About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Poetry Thursday ~ The Painting



I remember
Sitting beside him and his guitar.
That was all he needed on his journey.
I held my journal between my sun soaked fingers.
That was all I needed on mine.

The sun was setting
In the distance between an island and the shore,
As though they had separated themselves to make room
For the vibrant bursts
Of oranges and purples and pinks.
As though they knew how perfect
The golden sphere
Would look slowly dropped between them.
As though they were both
The painting and
The painter.

We told our stories
Over the background of his songs,
And more people gathered around
To share their stories,
Their songs.
Soon we were a harmonious
Group of birds
Chirping and chattering in
The arrival of the moon.

He sat above us
In the hut next to mine
Smoking his corn cob pipe.
I watched him
For much longer than I had realized
Until he looked down to notice me
Looking up.

He nodded.

I nodded back
And smiled
As he returned his gaze back out towards the sky.

I followed his example.

For I too
Longed to be
Both the painting
And the painter
Of my life.

11 comments:

M said...

This is so beautiful. You have managed to take me away with you with your words...wow. And what a photo. Our travel photos are full of sunsets, not one the same. Thank you for sharing!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

becoming the artist of your life. yes. realizing this is very powerful indeed my dear.

i love the picture you have painted with your words.

(soon i will catch up on all the posts i have missed. yikes! i need to get used to having you here again...)

Jim Brock said...

A very right ending to your poem, to really get it.

mareymercy said...

I like this, very straightforward language, but still evokes a warm, reflective feeling. It definitely drew me in. Very nice!

gkgirl said...

i liked the ending,
the painter and the painting...
perfect
:)

Sky said...

Hi Frankie,

I have been in and out during the summer - busy with life, garden, and a little local travel. It has been so nice to catch up with you again and to read about the resettlement process you are undergoing. I am glad to see your friend is home, that you are finding you are always "You" no matter where you physically find yourself, and to read this beautiful poetry you share. You are indeed the artist who paints the canvas of your life...and it is a glorious life you are painting! Keep sharing your photographs of India. They are such a delight. :)

Hugssss! Sky

Cinnamon Spider! said...

That's a beautiful picture I have saved it onto my computer hehe.
I also really like the poem it was very pretty :)

tara dawn said...

Frankie -
This is truly a beautiful poem...I am in awe at the beauty of your words! My own words dissipate into the air as I read these lines, seeing the sunset, feeling the unity of people and the universe and the beauty of communion, in so many ways! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Love to you,
TD

meghan said...

AMAZING poem. I was still chuckling over the image of the corn cob pipe when I was blindsided by the beauty of the last stanza - YES!! ME TOO!!!

hollibobolli said...

That was a beautiful poem along with a stunning photo.. I just loved it!!

MB said...

You are indeed the artist of your life, as you have expressed so clearly here. Wonderful writing, Frankie.

More, I want more! ;-)