About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Treasure



I pulled into the driveway and he darted across the yard, his sleek and narrow body bounding through patches of missing grass as though they were stepping stones. How he managed to hold onto it with only his tiny squirrel mouth I'll never know, but there it was, this one perfect tomato just at the peak of its ripeness. It was the color of fiery sunsets drawn by children, bright reds and oranges and yellows bursting with the idea that the sun won't go down without a fight. And the squirrel clung to it as though it were the sun itself, as though it were the something to thank for all of existence, as though it were precious and powerful and at the very center of everything. He ran toward me like a dog playing fetch, that look of discovery and pride on his tiny face, but at the last moment turned and scurried up the tree. I was glad of this. It was his treasure, not mine.

As I sit on the porch this morning, the air has already changed. Fall wafts in with it's familiar comforting scent. Leaves have already started to change color and float softly down upon the inviting earth. Yes, I think, a new beginning.

I wonder how many are allotted in life. How many times can we wipe our slates clean? How many chances do we get to be forgiven for our mistakes? How many opportunities are there to start fresh, to start over, to take those first steps? How many days can I dub as the first of the rest of my life before such a declaration becomes meaningless?

I thought about this last night as I lay in bed waiting for sleep to come. What I'd like to believe is that new beginnings are limitless. Every day can be the first day because every day is different, something new, something precious. Even in the most monotonous stages of a life there are details waiting to be discovered and admired and cherished. There are ways of seeing the world as an invitation for happiness if one knows how to look at it right. There are ways of learning this skill that are as simple as opening your eyes, as slowing down, as listening to a single bird greet you into your day, as I did this morning. Open your senses and the soul will follow. It knows how to blossom in gladness. It knows how to begin again.

Tuesday is the first day of my new job and I'm excited for something new, for another round of beginnings, for new people and ideas and realizations. I'm ready for change. In fact, I've been craving it. Something I've learned about myself is that as much as I think that I want free time, I'm not very good at it. I need to be busy. I need to be out in the bustling world exploring and watching and discovering. I need to be having adventures, even if they're as small as watching a child learn something new, or finding a new perfect place to sit and write in my journal, or coming across a garden so filled with color and life that for a brief moment I am left literally breathless. What I need, more than anything, is to be inspired.

And so I think of the squirrel and of his treasure. I think of the delicate, simple loveliness of that scene. I think about how being inspired is sometimes as easy as letting go, as letting it happen, as letting the beauty of the universe consume you. I think about how even now, in the quiet stillness of this Sunday morning, the beginning of a new week, I am filled with joy and gratitude simply to be a witness to the grace of this world.

And I think about how I must seem in this moment, bounding through patches of doubt and uncertainty as though they were stepping stones, clinging to the fiery treasure of knowing how to love my life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a gorgeous post -- your writing leaves me shaking my head in admiration. and then i remember that it's not just your writing, it's also the way that you see the world that is so inspiring to me.
best of luck with the new job.

Sky said...

sending good wishes for your new beginning. can't wait to hear more about it!

the photo of you for your blog profile is just adorable, frankie! i had not seen it before. :)

Pen said...

dear frankie, what a beautiful post... and i too, like you, hope for (and believe!) in limitless new beginnings. not just with each fresh day we are lucky enough to awake to, but with each precious moment we choose.

congratulations of your new job. i am eager to hear more about it, and those whose lives you will walk in to on tuesday, will be lucky to have you xxx

Lori said...

I am always so amazed at your writing and the way you define your life. Amazing! I hope you had a wonderful first day at your new job. To the limitless adventure of your life - celebrate.

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful piece of writing. the imagery or the squirrel holding so much of the world in his little mouth is a surprising but wonderful image!
good luck on your new job!

meghan said...

sweetheart - I hope it is ALWAYS like that for you - bounding through doubt and uncertainty... you are wonderful!!

xo

Ms Martha Moore said...

I am new in the world of blogging, and i found yours inspiring and positive - just what i need to start my new beginnings after a series of bad luck for a couple of months back.

and i have to admit that u make me think of small things to be enjoyed, cherished and celebrated.

thank you for this wonderful post.

daringtowrite said...

I love this tribute to treasure and new beginnings. I can just picture that little squirrel so pleased with his find. Lovely images.

jenica said...

i'm missing you. hope the new job is working out well.

xoXOxo

madelyn said...

oh you sound utterly infused with
autumns painterly gusts:)

and i love that quote ~ perfection:)

Pauline said...

when you realize that we create our lives anew whenever we think new thoughts about it, the possibilities ARE limitless. This post makes me think you are living the Mary Oliver quote in the previous post and don't realize it.

heartwarming, beautiful writing as always

Lori said...

Hi Frankie,
I have left something for you on my blog. :-)