About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, September 25, 2006

Breathing A Little Easier

Exactly one month ago today I gave up cigarettes. I’d been meaning to for a while now, but something always seemed to bring me back to them, something more than the obvious addictive nicotine. It became a habit to have one with my coffee, to light one up along specific places on my daily route to and from work, to have one poised between my fingers as I tapped away at my keyboard. It became more about the stability of having them there than about the actual desire to have them. I suppose that’s what addiction is.

And for what felt like no particular reason, one month ago today I decided they were disgusting and I needed to move on with my life. I haven’t had one since. Nor have I really been craving them the way that I thought I would. Sure, occasionally I miss them. Long drives are difficult. Traffic’s even worse. Coffee probably won’t ever taste quite the same way again. And of course, the killer, writing sans cigarette.

Somewhere along the way smoking became a key component in my writing. We were on this journey together, nicotine and I, the smoke rising from a lit cigarette echoing my train of thought. I miss the way the tip would burn so brightly in front of the computer screen. I miss the ash hovering above the keys. I miss the way each drag seemed to signify a new depth, as though every writer in the world sat and looked and thought in this exact same way. There was something poetic about it.

And yet, one day I was just finished. That part of my life needed to come to an end, and so I said goodbye and moved on, quickly, painlessly. I find it strange that among the endless over analysis of every move I make in life, there’s still this part of me that is so incredibly impulsive. I’ve always been that way. I’m leisurely and passive (which is a nice way to say lazy, I think) and yet when I know something feels right, I just get up and do it. In retrospect, all of my life’s best decisions have been made impulsively.

My mother would probably disagree, as a lot of those decisions involved making the “wrong” choice about school. I knew I wanted to go to a small college in Michigan. I didn’t. I knew I wanted to leave and come home. I did, but not exactly. I knew I wanted to take time off for India and then more time off for work. I wanted both of those things, and I’m glad and grateful for having done them, but when does following my heart become a means of avoiding my education?

The truth is, I don’t want to be in school, but I understand how important school is. I understand how fortunate I am to have the opportunity for further education, to have a mind capable of handling the work, to have the money to pay for it, to have the whole world open to me. I understand I’m letting people down by not going and probably cutting off opportunities in the future. I understand I’m being rather selfish, but maybe right now I need to be.

The thing is, I’m happy now. I wake up each morning ready to start the day, knowing in the back of my mind that if this was class I had to go to and not my job, I’d be skipping it. I’d have too much time on my hands. I’d be depressed. I know that about myself. I’m glad I’ve made this choice, and ultimately, I have to be strong enough to defend it.

Meanwhile, I’m going through each day with a smile on my face. I’m living life. I’m breathing easier. One month down. A lifetime to go.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i admire your strength, frankie. it takes a lot of guts to know what's right for you and stand by that decision when others may be critical...good for you! and applause for quitting smoking!

alan said...

Your instincts have done well by you so far; I am sure they will continue to!

I quit smoking 15 years ago now; I am glad you decided to so much sooner than I!

alan

Anonymous said...

So glad you gave up the cigarettes. I am currently adapting a book about a woman who died of lung cancer at the age of 42. She left behind a husband and 9-year-old daughter. She hadn't lived her life to the fullest either. Sad all around.

Continue following your heart. If you're waking each day with a smile on your face that is something. Be well.

Anonymous said...

Frankie, It's so good to see a post from you.

I really believe that life is about each person.....individually and unique. School has it place...but I believe a person's inborn talent and distinctly tailored life-"path" equally shares in its purpose. Somehow along the way, someone taught the world that school is the means to all end....surpisingly so, some of the greatest pioneers, or the wealthiest, or the happiest, or the most fulfilled people have known other ways. Unless a career you are seeking requires a conventional education, it is a lot of time and monetary investment that can be spent in a more specialized and self-educating experience (if that is what you want). I'm not trying to discourage school, I just know from observation that there are no guarantees fastened to a degree. Being able to think outside of the box, truly know yourself (like you do), and having the courage to follow your heart (like you are) is probably some of the best advice anyone has ever given me.

I am so proud of you and in such awe of your ability to surmount this addiction!! You are amazing. I just want to encourage you to continue to attend and listen to your instincts....I know they will guide you to the place you are destined for. (hugs)

MB said...

Yay for breathing easier! Congratulations!

I could well be wrong, but I suspect you'll get to the schooling eventually. I spent years essentially doing what you are doing now, and eventually realized that I needed to return to something closer to my earlier interests. I don't consider it time wasted at all — I learned a ton, as I think you will, too — but I just have this sneaking feeling that... eventually... writing (or something related) will find its way into your life and school may be a part of that. Meanwhile, you are happy and that's the best thing!!

M said...

Well done!! You go girl! That's a tough habit to break, but I guess when you're really ready, you're really ready. I loved reading your previous post as well about feeling at peace and loving being with your kids, how wonderful for you!! I start my new job next week and I hope I can find some contentment there too.
Life sounds good in your little corner of the world, thanks for sharing the joy with us!

gkgirl said...

yay for the not smoking!
i cannot even begin to imagine how
hard that must be...

and regarding life,
you are living it
and you know yourself best...
:)

meghan said...

well congratulations!!! As an ex-smoker I can tell you that eventually you will be completely grossed out even smelling it!! (but I do miss sitting at a coffee shop with a good friend, good coffee and ciggies - sigh!)

Well done to you - you can do it forever!!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

keep taking those deep, deep breaths girl. congratulations on stopping smoking!
and this image of you breathing easier...this is beautiful my dear.

Sky said...

i am so glad you quit smoking. congratulationsssssssss!!

i agree with mb totally....i suspect before it is all said and done you will be seeking out an education in the conventional way. perhaps you will get more from an education at a later time in your life. i would have if i had waited a while. i was not self-disciplined enough when i was young to take advantage of my college years in the same way i would have had i been more mature and hungrier for the knowledge. it is difficult, however, to go back to school once we become employed and begin to create a life for ourselves in the real, working world. sometimes a lack of formal education makes the salary we want (or job) impossible to obtain, and that can send us back to school. it is just a hard decision to make sometimes. you will know when/if the time is right.

rdl said...

Great post!! good for you!!

Anonymous said...

congratulations. I struggle sometimes with smoking too- I was a smoker, but quit during both my pregnancies, and turned into a "social" smoker. This is sometimes a slippery slope.

SO, anyway, I GET how hard it is to quit so a very HEARTFELT congratulations to you!