About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Week In Review



Monday night my mother and I went out for dinner in the city. She has this remarkable way of always picking the perfect place to go, of knowing exactly what I will like. It was a charming little BYOB Mexican restaurant, with brick walls and a curtain for a door. It was small and quiet, but also intimate and warm. Over good wine and delicious food, we discussed everything, and by the end of the evening I had rekindled all of the love and admiration I have for my mother -- as my mother, as a woman, as my best friend.

Wednesday night I went out to dinner in the city again with my other favorite person on earth. It was lovely. We talked, we confided in one another, we laughed. We went to see Chris Rock perform at the Academy of Music. We laughed some more. It was a wonderful evening, and as I finally got into my bed at around 1am, exhausted and knowing I had to be up in four hours for work, I thought to myself, how lucky I am to know you. How lucky I am to be able to call you my friend. How lucky I am to get to rediscover my love for you over and over again.

Last night another one of my heros and I went to see our former teacher perform in a play and then went out for drinks. Today we went to see the Star Wars exhibit at the Franklin Institute because it was the nerdiest thing we could think of doing, and sometimes, that's exactly what needs to be done. I wore my "adopt a tree" sweatshirt, yellow converse sneakers, and earrings made of bright pink legos because if you're going to be a geek, you might as well go big. Sometimes I like being an all or nothing kind of girl.

After the museum, we went and got cheesesteaks from our favorite place, because that's what Philadelphians do. All around us people discussed their steaks, the weather, the Eagles. Something wonderful was being created. Something wonderful was already here. This is where I come from, I thought. This is my community. I love this city because this is my home.

Today as we drove around downtown I thought, how easy it is to forget the things that I love most in this world. How easy it is to take it all for granted. I live just outside this beautiful bustling city that offers me everything and anything I could possibly need in this life, and far too often, I neglect it. Far too often I refuse its kind gifts of possibility. Why can I never seem to remember how fortunate I am?

Sitting beside you on your stoop this morning, sunshine beating down upon us, the winter winds graciously calm, I remembered how fortunate I am to be here. I remembered how fortunate I am to be me, living in this city, traveling the world, loving my job, listening to beautiful music, drinking good wine, eating delicious foods, exploring restaurants and museums and performances, reveling in freedom, claiming my independence, writing my story, cherishing people, being cherished by people, having friends like you. I remembered how fortunate I am simply to be by your side. And that reminder, my loves, made this one of the best weeks of my life.

And I thank you for making it so.

9 comments:

Beetlebum said...

you were downtown and didn't call me? :'-( how was the star wars exhibit? i've been wanting to go to that!

Sky said...

:) good week!

mine was, too. i got a good pathology report back from my recent surgery - no cancer! and the sunshine continues here in the pacific nw.

Pauline said...

happiness is contagious!

Jessie said...

thank you for the comment you left on my blog, frankie. and, wow! such gratitude, such happiness, such love there is to be found here! :) it felt good reading your words. may your wonderful experiences just keep happening! and the relationship you have with your mom sounds absolutely terrific. you make me miss my mom. luckily she will be coming to visit soon! :)

LeS said...

Ah yes, what a perfect week.
Keep up the lovely good work and realizations. Life is good :)

Lori said...

WOW! This is great! I hope the happiness and optimism just keep coming for you! :-)

Pen said...

what a fabulous way to celebrate and week. (your writing is so delcious ~ it always makes me want to read more!) i hope this week will be equally perfect in different ways x

gkgirl said...

sounds fantastic!

:0)

Anonymous said...

i find it difficult to understand that an entire blog entry full of wonderful thoughts and conclusions about what sounds like a lovely little saturday can be completely overlooked by someone who is so self involved that the only thing that seem to get out of this blog entry is the fact that they were not invited.

that is frustrating to me.