About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, March 06, 2006

The Basics



Somnambulist Seeker and Sky asked if I could do a quick explanation of my trip. It couldn’t have come at a more perfect time, as this morning I received my assignment. It’s still a bit vague, but I sort of almost like it better that way. I like that it will all be new and unexpected.

Here’s what I do know for certain. I’ll be volunteering at Mobile crèches, which is a non-profit organization that provides day care facilities to the underprivileged children in the slums and construction sites of Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Gurgaon & Noida. The centre caters to the holistic development of the child, which includes nutrition, education & basic health care facilities and community outreach. I’ll be working with children from ages 3-6 and teaching them everything from their ABC’s and colors to sharing and working together in groups. I think it will be a really amazing experience.

I’ll be in New Dehli for five weeks and then Dharamsala for seven. I have yet to receive my volunteer assignment for Dharamsala, but am told it will be along the same lines. Because I don’t know very much about either place, I thought I’d just post a brief explanation taken from the Cross Cultural Website, the program through which I’m volunteering.

About Dehli: “Built on the Yamuna River, New Delhi is the capital of India and is both a thriving modern city and home to much of India's great history. For centuries, the area has been a central hub of Indian life, with roads leading to every part of the country. International travelers come to India to see some of the world's most beautiful architecture, from the Great Mosque to the Mughal Palace. Among these grand structures you will find people from all over India. Cross-Cultural Solutions was founded in India and the first Volunteer Abroad program site opened in New Delhi in 1995. Country Director and local community leader, Bela Singh, played an integral role in developing our volunteer program and the organization as a whole. This will come as no surprise to volunteers who have already visited India or know its history; from Ghandi to modern activists, the people of India exude creativity in the face of challenge. In the streets of New Delhi, you are sure to encounter unimaginable poverty, but if you are open to learning, the experience can offer insight to global issues and the resilience evident in the individuals you will encounter will inspire you.”

About Dharamsala: “Located in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, Dharamsala was founded as an Indian Hill Station during the time of British rule and did not receive much attention until 1959, when the Dalai Lama fled to the area and settled at the former hill station. Dharamsala is set in beautiful cedar and deodar forest with the Himalaya mountain range as its backdrop. The nearby snow line makes the location even more picturesque and is a popular starting point for hiking, while the temples reflect the influence of Tibetan culture that has impacted this region of India, making it a unique meeting place of two ancient traditions. The refugee Tibetan community is rich in culture and welcomes visitors; volunteers in Dharamsala enjoy learning about its customs and history and often visit the area where the Dalai Lama resides.”

They’re just brief explanations really, and don’t even begin to embody what I’m sure to discover there. I’ve already begun to form ideas and visions in my head, but am quite certain they will all be quickly surpassed. Three days. Three days. Oh what a life I lead.

14 comments:

daringtowrite said...

Frankie, I'm so glad they asked and you responded. What an amazing adventure you have ahead of you. You seem to be in such a great space now and oh so ready and open for whatever will come next(despite or including the anticipatory angst). What a wonderful life you are creating for yourself. You are an inspiration.

Yasmin said...

I didn't realise your trip was about volunteering! How wonderfully unselfish and kind and caring of you. You truly are a inspiration - I am very touched by what you are doing, have a wonderful time, Yasmin

Somnambulist Seeker said...

Very, very cool.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. This is truly going to be an experience that will shape you for the rest of your life.

And of course, all those of us staying behind will be looking forward to vicariously travelling along with you. :-)

Laini Taylor said...

You must be so excited! I hadn't realized you were volunteering - I just thought you were traveling. This will be a life experience the likes of which most people never even come close to. I believe so deeply that if everyone were exposed to world travel at an early age, the planet would be filled with much more empathetic, much less judgmental people. There is nothing so infuriating to me as people who believe they're so fantastic and perfect that not only should others be just like them, but that they have the moral authority to MAKE others like them. People like that didn't travel when they were young! I hope you will be able to get to a computer regularly and let us all know how you're doing! And let us send you care packages! Safe travels & wonderful dreams, Frankie!

snowsparkle said...

let me resurrect a saying from my era that seems appropriate for this amazing journey of kindness and service you are embarking on: far out!!!!! i'm serious, this is the best wild adventure i could imagine you having. those kids are going to love you, frankie! i will look forward to posts during your trip. and in between them, i'll miss you! xxoo- snowsparkle

meghan said...

*sigh!* Frankie, you will never be the same. Are there postal addresses where we could send you things?

Are you going with a group who offer discussions both before and after? A friend of mine did something like this and her re-entry to life in Canada was really difficult for a few months. I hope that there is support in place for you.

I'm so proud of you and excited for you. You must be TINGLING!! I can't wait to hear from you when you can get to us!! SENDING LOVE.

gkgirl said...

sounds like the
chance for a wonderful experience...
:)

MB said...

Big smile on my face! Frankie, you are going to GROW. This is big. Reach for support when you feel you need it. And have confidence that in the long run this will be tremendously wonderful. What an opportunity! I'm very excited for you. Thanks for sharing the details you know.

tara dawn said...

Frankie - I am so excited for you and so proud of you. This will no doubt be a life-altering experience. I will miss you deeply, but know that your spirit will continue to walk with me through the days. And please let me know if you will have a postal address.
Lots of love and big, big bear hugs!!!
-TD

hollibobolli said...

I'm so glad you posted this.. I've been wondering about the details.

I can't think of anyone more perfect for this assignment!! I'm excited for you - and I can't wait for your first update.

Yes, what a LIFE you lead!!

Unknown said...

it sounds so exciting! I can't wait to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Claudia said...

How wonderful and exciting! I can´t wait to read about it all, and please do let us know if you need anything.

alan said...

May your journey be as wonderful as you are, Frankie! If it is you will have an ecstatic time!

alan

GoGo said...

Safe journies. May the sun guide you, the moon comfort you, and wisdom light your path.

I look forward to reading more when you are back.