About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Trying



Perhaps I simply needed to write it down. Or, more likely, perhaps I just needed to write. The act of typing seems to soothe me more than the actual words being set upon the page. It's strange to think of how quickly I seem to forget what comfort feels like. It's strange to think of how quickly I seem to forget that I am capable of saving myself, of pulling myself back from some dark and dreary place, of rediscovering the way light gently radiates from all of existence. It's strange to think of how quickly I can become blind to the things that once consumed my attention, those small and delicate details that make waking each day purposeful and perfect. It's strange to think that it's possible for me to ever feel joyless in a life that offers up so much joy.

Nothing happened necessarily. There were no epiphanies or revelations. There were no answers found. There were simply moments when sunlight poured through my bedroom window with such elegant poignancy that even the most cynical of souls would be forced to believe in beauty. Moments when the gentle grace of the universe hummed the sing song melody of life itself. Moments when I felt humbled by my existence, filled with gratitude for the continuation of my story. There were simply moments when whatever it was I've been searching for - a path, a destination, a direction - seemed insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

And of course, it isn't insignificant. It's something I need to figure out, for me, for the sake of my happiness, for my own peace of mind. It means something to me to have places I want to go, things I want to accomplish. It means something to me to have dreams to work toward, whether they're realistic or not. It means something to me to keep moving forward, into a future where I can become a better me, where I can become the best version of myself, where I can become the kind of person I can maybe learn to love.

I understand that it's a process. I understand that I won't wake up one morning to a perfect life, all of my ducks miraculously in a row. I understand that it takes work, that it involves facing fears and admitting things I'd rather not admit and discovering, somehow, a way to have the kind of faith in myself that I have in those I love. I understand that I am not the only one learning these lessons. I understand that feeling lost and afraid and doubtful are just as much a part of life as feeling euphorically happy and content. I understand it is a balancing act. I understand it is a journey. I understand. I do.

It's just difficult to ignore the places that feel empty inside. It's difficult to see the places already filled, the fundamental fullness of a life being lived, when there is also this insatiable ache for the unknown. It's easy to let the negative thoughts outweigh the positive. It's easier to fall down than to climb back up. That's just the way of things. And I understand that too.

And so I try my best to be inspired by books and people and moments. I try my best to know that most of what I decide is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, even if it feels like everything at the time. I try my best to have faith that this too shall pass. I try my best to concentrate on those small and delicate details. I try my best to feel forever joyful in a world that offers up so much joy. I try my best to feel full in the most desolate of places, those times in my life made up of nothingness, those empty spaces inside my heart that never cease to ache. I try my best to believe there is more for me to do, and see, and love, and be. I try my best to see the beauty in such hope.

I try my best to type my way out of sadness, and sometimes, like now, it works.

5 comments:

Pen said...

oh dear sweet frankie, you write with such poignant honesty. and you describe emotions so real that we all have felt them at one time or another ~ and will most likely feel again... i like to call these "growing pains". the ache that accompanies and precedes a change in life: a growth. new directions. new discoveries.
you already understand so much of life: the beauty and the complexities that some strive a lifetime to appreciate. and you are right: "this too shall pass"
until then, if you ever need someone to remind you how special you are and how much you have to offer: i'm here xx

Lori said...

Frankie I am moved by your honesty. It is wonderful that you embrace all of what you are feeling. Yes like Pen said most people strive their whole life to make some of the discoveries you are making right now. You are wise. Compassion for yourself is so important. I read somewhere something to the effect that we are all trying and doing the best we can do and therefore everyone should have compassion for themselves. I love, "It means something to me to have dreams to work toward, whether they're realistic or not. It means something to me to keep moving forward, into a future where I can become a better me, where I can become the best version of myself, where I can become the kind of person I can maybe learn to love." Beautiful! I'm here for you whenever you need a friend.
Lori :-)

Sky said...

:)

Pauline said...

You write so beautifully. It's always a pleasure to read here.

When we're in the midst of hard times, desolate times, it is difficult to remember what the good life felt like. I keep a talisman - a small bit of deliberate happiness to challenge the darkness. It can be a piece of music, a photograph, a quote, a book - anything that I know will make me feel connected to the best of times. When the pendulum swings to the sorry side of life, which it will, I allow myself that small bit of planned joy. It's like the first chink in the wall.

daringtowrite said...

Frankie, I hadn't realized how deeply I'd missed reading your thoughts until I found my way back here tonight. Too many blogs on a list of those I read and too little time to make my way through the list more often. I'm so glad I just dove into the list tonight and clicked on you.