About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Some Days Are Like That



It was that kind of ambiguous grey morning that taunts us. The kind that seems to hold every secret but refuses to give anything away. It could be early morning right before the sun makes her grand entrance over the world, or the very beginning of evening, when the afternoon light has only just slipped away. It could be warm outside or cold, beautiful or dreary. The day could hold anything we had ever seen and nothing we could have ever imagined. It was that kind of grey, that kind of morning.

I made my way into work and found myself to be the only person in the office for the first two hours, a situation I’ve unfortunately grown accustomed to. I tended to the tasks that beckoned my immediate attention and then just sat, and thought, and grew a little sad.

I don’t understand how I ended up back here, sitting in an office by myself, longing for the world outside my window. I don’t understand how I could allow myself to settle so quickly back into a life I was only recently so desperate to escape. I don’t understand how I betrayed myself this way.

I find myself missing people all the time, but I don’t know who and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s me. I miss versions of myself that I used to be and versions of myself that I could have been. I miss people who were never even an extremely important part of my life and I miss people who were – are – an extremely important part of my life, even when they’re standing right beside me. I don’t know why I feel such loss.

But it is that feeling, and I know it. Loss. Lost. Alone.

Even to write the word is painful. Alone. I think part of me has been unwilling to write simply out of the fear of admitting that. Sometimes I feel alone in the world. Even though everything I know to be true contradicts it, even though I have the most amazing friends in the world, and a mother who would do anything for me, and siblings I can turn to when I need them. Even though I am happy and grateful and alive, part of me still feels empty sometimes. It happens. That’s life.

And I know the feeling will pass. I do. It’s just what this day happened to bring. Some days are like that. So instead of going out with my friends tonight, I decided to stay in, and am still wondering if I would have preferred to be distracted. Sometimes I wish I had less time to think.

My office has become such a cell, a barren place where I can do nothing but sit and dwell on regret and mistakes. It’s become the place that I associate with all of my sadness, and while I only have a short while longer working there (I promise myself that), I still know I have to find the courage to leave when it’s over. Leave, and not agree to come back when I get that inevitable call. I can’t afford to betray myself again.

So this is whiney and not in the least bit articulate. I had a bad day. I’m mourning the loss. I’m moving on. Tomorrow is an opportunity for something new, something better. The sun will shine and I will smile. It will be that kind of morning.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothing you write is inarticulate.....I hope today you are wrapped in arms of belonging...comfort....fulfillment. I wish I had more to encourage than these words, but I wanted to at least leave a comment.
Sending my love..

M said...

Wow, I can so relate!! I think there is something we mourn when we have been traveling and had such a life changing experience. I went through it several times and it never got easier. No one can really understand what you've been through, even your best friends in the world, it's so hard to settle back into "normal" life like nothing happened. I love your how you say you miss versions of yourself you used to be - I have that too. I always feel so blessed to have been able to travel and see myself and the world through new eyes, but still haven't figured out how to translate that into a "regular" life, how to keep that passion, that motivation in my day to day existence. Maybe having a job that means something to me will help - who knows.
Whoa, rambling here, sorry! Just wanted to let you know you are not alone, and that I am always in awe of how you look at the world. I love coming here - it always brightens my day!
hope today is better!!

Tabor said...

After briefly perusing your blog, (sorry about that) I also remember times when I lived in another culture and then moved and missed that previous richness and familiarity and then, somehow, missed what I had missed in my own culture while I was gone. I hope that makes sense,.

mareymercy said...

I'd say you're still pretty articulate. Even when whiny. And yeah, it's hard to carry the extraordinariness of your travels with you all the time. The so-called real world can be a downer. But remember that what you were so fascinated by in your travels was someone else's real world. And some other traveler might be amazed by what is to you mundane and everyday.

Does that even mean anything? Maybe.

kelly rae said...

i know this feeling all to well. that feeling of being trapped, what am i doing here? i relate to the idea of mourning versions of ourselves, too. and celebrating the new ones. it's such a balance, isn't it?

MB said...

(((Frankie)))

Life is less than perfect, difficult and sometimes painful. At the same time, it is beautiful, wondrous and miraculous. One doesn't cancel the other out. Sometimes, just sometimes, I can hold those two things in my hand at the same time and see them both.

I am reminded of your July 24 post, which I've read several times over.

gkgirl said...

it is not whiney.
it is a depiction
of how you feel today.

i would sooner read a true
version of how you are feeling
than a cheery false impression.

i have never travelled really
so i cannot say
if that is affecting your feelings...
but i do hope that
tomorrow is a "sunnier" day
for you...
:)

Sky said...

Oh, I love how you address both aspects - the bad day and the hope of tomorrow. You got it - it is dual, it is about the tentative nature of life - some good, some not so good.

You know, Frankie, we are indeed alone at the end of every day. Our companions are the distraction from this fact. Yes, even our spouses are distractions. The bottom line is we share time with others, become intimate, play, and feel connected, but each of us must ultimately live inside the self with only the self. We are born into this world alone, and we leave it the same way - ALONE. This fact can sometimes overwhelm us. And, many avoid it by the distractions they draw into their lives. You live close to your truth. You are richer, in my opinion, because of it, but you will likely feel pain on a deeper level because of it, as well.

Your trip to India changed your reality, gave depth to perspective and understanding. Your old way of living - the old routine - is boring by comparison. You are different. You will keep changing...that is what makes life exciting. You may take a step back again - but you will also move forward. It is not a straight line, as I am sure you know. :)

You are just so filled with life, and your energy is fascinating and exciting. I love coming here. Enjoy the new day! Hugsssss.

Claudia said...

I also know those days, although I experience them less and less as I get older and find the courage to say no. You need days like this to realise how different you really want your days to be.

meghan said...

I know exactly where you are. I have days there too - traveling does that to you - there is so much more to you and to the world that I often catch myself staring out of a window knowing that if I just quit I could be off doing and seeing! My advice is to find a job that you CAN do without it eating away at you. They are out there. And whine away - as you can see from the comments, you are not alone!! xoxo

alan said...

There are times I consider my job a recurring nightmare that begins every afternoon around 4:30...

But then the nightmare ends, I get to leave and come home and hang out with wonderful people like you!

alan