About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy Holi!

I am so sorry for my horrendous lack of updates. I do have internet here, but it's insanely slow and not wireless, so uploading all of my pictures is going to have to wait. It's frustrating not to have more time to say all that I'd like to say or have a more suitable place to concentrate on things, but this will have to do for now.

When I do finally get a chance to update my photos, I'm quite sure that your jealousy will consume you. It is so utterly amazing here. Everything is so rich in life and culture and color. Every day is a beautiful adventure. As one of my new friends, Jordan, said over breakfast yesterday, "there's something really so magical about this place. It feels almost enchanted."

Yes, enchanted. If I had to pick one word, it would be enchanted, although even that doesn't begin to do this wonder of a place the justice it deserves. I literally cannot open my eyes without feeling inspired. The whole city seems to resonate with such gorgeous energy. I've never felt so alive.

Today was the Holi festival, the celebration of spring and the victory of good over evil. We wore all white and walked out into the street. Hundreds of children came running over in order to cover us with water and dye. Water balloons hit the street around us. By the time we left to go to the rooftop of our program director for our official celebration, we were already walking masterpieces of blues and pinks and greens. We spent the afternoon dancing and drinking and laughing and coloring one another from head to toe. I took two showers and am still completely covered. My hair is so shockingly bright green and probably will be for the next week or so. I really wish I could put my pictures up. They're extraordinary.

It was so wonderful to bond with everyone that way, to skip the usual awkward conversations (although we've done most of those) and just get to a place where we were comfortable holding each other down and drenching one another with every color of the rainbow. I've never been so dirty and stupendously happy in my life. It really was one of the greatest days I've ever experienced.

We've been seeing so many sights and I'll explain them all in greater detail when I can upload the pictures and think about this a bit more. Please excuse how truly scattered and rough this is, and that most likely all of my updates to follow will be. It's somewhat difficult to wrap my head around anything, especially in the few moments I have to come here and attempt to share some of what I'm seeing and doing and feeling.

I've had more mixed feelings here than I've had in a while, and daily feel like crying with both immense sorrow and joy and utter peace with myself and the world around me. I feel everything here so deeply, as though my soul has been longing for this kind of release throughout my entire existence thus far. I guess in so many ways, it has. I've been here 5 days and already feel like a completely different person - in a good way, in the best way. I can feel myself change from the time I awake to the time I fall asleep. Each day I am one step closer to understanding.

Anyway, out of the millions upon millions of things I have to say, this will have to do for now. India. I'm so very much head over heels in love with this place.

India.

15 comments:

meghan said...

gloriously happy to hear from you and that you are having such a deep time. I was raw with jealousy over your day of colour and dancing and JOY - oh Frankie - can't WAIT to hear more!!

LOVE to you!

gkgirl said...

even the word
india
invokes feelings of beauty
and color and interest...

i was so excited to click on you
and have an update appear...
i really wasn't expecting it
so soon,
but i kept hoping
:)

so glad to hear that all is well
and what a
fantastic holiday!!!!
that sounds like soooo much fun.

can't wait to hear
(and see!)
more!!!!!
:)

Laini Taylor said...

Frankie, wow -- I can't wait to hear more, and to see photos! What an amazing experience -- that festival sounds amazing. what a great idea! Everyone wear white and color each other as the day goes on! Update us soon!

MB said...

and daily feel like crying with both immense sorrow and joy and utter peace with myself and the world around me.
I think that says it all! Frankie, savor it all, the light and the dark... it's all part of what makes life so miraculous, tender, bittersweet and wonderful! Thanks for updating when you can. Take care.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

incredible frankie. i love to hear such excitement in your post. and can't wait to hear more and more as you keep exploring and learning and growing. beautiful!

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Awesome. So glad to hear you've arrived and are having some great experiences already!

Looking forward to hearing/seeing all about it as you're able!

tara dawn said...

Oh Frankie...my heart is literally singing with happiness for you. I cannot wait to hear more stories...this day of painting bodies in the streets sounds absolutely stupendous. What wonderful adventures...and btw, I am already jealous:)
Love to you sweet girl!!
-Tara Dawn

alan said...

Tears filled my eyes when I found your post...when they cleared I rubbed them to make sure I wasn't seeing things!

So glad you are there, even gladder you are blissfully happy!

Thank you for the post; I shall savor every word you have time for!

alan

Yasmin said...

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie - I could feel the vibrations of India in your post - I am so excited for you and so glad to hear from. Keep experiencing and dreaming and loving every minute of it -India sounds beautiful (especially put in your words!) Thinking of you often, Yasmin xxxx

Annie Z said...

I was so excited to see an update from you, Frankie. Yea, I thought, a little look into Frankie's new world in India. A little look into the new emerging Frankie that is evolving! And my enthusiasm was rewarded with your wonderful words! I am SO glad you are having such a truly amazing and rewarding and fulfilling time!!!!

JTL
xxx

GoGo said...

Thanks for sharing your journey...even if the connection is slow from there to here. :o)

Alex S said...

So glad to know you have arrived safely and are so happy! It sounds like you are just soaking it all in and I know the words and images will flow soon and I anxiously await your next post. savor every moment!

snowsparkle said...

the water and colors drenching this piece are sublime. i'm so happy for you and look forward to your continued stories of india.

hollibobolli said...

I have no doubt when I see the pictures I will be consumed with jealousy - you know I would love to go to India.. it does sound magical. I can't wait to see your pics!

Alex S said...

So wonderful to see you posted a new post! I have been thinking of you and look deeply forward to hearing more as you continue to unfold this amazing journey. Just wanted to let you know I had popped in and send you best wishes!