so whimsical
and sweet...
loved it
:)

rama said...

Dear Friends

Greetings from Calcutta.

I am happy to inform you that I have self-published a collection of my poems on the internet.

This is accessible at:

http://inheritance-poesy.blogspot.com/

I would like to invite you to visit the site!

Thanks and best regards

rama

GreenishLady said...

I loved this poem so much. I too wanted to share the line that Pepek was reminded of. Each blade of grass. ... A beautifully conceived poem. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous, frankie!

hannah said...

I like how we both wrote poems about lying in the grass. I really like the idea in this of the individual voices all joining the "voices of millions" and how it goes on and on in the "grand conversation of life." The best is how your own single voice joins that conversation -- that really says a lot. I also loved the images, like "it rained vanilla ice cream." I really loved this poem! (and ps, thanks for the encouraging words on my writing -- it really means a lot coming from someone other than my friends that i see every day)