About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Monday, July 24, 2006

A Precious Human Life



"Every day, think as you wake up:
Today I am fortunate
to have woken up.
I am alive,
I have a precious human life.
I am not going to waste it.
I am going to use
all my energies to develop myself,
to expland my heart out to others,
to achieve enlightenment for
the benefit of all beings.
I am going to have
kind thoughts towards others.
I am not going to get angry,
or think badly about others.
I am going to benefit others
as much as I can."

~His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama

I was going to begin this post "I've been feeling uninspired lately," but that isn't the case at all. In truth, I think about writing in every moment of every day, and yet, something's been stopping me from blogging lately. There's no reason or rhyme to it. It's become this idea that taunts me, haunts me, hovers around me begging me to jump in. And I stand on the edge afraid.

What is it that I fear? Admitting to myself that I'm not living from the depths of me, that I'm not embracing the ideas of the quote above though I face it each morning on my wall, that I'm not who you think I am or who I want to be? The truth is, I'm perfectly content until I begin writing and discover I'm not. Writing has always been both a blessing and a curse.

It's not that I'm unhappy. What I'm feeling isn't sadness or depression, it's the sense that I'm only skimming the surface of life when my soul wants so desperately to plummet into the fullness of the world. I feel like I'm floating, drifting. I don't know exactly what I want, and what's even more frustrating than being directionless, is not knowing where to begin looking for some kind of direction, some kind of meaning. I don't know where to start.

And then I am reminded, "today I am fortunate to have woken up," and I am, and I know that. Maybe that's as good a place as any to start. Today is a brand new day, as tomorrow will be, and the day after that. Each one promises the prospect of a new beginning. Each one promises a chance to begin it all again. Perhaps my yesterdays have been filled with aimlessness, but my tomorrows hold up their cupped hands before me and invite me to crawl in. I will be safe in their custody. I will remember to breathe. I will cry and laugh and sing. I will suddenly find answers to questions that once seemed dauntingly futile to ask. I will have that epiphany, that moment of "ahh yes, this is what I'm supposed to do, this is who I'm supposed to be." And I will realize, finally, that even if that moment never arrives, I'll still be okay.

Because when it comes down to it, "I am alive. I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it." I will not waste my days dwelling on yesterdays and hoping for tomorrows. My one life is far too precious for that. As is yours. As are all.

Maybe I need to drift for a while before I find my course. Maybe I just need to be content with that. Maybe life works just as this entry has, twisting and turning and ending up somewhere completely different than where it began. This is the blessing side of the bittersweet act of writing, for it is here that I feel better. For it is here that I am reborn. Today I am fortunate to have woken up.

9 comments:

Jeannette* said...

I came to your blog through Tara Dawns's Creative Exchange links. I really resonate with this post and living this "precious life" just because it is a gift--being ok with not finding that illumined path and embracing my existence and the light I hope to bring to others. Thank you for sharing yours. This is beautiful.

hollibobolli said...

That was a wonderful poem.. because we do forget to count our most basic of blessings. Do you think you could come slam it in my senile bosses face?

did I just miss the point? kidding!!

MB said...

Twisting and turning, yes... This is lovely. Thanks once again.

Sky said...

you are fortunate, indeed...you are awake in many ways. some people aren't. the surprise of finding yourself somewhere you didn't expect to be can be exhilarating. :)

alan said...

If you could only realize your influence on me...

I aspire to become what you think I am...

You inspire me to become who I would like to be...

You remind me to live in the now, not the glories or horrors of the past...

and you remind me I have to live for my dreams to come true!

alan

M said...

This is another powerful post, I'm always so excited when I see you have posted again! Your words are so strong and so full of truth and honesty, it's such an inspiration. I too wonder some days what it's all about, but am learning to keep it all in perspective.
I'm putting that quote on my fridge for sure!!

gkgirl said...

thank you for sharing that quote...
it is a powerful reminder...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty, wisdom, and courage. Be well.

Anonymous said...

Dear dreamer,

The writing will come, that intense leap into the depths and soul of life and all its beauty... it will come...

Sometimes we need to cease being so deep into it so we can appreciate it even more when we get back in. It allows us to see the other side for a moment.

It is frustrating, I have been skimming myself for some time, but I also appreciate my precious human life and I live to better myself and others and to have my heart open to the world.

I was looking for this mantra to send to a friend who was feeling a bit down and lost. I too have it on my wall and read it each morning as I wake. It allows me to feel centered.

I am so very happy I found it on your blog. Your words and thoughts are beautiful, which can only mean one thing, you must have a beautiful soul.

Thank you for sharing that with the world.

:)