About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, March 31, 2008

Turning



I awoke this morning determined to turn things around. No matter how foolish my optimism can seem at times, I am still a firm believer in the power of positive thinking. I still believe that sometimes happiness is something we have to create for ourselves, that allowing ourselves to be conscious of what we want, of the choices we make in the pursuit of our goal, of our worthiness of that goal and the pursuit itself, makes all the difference. I still have faith that we are capable of creating the lives we want to be living.

And even though the day seemed no different than any that had passed recently, I resolved to make it special, to make it the first day of the something new I've been in search of. Instead of my usual lying around, gossiping, petty magazine reading during nap time, I took out my book and began to read. I annotated passages that I loved. I circled words and phrases that I loved. I allowed myself to feel inspired.

After work I went to the gym, which I shamefully haven't done in well over a month. I am shocked each time I return after being away by how good it feels. I am shocked each time by how easily I forget such a feeling. I am shocked each time to think that my body has not been crying out in agony for movement during this lapse in attendance, and I am even more greatly shocked to discover that it has been, that I've simply been choosing not to listen. How could I so easily neglect this body I use to journey through my existence?

It was raining lightly as I left the gym. People hurried down the sidewalk under their umbrellas and oversized hoods. I thought about that line I'd written a few posts back, about how I sometimes feel best about my life when other people are at their worst. I thought about my hate of umbrellas and my love of rain. I thought about how refreshing and cool and wonderful those spritzes of water felt upon my hot sweaty skin. I tilted my head up to the grey sky, closed my eyes, and smiled. What a beautiful day, I thought to myself.

As I turned the corner towards my apartment, I came upon a row of blossoming trees. I hadn't noticed them this morning as I passed in the dark. For a moment, they felt like the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I felt the softness of each petal, the fragility of each droplet of rain, clinging so divinely delicate to the gentle branches. I felt the etherealness of these small wonders within the very depths of me, blooming within my spirit, rising within my heart. I floated home on their perfection.

And perhaps I am still there, floating, twisting and turning in possibility, dreaming of things that have yet to happen, but I suppose that is just me. I suppose I am just an overly optimistic believer, and probably always have been, and hopefully always will be. I suppose I am just a woman, a person, a human being, trying her best to live the life she wants to be living. I wish for all of you to know such happiness.

And just like that, I've turned it all around.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i read your words, and i'm not sure what or how to comment. i just want you to know that your words and your being inspire me so much and i often leave your blog sighing with dreamy contentment at how you write your world.

Lori said...

Isn't it fabulous that you can turn the day and the mood around just like that with positive thoughts. Be proud of yourself for recognizing and then making the changes to feel better. That takes courage. You give me courage every time I read your uplifting words! Thank you!

Beetlebum said...

Frankie,

First of all, thank you so much for your comment. What you said about people going to their childhood homes in movies...well, it's funny you should mention that because I was watching 13 going on 30 (I know, don't laugh) and the main character went home to her parents, slept in her old bed in her old room that was just as she left it and i felt so sad to know I can never do that, and moreover that all the childhood possessions I wanted to keep are stored in a single box in the back of my closet.

With that said, I can relate to the gym thing. I go a lot lately but haven't gone the past two weekends. When I drag myself there on Monday I always feel great afterwards and it reaffirms the whole cycle I go through. The power of inertia is really something.

Also, thank you soo much for your email (I will respond later..I hope you'll excuse my distractedness).

Lastly, this entry is lovely, and I also wanted you to know that even though I am not as eloquent, should you ever feel down just know there's a room in my heart for you too :)

Pen said...

i {love} the way you see the world. and i am so glad you are such a gifted writer so that i (we) may share in pieces of this journey with you.
it's hard maintaining positivity sometimes but you are right: if we can just pause and soak up the beauty that is around us, it's amazing how that can refuel the soul.
coming by and reading your posts is always something that inspires me xx

Claire said...

What a wonderful post, sweetheart. Your words nourish my soul...

Cxx

LeS said...

Stay that overly optimistic believer forevermore dear Frankie. It is the best life - the one that is truly lived :)

jenica said...

i echo ruby's words.

*sigh*

i love leaving the gym with that happy feeling of accomplishment. i feel better after going. i have more energy! and then i stop going, finding it to be too cumbersome.

i'm glad that you're seeing the greatness in you, in your place in life, in life in general.

peace out.

gkgirl said...

and you turn it around
so beautifully...