About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day



Happy father’s day.

I saw my father on Friday for the first time in 5 months. He got remarried while I was in India. He told me in an email, a casual email updating me on the facts. He was married, and her son, my new stepbrother, was in the hospital after a terrible car crash. He died a few days later.

Having not spoken to my father in months, I didn’t know how to respond to such a thing. I didn’t know how to deal with such mixed emotions from the other side of the world. And so, I didn’t. I did nothing. I cried and wrote frantically in my journal and sought comfort in the new friends I had made, but really, I just buried all of the pain that email caused me beneath the shadows of my newfound bliss.

But it stayed here waiting for me to return. All of the anger and sadness I felt sat on my doorstep, waiting to be claimed and dealt with. I am trying to deal with it. I am trying.

I called my father and we made plans for dinner. We said nothing of the 5 months of silence that past between us. We said nothing of the marriage or the death. We said nothing of any real substance.

Not that I necessarily expected us to. I think I’ve reached the point where I can accept the fact that we’ll never have a relationship based on anything real. Still, it hurts to think that I’ve been forced to settle. It hurts to think that I probably will never have the relationship I’d like to have with him. It hurts to think that he’ll always be a part of my life, but a much smaller part than I want or need. It hurts to be my father’s daughter.

On the other hand, I’m a different person now than I was when I first realized how angry I was with him. I know who I am, and if he doesn’t like that person, it doesn’t change anything. It doesn’t mean anything. Not having him approve of me doesn’t mean that I don’t deserve love. It’s taken me a very long time to understand that.

And now that I do understand that, I’m okay. I’m able to talk to him, see him, have dinner with him once and a while. I’m able to let him be the small part of my life that he can be. I’m taking what I can get.

We had a nice dinner, the three of us, awkwardly dancing around any subjects that would spark discomfort. It of course, wasn’t all I would like from a dinner with my father and new stepmother, but it was a start. Maybe a type of ending as well, a peak of comfortable settling where we’ll all remain. Still, I’ll take what I can get.

Still, it was enough to allow me to call today and say happy father’s day.

Happy father’s day.

9 comments:

Alex S said...

I felt a deep sigh of sadness well from within as I read your words. It makes me truly sad Frankie that your dad can't see the beautiful, thoughtful, brave, and inspiring daughter he is blessed to have.

gkgirl said...

i am glad that you
are able to feel that
you are coming to terms
with your relationship
with your dad

yet
i am still sad that
your relationship
is something that you
"have to come to terms with"...

i think someday
he will become aware of
what he missed out on.

hope you had a great weekend
regardless
:)

Jamie said...

Hi Frankie,

I haven't had a chance yet to post since you've been back. Welcome home! Clearly you've had some life-changing experiences. Even the shift in your profile photo speaks to that.

This post about you and your dad is so powerful. The picture is so full of vitality, with both of your energies reaching out into the world. And the grief and hurt you've experienced is so real and so raw. And still, you are shining. Bringing your huge heart and loving self and hoping for the best.

I wish you healing and happiness in this relationship and more. Namaste.

Claudia said...

Looking forward is healthier than looking back - you deserve better.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that all that pain can make you into who you are today. I have delt with similar heartache and now that i am grown and have a family of my own, I am better because of the similar pain someone caused me when i was young. When you can't see how it's ever going to get better, that is when it starts, slightly, to turn around. Best wishes with your dad. I hope he too can see the pain he has caused you and you are able to forgive him. Know that, that is what Jesus would have you do. God Bless.

MB said...

Frankie, I've read this many times and keep trying to figure out how to put into words what it makes me feel. It makes me remember the pain that I felt about my father. It makes me hope that you will some day be fortunate enough (both of you) to experience change and growth and love, as I have with my father, many years later. There are no guarantees in this life — and that works both ways. Oh, my heart goes out to you.

meghan said...

i don't know what to say. i hope that this will create some healing for you - you are so dear and brave. know that i am sending you love. xo

alan said...

I've read this post several times in the last week, and it rends my heart each time. That someone so wonderful as you should go through this is so sad!

My Dad was not a good person in so many ways, yet in spite of his foibles I always loved him and have missed him for 23 years now.

My Mom on the other hand...oy vey! The big lightning bolt might come get me for saying I'd trade her for him in a heartbeat, but I would. I would also trade her for my wife's mom, gone 22 years, and only known for 8, but who treated me much more like a son than my Mom ever did!

I guess this is one of those things that if it doesn't kill us...

Thinking of you!

alan

Iz said...

hey its me...iz
so I saw you at graduation and frankie your like the coolest person ever! your such an amazing writer. I love your blog. I hope you dont mind me commenting. Your awesome and I just thought id tell you.