About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Finally, An Update

I'm not even going to attempt an apology for not keeping in touch here. What I will offer is the promise to fill in ALL of the many missing details as soon as I return. I have them all written down, I just haven't had the time to write them here. Soon, I promise, soon.

I'm in Dharamsala now, way up in the Himalayas. It's absolutely gorgeous. I was lucky enough to be placed in a flat with a balcony overlooking the entire city. The mountain range gleams in the distance behind a sprinkling of mist. The sky has never appeared so vast and infinite in all my life. It's a phenomenal feeling to stand and watch the world illuminate beneath the sunrise every morning, to see every star burn in the dark night sky. It's so quiet and peaceful and amazing.

Of course, it's incredibly different from Delhi. We've added a whole new level to the India "roughing it" idea. In truth, we're just in a much poorer area. We can't take showers, but rather fill a bucket with water and pour it over us. We can't flush anything down the toilet. We (obviously) still can't drink the water, but have to be that much more careful here. We have no fridge, and often, no electricity. Still, like the locals, we're happy. Still, we continue on. It's really funny how little we need the things we've always thought of as necessities.

My volunteer work here lights up my heart to degrees I can't begin to express. Every morning I awake and walk down to the local water pump with my school supplies--crayons and paper and books. We get driven up and then down another mountain, past the dry river banks, past the fields of cows and workers, past the speeding sign that asks "what's the hurry?" We arrive at a small building, one room, and are greeted by 10 to 15 little Indian children all yelling good morning. They may be the sweetest things I've ever seen. I just adore them.

I teach them games and numbers and colors. They laugh and cry and learn. We dance, oh goodness how we dance, as the teachers drum along on old boxes. There's so much joy in that little room, so much unbridled happiness. I awake each morning smiling, just knowing that will be my day. One of my kids is named "Love," and I think that just says it all. I am so, so, so very happy.

Things have been noticeably different here than they were in Delhi though. I have much more down time to sit and think. The "market" is much further away and so we've spent very little time venturing out at night. Still, it's been a different kind of wonderful. We've sat out under the stars getting to know each other better. We have 16 new volunteers, so it's been a complete change from the group of original 9 we've come to know and love so well. I'm so glad to know them. I'm so grateful to them and for them, especially because there's been some upsetting home-life news slipping in via the internet. I'm so lucky to have these beautiful souls by my side to explore the infinite abyss, and not a day goes by when I don't think of that.

The love I feel to and for and from India is a love I never knew existed. It is truly the most comfortable and friendly place I've ever been to, and I feel more comfortable and friendly in it than at any other point in my life. I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point. I know you want details. I'm just so consumed with the emotional aspect of my life here that the details have comparably become almost insignificant.

Still, I promise to share them all with you. I promise to share the beauty and suffering, the strength and fragility, the highs and the lows I see and feel here each day. There are a countless number of phenomenal moments to share. I just hope that one day, I'll be able to do them justice. I hope that one day, I'll be able to bring you here with me, to this place of magic and wonder and life. I hope that one day, I'll be able to make you experience the all consuming love I feel right now. One day I will. I promise.

10 comments:

snowsparkle said...

Hi Frankie!!! So great to hear from you! And the way you write makes it clear to me exactly how extraordinary your time in India has been so far. I've heard other people try to describe this feeling, but none have succeeded the way your writing has to bring me right up next to the love that exist there. I'm so happy for you living this dream the way you are... so wholeheartedly! Can't wait to read more. take care! big hugs! snowsparkle

meghan said...

Hi there -

it's so nice to read your words again and to know that you are okay & excited and happy. It is obvious that you will be forever altered by this experience & again I say that I hope you are writing everything down! I can't wait to hear MORE!! Be well! Take care of yourself. LOVE!!

Somnambulist Seeker said...

You're alive! :-)
Great to hear how wonderfully things are going. No worries about the delays in between postings. The last thing you want is to miss out on the "now" because you're worried about taking pictures, blogging, or some other thing for "later".

Peace & safety to you!

Jamie said...

How wonderful to hear your voice and feel your enthusiasm again, Frankie! You know, you have inspired my husband and I to think seriously about volunteering together! I'll be pouring over any updates you provide :)

I hope you continue to have a LOVE-full time!

hollibobolli said...

Well I can't wait until you do - but if anyone had an excuse for not blogging, it's you dear girl.. I would say living a full life is the greatest excuse ever!!

I jumped when you said a child was named "love" because I've always said I would pick that if I had another girl.. and oh the ridicule!! :)

I would tell you to enjoy yourself - but I think that's redundant. I can't wait for more!

alan said...

I feel it with every word my friend!

Thank you for the update!

Sorry about the news!

alan

Sky said...

Hi Frankie! Have missed your written words, but heard them whispering your joy. Glad to see the written words here to confirm what I imagined.

I agree with someone above...do not worry about sharing now...hold on to the moments of NOW and share with us later.

These experiences are part of you now...always. It is comforting, isn't it, to know India will always be with you?

I am sorry you have had bad news from home and am glad you have a good support system there with you.

Missing you and loving it that you are finding such deep and personal joy. :)

daringtowrite said...

Frankie, I'm so excited by your expressions of joy and so glad to find these wonderful words from you. I'm sure everything you will have to tell us later about this adventure will be well worth the wait. Sorry to hear you've had bad news from home. Glad to hear you are with people you care about and who care about you. I care about you, too.

MB said...

Frankie, it's wonderful to hear your voice again. I can feel the strength of your experience in your words. Take the time to be where you are now, soak it up, savor it... you'll have plenty of time later to reflect and write about it. I am sorry you've had difficult news from home and I send all good wishes for that. Can't wait to hear more, but all in due time. Thanks for checking in with us. Ah, dear good soul, continue on in your wonderful adventure with much love and peace!

hannah said...

wow. your journey sounds absolutely amazing. I know what you mean about the details -- when I was in France this summer, although I wanted to take in every single detail around me, it was the emotional impact that came back out of me, in ways mostly indescribable. India sounds fantastic -- what a fabulous opportunity to help people, living a far different kind of luxury in the form of the people you meet. I don't even need to tell you to soak it all in.