About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Tired Thought For Tuesday



She kept looking over and nodding at me as though I were saying something important, as though I wasn't just chiming in with the appropriate responses. Such human kindness warms me. It makes me feel as though I am contributing something, needed somehow. It makes me feel as though if I were to say something important, someone would be willing to listen. There are so many ways to prove goodness.

After our meeting, I went to meet up with a friend at a local coffee house to listen to what their open mic night had to offer. We decided it was time to be more proactive. We decided it was time to explore what the world has to offer us. We decided it was time to live the lives we envision for ourselves. It was lovely. For two hours we sat and drank coffee and watched adorable boys playing adorable songs on their adorable guitars. Is there a better way to spend a Tuesday night? If so, I have yet to discover it.

I sat in this room of strangers and thought, there is something truly wonderful being created here. Music, yes. Coffee, yes. Community, yes. But more than even that was the ubiquitous and undeniable evidence of graciousness. The truth is anyone could stand up there and do anything, and the room would applaud. We would cheer on our fellow man simply for standing before us with bravery and passion. We would support our fellow man simply because we understand the need for support. We would chime in with the appropriate responses simply because we are all entitled to such reverence, and we all see that, and we all feel that, and we all live that.

And we are all, really, just standing on stage under the scrupulous lens of the public eye, trying to summon the courage to sing our only song. It is comforting to discover that we are not alone. It is comforting to consider that our songs are not so different. It is comforting to discover that someone, somewhere is willing to listen, and smile, and perhaps even applaud. And despite my fatigue and inarticulate account, I had to share this thought with you; I am here. I am listening to and applauding for your life, and I thank you for doing the same for mine.

Such human kindness warms me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank goodness there are people like you in the world.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

thank you for this post. thank you so much dear girl.

Pauline said...

That last paragraph rings so true. When we make observations like these we add to our impressions of what's right with the world. How good that you notice, and how doubly good that you share.

Anonymous said...

The woman you are, and the life you are embracing, is so inspiring to me. I am standing here, on my feet, applauding you...into eternity. Your spirit, in all its authenticity and aliveness and compassion...it reminds me that I am not alone. Thank you so much for that! Love to you,
taradawn

Pen said...

the world would be a kinder and infinitely more beautiful place if there were more people like you out there!
and you are right, evenings like that do remind us what it feels like to embrace, encourage and applaud each other. and how good that feels. how good it feels to be part of that how good it feels to be immersed in a selfless and safe environment.
you definitely bring that to me with your kind comments and beautiful prose. thank you x

meghan said...

you always shake me up a little when I come here - and always in a great way!! This was amazing, Frankie. Thank you so much.