About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Thought On Language



"There is so much communication and understanding beneath and apart from the substantiations of language spoken out or
written down that language is almost no more than a compression, or elaboration -- an exactitude, declared emphasis, emotion-in-syntax -- not at all essential to the message. And therefore, as an elegance, as something almost superfluous, it is likely (because it is free to be so used) to be carefully shaped, to take risks, to begin and even prolong adventures that may turn out poorly after all -- and all in the cause of the crisp flight and the buzzing bliss of the words, as well as their directive -- to make, of the body-bright commitment to life, and its passions, including (of course!) the passion of meditation, an exact celebration, or inquiry, employing grammar, mirth, and wit in a precise and intelligent way. Language is, in other words, not necessary, but voluntary. If it were necessary, it would have stayed simple; it would not agitate our hearts with ever-present loveliness and ever-cresting ambiguity; it would not dream, on its long white bones, of turning into song."

~Mary Oliver~

4 comments:

Jessie said...

i just love mary oliver. thank you for sharing this quote. she always has a way of making me think well beyond the surface.

Pauline said...

no one can say things quite like Mary Oliver. I'd not read this particular bit but it makes such lovely sense

Sky said...

oh, a new piece of oliver joy. thanks!

Beetlebum said...

very nice quote. when i read the first few sentences i thought about how i have actually had full conversations with people without uttering a single word (even though i know that's not exactly what she's trying to say).