About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Honesty



Sometimes just saying it out loud is enough. Just the simple act of releasing the words into the air frees them from the mind. They become more than thoughts, more than wavering theories floating through the confines of my head, vacillating back and forth between the constructs of right and wrong. They become statements. They become real.

Already I feel freed from my own confusion. Nothing is solved. Nothing is even officially decided, but I now feel ready to begin. Begin what? I’m not sure, but something. Something more than sitting around wrestling with possibility. Something more than hovering in the entrance of my life. Something new and progressive and exciting. I’m ready to step into the next chapter.

This is the reward of honesty. It’s strange how the most difficult person to be honest with is always oneself. The truth really does have its way of setting us free, but so often I find myself afraid to admit the truth in that very statement. In truth, I lie to myself constantly.

Writing seems to know that, as though it were its own entity, with eyes that pierce my very soul and questions impossible to evade. It knows all the right things to ask. It knows exactly how I feel. It knows the truth I try so desperately to avoid. It puts us in a room together and forces me to face it. It won’t allow me to stay silent. It won’t tolerate my ignorance.

There is a love I know that continues on purely with the hope, the faith, that love will be enough. Despite all wisdom and truth, it goes on. It remains unquestioning. It obscures the troubles and disappointments and sorrows of the relationship behind a haze of adoration. In theory it is a beautiful thing, but in reality it becomes something ugly, something bitter. It is the unripe fruits I love before learning they’re not ready. It is the shock of displeasure in that first bite. It is the taste of lies.

Lies that linger on the tongue far longer than anyone would hope. They hang in air and hearts, refusing to be ignored, no matter how ardently we try. Love, sadly, in all of its glory, simply isn’t powerful enough to vanquish the truth. Instead, honesty gets buried beneath the layers and begins to burrow holes in the soul. That gap is the hurtful words he told her, the next is the embarrassment she caused him, the one after that is the tears they each shed in secret. I wonder when faith in the future stops being enough.

But this is not my story. It’s theirs. My story simply leaves me with the same question. When do hope and faith stop being enough? Because it is wonderful to dream, but dreaming can only take us so far. Eventually, we have to make a move. Eventually, we have to be honest about our next step. And there is nothing more terrifying in this world than making a decision. Even the most seemingly obvious of choices holds depths of bittersweet uncertainty, and they know that, and I know that, and I think somewhere deep down we all know that.

The question then becomes, are we brave enough to admit that we know that? Are we brave enough to move forward? And I know I have to answer yes, because although stagnancy is deceivingly comfortable, I refuse to get caught in its lies. Life is waiting, and that’s the truth. And honestly, I can't afford to waste another moment.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

What a beautiful post. The sixth paragraph feels like a poem.

I remember when I realized that love isn't enough. In my first long-term relationship we loved each other deeply but we did not make each other happy. It took me a long, long time to realize that I needed to leave even though there was love, truly love.

Beetlebum said...

everything you say is so spot on, from love not being enough to the fact that making a decision is the most terrifying thing. you are so right. and i love how you personified writing. and the truth is always so hard...it's funny how hard we try to prevent ourselves from being "freed" by the truth.

alan said...

Someday your essays are going to be collected and put in print, then you'll be able to afford to do most anything you would like!

Thank you for making me take a look at my own life...again and again!

alan

MB said...

Wow, Frankie. What an intriguingly articulate and nuanced essay.

M said...

I totally agree with Alan...you have such a gift with words and such a brave understanding of your own world. Were you like this before you went traveling or is this a new perspective!?! For me, my whole view of the world and myself and my place in it changed dramatically when I went overseas, and I am so grateful for that.

kelly rae said...

you are a wise woman. reminds me of that quote saying something like "there are years that question. and there are years that answer." you are on a great quest, my friend, and honesty will fly you there.

hollibobolli said...

I believe so much in Faith.. it's gotten me so far in life, and it's different for each person. I love adding all the little quotes I find on "Faith" to my blog (they change everytime you refresh the blog) because the word means so much to me.. obviously I chose it for Faith's name.. but there was a story behind that, and..

good grief - nevermind.. I'm rambling tonight!

I loved your post, as usual. Ignore the old rambling woman in the corner.