About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, August 11, 2008

Questions



I quit my job six weeks ago and have had nothing but wonderful, terrible, endless amounts of time. As expected, the first few weeks were fabulous; sleeping in past five, checking items of my to-do lists, reading entire days away. But equally expected came that turning point, that moment creeping up ever so slightly, quiet and undetected, until it was right beside me, nagging me urgently with the demanding awareness and unrelenting cruelty of time.

I wonder where it comes from, this need to be doing, this fear of wasting moments, this feeling of uselessness. I wonder why so much of my identity is dependent on what I do, and not, essentially who I am. I wonder if I can even define who I am, put a name to it, without the convenient blanketed idea of an occupation. It's more difficult than one would think.

While in Prague last December, I visited a preschool where a friend of mine was working, and the director very kindly took the time to show me around and talk with me about education. She was a lovely woman, interesting, well-traveled, passionate about her career and life in general. I love these spirited characters. I love that they give me something to look forward to, to aim for. I could be like that, someday, if I tried hard enough. I could be fiery and strong and in love with my life. I could be more than a weak, timid girl standing on the edge of her life, fearing the unknown before her, fearing - more than anything else - that what lies ahead is not the unknown, but rather just the continuation of a predictable, indifferent life. I am so tired of feeling half asleep in a world so awake with wonder.

This woman asked me to tell her about myself, and so I told her about teaching. She smiled politely. "No" she said, "tell me about YOU." Eight months later, I still have no idea how to answer this question. I looked at her anxiously trying to think of something to say, something that would express who I am, something that would define me. She sensed my unease. "R. tells me you've been spending your days sitting in cafes and writing." I laughed a little and nodded. Maybe that summed it up entirely.

I think about this moment quite a bit, especially at stages in my life like this, when I have nothing but time. My inability to answer that question both frightens and saddens me. I used to have such a lust for life. I used to have things that truly interested me, that I was passionate about, that defined me. I used to have goals and dreams and an idea of who I was and who I was working to become. And now, I'm just not sure. I've been unwilling to write simply out of the fear of having to admit my uncertainty. I've been avoiding the question. I've been avoiding my life.

When I discuss these types of issues with adults, they remind me that they were much older than I am before they figured out what they wanted, who they were, how to love and accept themselves. I know that they mean it to be comforting. I know that what they are trying to offer me is this idea of time, that I have more of it than I think, that it will help me to heal, that it is in fact a gift, and not cruelty at all. But what I hear is that I'll have to wait ten years before I'm happy. What I hear is that I'm too young to understand any of this. What I hear is 'wait it out. Float through. Be lost so that you can be found." What I hear is that there is no way out other than time. And I hate that. And I wish that I could simply jump ahead.

I wish that I knew how to tell you who I am. I wish that I knew myself.

6 comments:

Beetlebum said...

I often look back and say "I used to be so artistic" or "I used to be so talented in this way" and other I used to's. I think it's good to look back but you also need to look at now, and look forward, even if you don't know what's there. Trust me, I understand how you feel 100%, being unsure of what you want, of who you are. You don't have to float through life. What you'll realize in those ten years before you are supposedly happy is that you're living and as long as you make the best out of it and are a good person (which you are), things will work out for you.

And I wish you would not stop writing. You touch a lot of people with your words.

Jamie said...

Whatever you're aching to be (fiery, passionate, spirited...) it is in you. Trust yourself and your instincts. You are meant to shine.

Sky said...

frankie, it is a process! it is not AN answer! life is a journey - it is not a destination! it seems to me you are missing the forest while you are looking FOR the trees.

i am sorry to hear you are experiencing such anxiety about defining yourself and that it is interfering with your enjoyment of life. the traveling we do internally and externally as we go about the daily routine of living is how we all learn more about ourselves and each other. it is not magic. it is life.

i don't know if you are looking for a new job or going back to school - either way, good luck in your endeavors. you are writing chapters right now. some will be more relevant than others. all are important to the whole. :)) big hugsssss.

Pen said...

i think many who read this post will find themselves nodding in understanding. i certainly do. but i don't want to tell you how it took me until my thirties to define myself, or that i am still in the process of doing so. i don't want to tell you that sometimes it feels like a neverending quest and i secretly wonder if 'the end' is quite literally that! it would all sound a little bleak and depressing!
but i don't mean for it to be. and most of the time it's not. in fact over the years it's been a liberating lesson and one i wish i discovered a lot earlier: don't spend so much time questioning yourself! honestly. i feel like i wasted so much of my time thinking about that... questioning who i wanted to be or what i wanted to do: instead of just getting out there and doing it! i feel that i spent more time as a bystander of life, questioning my place in it, when all i really wanted was to contribute towards it!
so what ever you may be feeling in those darker lonely moments sweet frankie ~ take heart in the fact that by putting those feelings out here, by weaving the magic that you do with your words: sharing them with the world ~ you ARE a contributor to life. trust that. trust yourself, and anything else is a bonus xx

Lori said...

It is a process. I think a never ending process. New experiences help you to learn new things about yourself that you never knew existed until the moment they happen and you are changed. Then you redefine yourself, then something else comes along to alter your thoughts of yourself, it's never ending. That is what is so wonderful about life. You see that because it is reflected in your writing. Whether it is a time of great happiness or sadness there is something to be learned from it that then creates a new aspect of yourself. Have you ever read any of Dan Millman? He has written many books, like Way of the Peacefule Warrior, and The Laws of Spirit. Check out Laws of Spirit - it is an inspiring read, with lots of gems in ways to cultivate and embody who you are. Take care Frankie, xo Lori

daringtowrite said...

I love that you are writing about this so openly, showing who you are in this moment even if you cannot define yourself.