About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

17 Little Someones



Yup, it’s official. Worst updater ever. I’m so sorry, but I really appreciate all the loving and concerned emails you’ve sent. You’re all wonderful, truly. When I officially hit the 20th email this morning, I figured it was time for an update. Here goes.

He told me that he didn’t believe in fate and destiny, but that clearly I was born to have 17 children. It was quite an omen. That’s exactly how many I now have. 17 toddlers to teach and play with and love. And oh, how I love them.

For reasons that I’ll write about later (really, I promise, I will), I decided not to return to school this semester. Instead, I got a job teaching preschool and I couldn’t be happier. Each day I get to play and sing and read and laugh. Each day I get to watch my children light up with the excitement of learning something new. Each day I share in the experience of a thousand little triumphs and heartbreaks and get to hug all day long because of it. Yes, clearly I was born to do this.

It’s exhausting of course, chasing after them, solving arguments, comforting tears. Sometimes I arrive home only to realize I have no recollection of how I got here, no memory of the drive back. It can be scary, and it may be the early warning signs of my slipping sanity. Still, at the end of the day, I’m tired in that good kind of accomplished way. Today I meant something to someone. 17 little someones who count on me for everything. It’s lovely to feel so needed.

The thing about children is that you can be having an awful day, a tired-crying-fit-throwing-tantrum-taming kind of day, and yet when little Alexandra calls out “Miss Frankie!” and you walk over only to discover she wants to give you a hug, well, that day is suddenly the most beautiful day you’ve ever had.

And when at circle time, you ask Brielle to say her name and she says “Brielle. I’m an easy, breezy, beautiful cover girl,” you can’t help but laugh about it no matter what comes your way. Because children have that power, that special something that brings so much light and love and laughter into this world. I am grateful for it, for them, each day.

I have tons more to say, but for now I just wanted to update a little something. Again, I’m sorry for my absence and I promise to do better in the future. Thanks again for writing and reading, dear friends. You’re all wonderful, truly.

13 comments:

Claudia said...

WOW! Good on you!

Anonymous said...

hey grrl....
brave move, but sounds like the right one.
i've gone through a couple of different careers before i came upon the right one for me. and, yes, it is a job that i can feel as if i have helped someone.
big hugs.

Jamie said...

How wonderful! Those 17 little lovebugs are lucky to have you and you them. What a joyful and significant way to spend the day :)

Anonymous said...

How precious! This sounds like such a fullfilling job. I 'm so happy for you Frankie. Wish I could come to class and be your assistant for the day!

M said...

Yeah you're back! How fun is that, playing with kids all day! So jealous!! Very interested to hear what else is going on with school and whatnot, I'm intrigued!

Sky said...

looking forward to more posts, especially the one about your deciding not to return to school. glad you are enjoying the work with the children. :)

alan said...

Seconding Jamie here, the kids are lucky to have you!

When I have all 3 grandkids at the same time trying to "keep the peace" is a real stresser, I can't imagine 17 of them!

Once again, thank you for being you!

alan

kelly rae said...

you are making me want to have some little somethings of my own!

Cinnamon Spider! said...

I'm glad your happy with your new job, happiness is what matters. I bet the children are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

it's extremely difficult to trod on the line where one's mind is. not many can do it. wish u all the luck. u have a golden heart. May God bless u.

MB said...

Having both taught and been a mother — both sides of the "fence" — I know how valuable this work is. And how much there is to be learned as a teacher. I'm looking forward to hearing more, about your decision and the work, as you have time and energy. Meanwhile, those seventeen little treasures are lucky to have you.

rdl said...

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!! Would love to hear more on the 17 connection - intriguing.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i love learning this. wonderful you shaping the minds of little ones.
bravo my dear!