About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Yes



"But it's sunny outside" she said, pointing at our snowflake covered walls. Trying to explain the concept of seasons to two year olds is difficult when global warming is involved. We spent all morning playing outside, running through the leaves, standing with our arms spread wide, letting the wind blow us whichever way it chose.

Despite the harm I know our poor earth is facing, I've been grateful for the gorgeous weather. It's been lovely and rejuvenating, like spring itself. It's been exactly how I've been feeling, a rebirth of the spirit, a mending of the soul.

I've been trying to say "yes" to things and to stick with those promises. It sounds like such an easy task, but it's been difficult for me these past few months. It's been difficult to agree to go out, to make time for things beyond work, to step out into the world and explore it the way I had always done, the way I was meant to. Sometimes it feels like the real work of my life is simply to savor the beauty around me.

And somewhere along the line, I think I forgot that. Or at the very least, ignored it. Somehow I allowed my job to consume me, and not in the fun way where I devoted my everything to it, but in a way that allowed my waking up each morning for that purpose to define me. I allowed the definition of myself to be reduced to a title.

When in fact, I am so much more than what I do. Of course it is a part of who I am, and I am grateful for the label of teacher, but I am also grateful for the rest of me. I am grateful for the labels of writer, traveler, explorer, thinker, dreamer, sister, daughter, friend. And I am grateful for those pieces of me that cannot be labeled, defined, condensed into words. I am grateful for my layers.

I have never truly considered myself a pessimist, but when it comes to how I view my own life, I always have been. I have always felt that I was lacking something, that I was less than I could be or should be. Even as I write that, I still feel it to be true. And of course, it IS true. There is so much more that I'm capable of. There is so much more that I could be if I just tried. If I just opened myself up to possibility. If I just had a little faith in myself.

But instead of searching inside myself for faith, for strength, for courage, I've looked outward. I've looked to other people. I've looked to define myself in labels, in concepts, in these tiny categories I've created within the world. I've looked for so long at this idea of who I should be that I've forgotten who I already am. I've forgotten what I already have. I've forgotten to embrace my triumphs along with my failures.

And so I am trying now to not only say yes to social invitations, but to say yes to myself as well. Yes, I can be something more, but yes, I am already something. Yes, it is okay to feel a little lost and confused and even sad and alone, but yes, it is also okay to feel happy even if not much has changed. Yes, I am capable of things, but yes, it is going to take more than capability to accomplish them. Yes, I am a dreamer, but yes, I also must live in the real world. Yes, I have a blessed life, but yes, I do want more.

Yes, it is January, but yes, it does feel like spring.

2 comments:

alan said...

Wow! I stop by and find that the floodgates have opened and one of the most wonderful writers I've ever gotten to read has been busy so far this year!

Welcome back...your heart has been missed!

alan

Sky said...

i look at this concept as a work in progress...we all are. it is always a process, an on-going, never-ending process called life - until we die. when i look at it that way it is easier for me to accept the various stages since nothing ever feels really finished. this is a difficult concept for those of us who feel hurried or who have obsessive compulsive disorder. many of us with OCD actually stop in our tracks since moving slowly or seeming to always be "unfinished" is so difficult to accept. it becomes "all" or "nothing" for some. that paralysis can prevent our living in the moment, so saying "YES" even when you feel "NO" is a wonderful way to move forward. i seem to always enjoy myself when i force myself to go - it is just getting out the door that can be hard. :)