About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Gift Of Awareness

I've been here a little over a week and my journal is already almost completely full. I've been writing in every free moment that I have, and still I feel as though the events of my life here are impossible to keep up with. It's so difficult to even know where to begin when I update this.

Friday night we all went out to an extremely fancy dinner (that cost a total of 10 dollars a person), and then out to an Indian night club for drinks. It was an amazingly good time. There was this huge dance floor that we all took full advantage of, and when "Billie Jean" began to play, I got more excited than any person ever should. Needless to say, I went around and got the entire bar to come dance their hearts out to Michael Jackson. It was fantastic.

As we wandered home around 2am, we turned the corner to find ourselves face to face with a huge elephant roaming the street. The man riding it saw our excitement and had the elephant stop so we could pet him. He offered us a ride, but mama always taught me not to take rides on elephants with strangers (thanks, mom), so we just hung out with him for a while in the street.

Three hours later, four of us crawled out of bed to begin our journey to the Taj Mahal. It's about a three hour car ride away, and I loved every minute of it. We drove through the countryside, through the cities, through the inbetweens. It was all SO beautiful, and just how you'd picture it. There were fields dotted with men and women in bright oranges and blues and greens. There were crowded streets filled with cars and cows and pigs and people. There was immensley saddening poverty and really gorgeous views. It was all so sublimely eye-opening.

I am so aware here, aware of the world, aware of myself. Everything makes me think about life on so many levels. I think about why we're here, why we're so different, why we're so similar. I think about what's beyond it all. It's a constant struggle to compare my life with those impovrished souls I see on a daily basis. I'm always thinking "I could never live that way," as though it were a choice, as though I wouldn't have to learn to if my circumstances had been different. No one should have to learn to live that way, but they do. They learn. They learn to work hard for nothing, to beg, to accept their place in life. They learn to lead a life of poverty.

How much I've wasted - time, money, resources, knowledge. How much I've taken for granted. I know that it's a cliched revelation, but for the rest of my life, I'll remember these people in the fields and on the streets. I'll remember during my comparably insignificant daily struggles, the eyes of the mothers outside our car windows begging us for money, the men on the street with missing limbs trying to get from point A to point B on their own, the abandoned children crying for attention and affection. I'll remember them, always. I'll take them back with me to my world of beers and starbucks coffees and AIM and facebook, back to the world of frivilous dillemas and needless complaints. I'll carry them home with me and share the gift they've given me, this gift of awareness.

I know that it sounds somewhat lame, but for the first time in my life, I feel whole. My friends have always been such a big part of my life, of me, and surely they always will be, but I'm more than that here. I'm more than a collection of my friends. I am me. I am this brave, friendly, independent person out exploring the world. I miss all of you, of course, but I'm also so grateful to have this reminder that I am capable of being separate from you. I'm defined as more than the girl from Chestnut Hill. I'm living my life for me, and it feels wonderful.

I have so much more to write, especially about the children I'm working with, but it will have to wait for now. I'm happy to be able to write here, but can only be here for so long before I hunger to get back outside, back out into this phenomenal and magical place, back out into life. I am so sublimely alive.

16 comments:

alan said...

My heart races as I read your words, joyously happy for you and all your the adventure you are drinking in!

Your words are not cliched or lame; they are spoken from the heart, a wonderful heart that you are sharing with the world you have entered. Of course you will be touched by all you see, hear and do; that they will be touched by you as well is a gift that is beyond any bauble or money that could find it's way to them!

Thank you for finding a few moments to share with us!

alan

meghan said...

Oh Frankie, I am at a loss for words thinking about this experience you are having. I'm just so jealous and happy and amazed. More! MORE! MORE!! sending LOVE xoox

Caroline said...

Good morning Frankie,
A deep thank you from Long Island. Your perceptions and your way of telling are a gift. I woke up feeling sad about so many things today: my fat, the current leadership of this country, my job, my toe fungus (sorry!). But your last two entries transformed me. I now feel joyful and grateful.

You wrote in an earlier entry (2005) that even as an atheist, you sense the wonders of religion all around you. I have the same perspective. Perhaps you will have time to write about the religions that you see over there.

With admiration and enthusiasm,
Caroline

gkgirl said...

wow...

i cannot even
imagine
what this must feel like

thank you for giving me
a glimpse though
through your eyes

:)

Jamie said...

You amaze me. I am filled with joy reading your last 2 posts. Your vitality is in every word. I am so happy for you. What a light you are.

Yasmin said...

Frankie, reading this just makes me feel so joyous and also a little bit envious! I am reading Indian literature and watching Indian programmes to try and feel as you as feeling - you are an amazing person and beautiful writer: I will dream of India and your beautiful descriptions...Thankyou

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Well, I was tired and somewhat grumpy until I noticed you'd blogged today. What a great account. I am so glad you are finding yourself so expanded. I'm betting you've got a lot to go yet!


I feel energized! Uh. Now I guess I should go to sleep since it's midnight. :-)

Admin said...

your words really touch the soul. have a wonderful time here. 'sky' has said it right. there are much more than poverty in india. it's a place where you have the skyscrappers and the slums co-existing side-by-side. probably that's the symbol of a growing economy. you'll find the dirt btw your fingers, laced with hunger, corruption, negligence, struggle, stinks..yet you'll find the warmth and love. welcome to India.

PS: nevertheless, be safe and alert. delhi is not the safest of places in this country. avoid moving around in the nights.

MB said...

Thank you, Frankie. Take good care.

hollibobolli said...

What a fantastic, wonderful, joyous post - I'm so happy for you!!

I don't think the awareness of being alive could happen to a more deserving individual. I'm absolutely thrilled you're having the opportunity to blog about it so we can read about your experiences here and there!

Anonymous said...

you consider yourself an atheist?!? no wonder your inner turmoil.

tara dawn said...

Dear Frankie - What a wonderful glimpse into your life in India. Thank you so much for sharing this. I can only imagine the way your perspectives are changing and the way your spirit is expanding. I am so happy for you, and so thrilled to read about your journey.
Lots of love,
Tara Dawn

liz elayne lamoreux said...

For the first time in my life I feel whole.
Wow. This is so fantastic Frankie. Everyday I think of you over there and know you are changing, growing, learning in every second of your experience. Thank you for checking in so we can know how you are doing.
Blessings to you my dear.

Laini Taylor said...

Thank you for taking the time to check in so we can all experience this vicariously through you! Do you know how few people have experiences like this in their youth? I'm convinced that if more people did, the world would be different. Better! Can't wait to see photos & hear more!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear more and perhaps see some pictures!

Amy said...

The only thing that I wish for others and myself is to be blissfully aware and self-full. Your posts are inspiring. Good luck on your journey, lucky girl!