About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Reminders



This morning the vibrantly vivacious tulips remind me that life is meant to blaze with beauty. The magnolia trees remind me to pause and consider their sweet intoxicating petals as they fall softly and solemnly upon the inviting grass from which they bloom. The daffodils tilt their thirsty faces towards the sun to remind me to soak in the light upon my own insatiably yearning spirit. "Feel it," they offer. "Let it devour you." I listen carefully to their advice, these wild and wise ornaments of the earth.

This morning I spent two hours at the DMV renewing my license. I was reminded of the first time I had stood in that very spot waiting to take my learner's permit test, an anxious girl of sixteen embarking on her first big milestone in the long journey towards adulthood. How different I was then. How different everything was then. Seven years later I stood upon that same square of sidewalk and reminded myself of how far I've come. Sometimes looking back is the only way to prove to oneself that things have moved forward.

Two geese flew over head, mirror images of one another, reminding me that no one should have to go through this life alone. I was the only one to look up, to follow them across the sky until they drifted completely out of sight into the unknown. No one else noticed this priceless flight, this precious moment of beauty and understanding and love. No one else even considered the depths of meaning rising and falling with their four wings flapping in perfect unison. I was reminded of how differently we all approach this world, of how minds made of the same matter can somehow work so disparately, of how flowers blooming from the same soil can hold such unique scents and secrets within the core of their blossoms.

It is my mother's 55th birthday today and so I went over to spend some quality time discussing life over coffee, a pastime I have inherited love for from my mother. We talked about my new house and my upcoming five year high school reunion. We talked about our old house and memories from my days in school. We talked about a history I can only know through my mother and about a present that we are learning to know together. We gleamed over thoughts for the future and giggled over anecdotes from the past. I was reminded of my mother's wisdom and her strength and the way her friendship means more to me than anything else ever could. I was reminded that I am my mother's daughter and of how proud that makes me. I was reminded of how easy it is to find heros in the people we love.

The scent of barbeque wafts through my open windows. I rub my naked toes against each other. It may just be spring, but summer is already beginning to tease us as only summer can. "Soon," she whispers on the soft wind. I smile at her flirtatious taunting.

I dream of things to come. In eleven days we go to settlement and the house will be officially ours, keys in hand, delight in hearts. I've already begun packing and thinking of places to set things. But more than that, more than the physical placement of inanimate objects, I have been thinking towards this new beginning, this new life for myself. A life filled with gardening and cooking and parties. A life with neighbors and a roommate and a home to fill as I please. A life brimming with opportunity and possibility and exquisite joy. I am reminded of how blessed I am in this life. I am reminded of how truly magnificent it is simply to be alive.

The flowers look towards the sky and remind me to grow. Two geese fly by and remind me to love. My mother holds me and reminds me to be grateful. I immerse myself in my dreams and remind myself to blaze with the beauty of life.

I stand under the sun, waiting and willing. I let it devour me.

7 comments:

Lori said...

WOW! This is amazing Frankie and really poetic! "Sometimes looking back is the only way to prove to oneself that things have moved forward, can hold such unique scents and secrets within the core of their blossoms, I immerse myself in my dreams and remind myself to blaze with the beauty of life." All of your writing but especially these beautiful sentences capture my heart. Wonderful Frankie!

Tabor said...

You certainly do live within the moment and that makes your life so much richer. I am trying to be more like that...but not as successful as life does get in my way. Congratulations on the owning of your first house. A sense of place is so important.

jenica said...

you are indeed such a poet. every word you write is dripping in goodness. there are so many juicy tidbits here, i can't even name them all. *sigh* you are so dreamy.

i can't wait to see pics of the new place and all the lovely things you'll do in it and with it. ;-D

Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

gorgeous post...wow...your words really do touch me...

...i have got to remember to add you to my sidebar so i can find you more easily...

Pen said...

breathtakingly beautiful post frankie. honestly you write words that pulse with life ~ it is so wonderful to read: and that's before i even get to the message!
again, true words of wisdom. i love the line: "i was reminded of how easy it is to find heros in the people we love." so true, yet something i certainly fail to pay real attention to. thanks for the poetic reminder. xx

liz elayne lamoreux said...

so much beauty and joy in this post. thank you for sharing yourself...

Claire said...

Gorgeous. As are you, sweet girl.

Cxx