About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Anticipatory Angst



I apologize for my truly awful lack of updates. The trouble with returning to my journal is that it begins to take over my life. I’m already a quarter of the way through it, and it’s only been three days. I’m a little worried about having to carry hundreds of journals back from India if I keep going at this rate. Blogging and emailing should be good distractions from it.

I still can’t believe that I’m leaving on Thursday. People keep asking me how I’m feeling, and yes, I am extremely excited and perhaps even a little nervous, but neither of those words seem to fully embody the emotional state I’m in right now. It’s something more. It’s what one of my favorite people calls “anticipatory angst.” It’s knowing that my life will never be the same as it is in this moment. It’s the thrilling prospect of adventure, and the rewarding experience of making peace with my life as it is now. This is it. I’ll never be exactly this same way.

I’m so excited for what I will be, for the kind of person I can already feel myself becoming. I am growing. I am beginning to step into the role of the life long learner I’ve kept tucked away in my head and heart for so long. I am stepping into the world as a writer, an explorer, a lover of life. I am stepping into the world ready to receive whatever it has to offer me. I am opening myself up to possibility.

Thursday afternoon, my best friend’s mom called me to wish me luck on my trip and to far too kindly compliment me on my blog. It was so absolutely lovely of her. It really does mean so very, very, very much to me that people even take the time to read this, let alone talk to me about it. It’s really quite amazing how many conversations this blog has initiated for me, how many relationships it’s strengthened. It’s become a really important part of my life.

It allowed me to spend my time at dinner on Thursday night with my brother and sister-in-law discussing things I’d been really longing to discuss. We talked about Tommy in China and how I felt about his decision to potentially move there. We talked about our families and the dynamics of the relationships within them. We talked about traveling. We talked about politics. We talked about my relationship with my father.

It meant everything to me. Most especially getting to talk about my dad with the one person I felt could really ever understand it fully, my dear, dear brother. I’m sorry that we’ve both had to go through this, he probably much worse than me, but I am grateful that I have someone to talk to, someone to listen, someone who understands. I am grateful that I feel closer to him because of it, and maybe even more like him because of it. I’m grateful to feel that I’m like someone that I admire as much as I do.

Later that night, I made my way up to Villanova to see someone else I greatly admire. I spent the night talking and laughing with him and his friends. It was wonderful, really wonderful. I was so immensely joyful to have that opportunity to say goodbye to him. I was so immensely joyful just to be out doing something different, meeting new people, having my faith in my happiness be renewed and reinforced. It made me so much more excited for my trip.

I’m so excited to meet new people and share new laughter. I’m so excited to experience new things, to expand my knowledge, to revel in the new depths of my soul. I’m so excited to grow into me, into the truest version of myself that I’ve ever been before. The future is waiting and I am stepping into it ready to be amazed.

11 comments:

Alex S said...

So its THIS Thursday???? wow! I am so excited for you Frankie. You are right, you'll never be the same again. Every time you take a risk you can't stretch back to your original dimensions. Know that I am thinking of you and so very much looking forward to your posts from India!

meghan said...

WOW WOW WOW. I am so jealous and proud and excited for you and nervous about it all and psyched to see how you change and interested to hear about your adventures!! How long are you gone for? Oh, please know how much you are cared for and supported and how many of us CAN'T WAIT to hear EVERYTHING!!! This will change your life. You go, girl!!!

Annie Z said...

And we are all excited for you, Frankie! I so look forward to hearing about the newest version of you that is going to emerge!
JTL
xxx

liz elayne lamoreux said...

This is so amazing. The journey is about to begin...but in many ways it already has. You have already learned so much. I am anxiously anticipating all that the next few weeks and months will bring for you. Thursday will be here so soon!!!

alan said...

Excited for you opening the door to another world and another chapter in your life; trying not to shed a tear over how much I will miss you...

Enjoy each moment; journal it, photgraph it, savor each for all of us...

You will be missed...you are adored and treasured...

alan

gkgirl said...

ahhhhh...
you do not have to apologize
for lack of posts...
after all,
it is quality
not quanity
and in quality, there is no lack.

amazing words
and i can't wait to see
india
through your eyes...
:)

Somnambulist Seeker said...

I am green with envy. Deep green. The only thing that might make it better is if you blog it for me. :-) I wish you enormous amounts of luck & safety as you tackle this adventure.

Hey, if you have a minute, could you do a short supplementary (non-elegant is fine) entry explaining what exactly it is that you'll be doing, where you're going, etc.?

Sky said...

Frankie,

Your blog is such a joy to read. Your enthusiasm for life and for the adventures you anticipate seeps out of the page and drips into us all. I look forward to hearing all about your discoveries as they unfold in India.

I still would love to know what the plan is for you in India - is this an organized tour, are you visiting someone who lives there, are you planning to work there, is it a personal and independent vacation, are you studying coursework or yoga or joining an exchange program...WHAT? How long will you be there? We have asked more than once - please tell! :)

You are going to my husband's motherland. You will be astonished at the depth of rich history and tradition you find among the many cultures and languages there. I hope you can post pics while you are gone.

Safe winds....

Anonymous said...

you are on the right path. go and return with His safety, peace, and blessings.

Unknown said...

wow! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear what you learn.

hollibobolli said...

I can't believe it's coming up so soon either.

Don't be surprised that anyone gushes about your blog.. you offer amazing insights - and write about things that have both touched me, and made me think about my own life.

I'm so glad for your new upcoming adventure, but I'll miss all the frequent blog updates! I guess I'll just be pleased to see how your point of view changes with new experiences.