About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Wired For Light



"Why are you so happy?" He asked me.

I was thrown by the intimacy of his question. He rang up my coffee and handed me my change. I shrugged. "It's a beautiful world," I said with a smile. He laughed. "It is with people like you," he told me. He gave me my coffee. We said our goodbyes.

As I started my walk home, I thought, how easy to choose happiness. How easy to choose love over hate, joy over sorrow, light over darkness. What a great struggle it is to be miserable, to carry around the heavy weight of sadness. Why would I ever allow myself to bear such a burden? Why have I been so quick to do so in the past? Why am I just now learning, at twenty-three, how to let go, how to set myself free?

I think about what lies within me, about my head so full of questions, about my heart so full of answers. I think about the way I am learning to listen to both. I think about my ears which I use to listen. I think about my feet which I use to step into adventures. I think about my eyes which I use to see all of the beauty around me. I think about my tongue which I use to taste the delicious sweetness of life. I think about my hands which I use to hold the magical treasures of the universe. I think about my fingers which I use to record it all. I think about the way I am wired for light - to be light, to feel light, to spread light. I think about this stranger's question, "why are you so happy?"

Because it is so easy. Because we live in this increasingly hopeful, possibility filled world. Because every day, in small and big ways, I am reminded of what it means to be alive, to be grateful for life, to be in awe of existence itself. Because those reminders fill me with happiness, with love, and with light. Because I let those feelings soak into the thirsty well of my spirit. Because I have made the choice to make of my life something spectacular.

I remember sitting against the pillar across from him, watching as his eyes moved intently around the pages of his newspaper. His legs were crossed, his back straight, like a statue of Buddha, like my students at circle time as they listen closely to my small offerings of truth. He laughed. The sound filled the grand abandoned train station, echoing against the lonely tracks, filling us both with light. I remember thinking, how easy to fall in love. How easy to let my heart break open and spill out it's irresistible delight. How easy to refill it with wonder.

Today I sit and watch the thunderstorm outside. My kitten sits on the windowsill and joins me, following with his little paws the raindrops as they slide down the glass. His eyes widen as it thunders. He mews at the quickening lightening. We learn together, what it means to pay attention. We learn together, our own means of prayer. We learn together, how to express our gratitude for this rain, for this world, for this life.

I learn how to echo these divine flashes of light.

10 comments:

Beetlebum said...

first of all, this is very beautiful and inspiring. i think most people have a harder time believing it's easy to be happy rather than unhappy (speaking from personal experience). i think about how so many people walk around and avoid eye contact with others. i thought yesterday how easy it would be for me to smile at everyone as they passed by, how that connection would brighten both their day and mine. but i decided against it and continued to ignore everyone i walked by.

second...you have a kitten? i am so jealous. i think a cat is exactly what i need.

i am going to try to take what you say to heart, though, because you're so right.

Beetlebum said...

and also, thank you for your wonderful comment...it brightened my day. :)

Rhea said...

What a wonderful post! Very poetic and optimistic and full of light. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Pauline said...

You do what my Memere always encouraged me to do - make at least one happy memory every day. Together, those memories will be your solace when the hard days come.

Anonymous said...

Oh Frankie, I have missed you too, sweet one! I was elated to get your comments today...and then to come here to your page and be reminded of all the beauty that certainly does exist in this world. Thank you for sharing these wonderful words of hope...a new perspective that I am needing so much these days. *It is easier to be happy...why waste the time being miserable, which requires so much more effort?* It is a new perspective for me as I've always felt as if there were not really a choice. You have reminded me that there is always the choice to be happy. Thank you! And thank you for reconnecting with me...what a wonderful, warm feeling washes over me as I read your words and reflect on the beautiful woman you are.
xoxo,
taradawn

Sky said...

"...echo these divine flahes of light." lovely words and images.
:)

Lori said...

This is just wonderful! Yes so full of light and inspiring! I'm with Sky and absolutely love your last sentence, "I learn how to echo these divine flashes of light." Do you have a pic of your kitten? Would love to see her/him.

Pen said...

oh frankie, isn't the world a beautiful place when we {really} open our eyes and see it.
the you barrista was right though: it is particularly so because of "people like you". and your soulfully written words are an illustration of beauty that surrounds us. xx

Meor@Maru said...

Hmm... this is the first time I pressed the 'next blog' at the tab on the top and found an inspiring blog... It's not that others' are bad or what...

This is the exact thing that I need right now... Looking around, it's actually so much easier to be happy rather than being miserable...

So, you are right!

jenica said...

a.MAZ.ing

you amaze me beautiful girl.

i had to laugh though that you feel like you're late in coming in figuring happiness out at the old age of 23. most people don't reach such a satisfaction until they've destroyed all other options. yay for you!