About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Frankenstein



Once, I was in the dark
So my mother ached and pushed
And brought me into the light.

To see it, she gave me eyes.
To smell it, she gave me a nose.
To feel it, she gave me ten fingers,
And ten toes,
And a heart as big as the light itself.

To taste the air, she gave me lips and a tongue.
To hear her voice, she gave me ears.
To be my own unique self, she gave me a voice
For other ears to hear
And listen
And be stricken with awe.

Once, my heart was broken
So my mother gathered each piece
And meticulously glued them back together
And filled it with joyous blossoms.

The white petals were her tranquility
The blue were her deep pools of wisdom
The yellow were her promises of friendship
The red were her testimonies of love

The bouquet was a mother,
And a daughter,
And the heart that they both share.

Once, I was lost
So my mother searched for me
By allowing me to wander free
And aimlessly
In bookstores
And classrooms
And places around the world

And no matter how far I went,
Together,
We always found me.

Once, I felt like a nobody in this world
So my mother held me
As she had when she first introduced me to the light.

And I knew I was my mother’s daughter.
And I knew I was somebody.

Once, the world seemed empty
So my mother created me.

10 comments:

MB said...

What an incredibly loving poem. As a mother reading it, it's very touching. The title, a play on your name, is a pretty ironic reference for a person of such beauty as you.

MB said...

PS. I'm really glad to see you writing like this!!! Keep it up!!
xo

mareymercy said...

Wow - how lovely; especially this bit: "The bouquet was a mother,/And a daughter,/And the heart that they both share."

liz elayne lamoreux said...

this is gorgeous Frankie.
i love it. love it. love it.
yes.
my heart filled as i read these words. you have reminded of all that can be and all this is to come.
thank you.

Anonymous said...

Frankie, I love this!!! The descriptions of each petal and the meaning in each one is stunning! I have to agree with mb though, I don't understand the title. All I see is beauty. I too share a deep relationship with my mother so I especially appreciated this poem! Thank you!

Sky said...

this is quite a poem, quite a beautiful celebration, frankie. this is an exciting piece of work, and i am so glad you shared it here. i hope you will continue to explore your writing - there is so much talent inside you. you continue to surprise me. :)

gkgirl said...

wonderful poem...
wonderful writing...
:)

Jamie said...

Frankie, this is so beautiful. I'm trying to express my enthusiasm for this poem while respecting the hush I feel over my spirit now that it's read. What a beautiful gift.

Anonymous said...

I love all your entries Frankie, but I had a very strong reaction to this moving poem. I can't imagine a more precious gift for you to give your mother than this poem. You are both blessed by your appreciation of her presence in your life. I really admire you and your amazing ability to express such profound emotions.

kerry said...

i wanted to let you know that your previous post.. "heart to heart"... has been exactly what i have been needing to read. the way you found some center to the struggle and way of seeing it helps me more than i can explain. you have given me part of an answer that my heart has been aching for. that i feel the pain, but would rather feel it than feel nothing at all. and that in feeling that intensely i can be sure that at least i am loving and living. this is one of the most profound posts i have ever read.