About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Friday, June 09, 2006

Arriving Home



After enough time has passed, it becomes difficult to even know where to begin. The little anecdotes of the days seem unimportant compared to the vast summary of my life that I feel inclined to update. Feeling the need to embark on such a task has been looming over me for days now, so I thought the best way to begin would simply be to, well, begin.

I’m home now. I arrived back in the United States on Saturday morning after twelve hours on an Indian bus down a mountain, a twenty-hour flight, a three-hour lay over followed by a two-hour flight. Welcome home. Arriving in Chicago was one of the oddest sensations I’ve ever experienced. Everything seemed so excessive. Stores and restaurants filled with so many options, people chatting to one another in a language I could understand, the faint smell of cookies wafting through the vents of the airport. It all felt so unnatural, so surreal.

The first few days home were difficult. I awoke my first two mornings here and wept, for reasons I couldn’t explain then, and reasons I can’t explain now. I was just so consumed with emotional instability. I just didn’t feel like I fit here, felt so out of place. I just didn’t know where I belonged.

I knew, of course, that it would be difficult to adjust. I just hadn’t realized the vast degrees to which that would be true. I hadn’t fully prepared myself, and I’m not sure that I ever really could have. It’s hard to return so different to a life so much the same.

Which is not to say I somehow think I’m superior to the life I once lived, nor do I believe I’ve outgrown it. It’s simply that I keep somehow expecting to turn a corner and be back in India, back to that place I love so dearly. It feels so close, and yet so far. It feels like I’ve only just arrived home and as though India were a thousand years ago. Perhaps maybe even just some elaborate dream I once dreamt. I fear the reality of it is slipping from me. I fear the person I became there is someone I left behind, someone who can only exist within the confines of one country.

I know that isn’t true, but leaping into my old routine the way I have -- returning to work right away, going out with friends every night -- has left me somewhat on edge about who exactly I am. My ability to adapt to my surroundings scares me sometimes. That line between happiness and complacency, between contentment and settling, haunts me. I never know which side I’m falling into. I’m never quite sure if I’ve convinced myself out of something I really want and need. It’s always easier to remain the same than to be daring, but my heart won’t stop aching for adventure. My heart won’t stop daring me to be more.

I want to be more. I want to be like the people I met traveling, the people who have spent their lives seeing the world. I don’t want to be 50 years old sitting behind a desk receiving emails from friends living the life I wish I could be living. I want to be the one living. I want to be alive.

Alive. Not just breathing. Not just going through the motions of each day, but burning with the kind of passion I felt while in India. I want each morning to glimmer with the prospect of beauty and exploration and adventure the way it did on my journey. I want the world to resonate with the kind of exquisite energy I felt there.

America just doesn’t have the same vibe. I know how ridiculous that probably sounds, but it was the first thing I noticed arriving home. There was an energy missing, a remarkable, ubiquitous feeling of friendliness and openness and love. But maybe that’s my new adventure. Maybe finding that in my surroundings wherever I am, finding that within myself, is the new journey I’ve only just begun. Maybe the key to feeling alive is as simple as living with a spirit that sets each morning ablaze with that kind of energy. Maybe I’m closer to the life I want than I ever could have imagined.

17 comments:

M said...

Wow, you sound so much like me when I came home from traveling overseas!! I was in western countries, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand mostly, so can't relate too much to what it was like to be in India, but I know how hard it is to come home. Tears in the morning, confusion about what it's all about,frustration in trying to explain to people what I'm going through and what I've been through- people always talk about culture shock when you go traveling, but never about reverse culture shock in coming home.
Good luck adjusting, I hope it settles down and you can find your way again. I just kept getting back on a plane!! Seemed easier that way.
I'm looking forward to going through your archives and reading about your trip!!

gkgirl said...

hurrah!

i'm glad to see you back
and happy that you got as much
out of your trip as you had
hoped to...

i also hope your adjustment period
is not too painful nor too long...
and that is gives you
positive results in the end...
change can be painful,
to be totally cliche-y
:)
i'm just so giddy that you are
back..heh heh

Sky said...

Welcome home!!! How odd to find this today at the same time I sent you a note saying I was eagerly awaiting your arrival!

Ohhhh, Frankie, I think your last paragraph hits the nail on the head...you are "closer to the life you want than you could have imagined!" It is the internal process, I think.

I can't wait to hear more details about your trip, how you kept yourself busy, where you went, what you saw, what you did when you and your friends changed course, etc. The silks - simply gorgeous, the temples - amazing, the food - divine?! Ohhh, you have so much to tell us.

Rest...and bathe in the joy of the memories which will keep India alive inside you forever. And, just think - you can always return. :)

hollibobolli said...

I think it's called finding yourself.. and it sounds like you're on the right track. I'm so happy for you.

I can't believe you're back already!!

I am looking forward to tales from the road.. I know you will have some wonderful ones.

hollibobolli said...

p.s. - as someone who feels like they're wasting away behind a desk.. I'll be the first to tell you - don't join the ranks. Go out and live.

Alex S said...

I feel like I could have written these words both times I came back from living overseas. Coming back home was the hard part for all the reasons you described so well Frankie. I'd say don't fall right back into your old life, give yourself plenty of time for solitude to integrate and explore all the experience was and how you want it to help you sculpt this next chapter of your life. And maybe you will go back overseas. There are so many ways to do it. When I was 26 I joined Peace Corps and spent two years in Bulgaria-unlike what people think you actually DO have some say in what region you go to usuallly. I'd be happy to share more with you about that if you are interested ever in applying. Whatever you decide, welcome home and I look forward to reading your upcoming posts again!

Alex S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

Oh my gosh, you're home. I found your blog after you left and tore through your arrives in an hour. I noticed that you commented on another blog and immediately came here to find this wonderful post.

You are an amazing woman, truly...

alan said...

Welcome back, dear friend! I won't say home because it doesn't feel like home to you now; perhaps it will again, or perhaps home is something undiscovered yet. I am glad to feel your wonder and amazement and magnificent heart through your words, and to know you share this Earth with me!

alan

MB said...

Welcome, dear Frankie!! I was delighted to see a comment from you this morning!

You've experienced so much, and I can't even begin to know how much or what. But I do remember what it is like to return feeling different and unconnected. This country is a strange place. Return is an adventure itself. Take the time you need to collect the various pieces of yourself back together. You contain such fire of spirit, I am not worried about you sitting at your desk in 30 years living vicariously!

It's counterintuitive, but that same fire of spirit can make one vulnerable. Reach for the support you need and write, write, write. I don't mean posts, necessarily, only that you *are* a writer and so writing is an important process for you. Your last paragraph is your key.

Of course, I do indeed look forward to more posts... whether they are isolated vignettes, overarching analysis... whatever your sparking heart is moved to post. When you are ready, I'll be reading!

tara dawn said...

Hello sweetie! I am so glad to know you have arrived home safely. I know that this adjustment must be monumental...I cannot even imagine.
It is so good to read your words again, to feel your spirit breaking through each and every word, infusing me with energy, with inspiration. You are such an incredible soul...I know that you will continue living a life filled with beautiful adventures...whether you are in the US or Antartica or anywhere else.
Lots of love to you and big, big hugs!
-TD

snowsparkle said...

welcome back frankie!!!! so great to have your voice back here in blogland! i think you've hit the nail on the head with the "vibe" thing. america feels bloated and vacant... travelling is far more exciting. but the real trick of life is to find a way to feel alive and vital wherever you are (and at whatever age you are ... even if it's 50) ;)

Claudia said...

Welcome home! I missed you!

Beetlebum said...

Oh Frankie. I'm so glad you are back. There is no way you are the same person you were before, and there's no way you left the person you became behind you. In terms of this: "I don’t want to be 50 years old sitting behind a desk receiving emails from friends living the life I wish I could be living"...no way. I can't possibly imagine that that is your future. You're gonna do far greater things than that, I know it.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i am so glad you are home safely...yet, i appreciate your insight about how strange it all feels and this undertone that you wonder, a bit, if this is home now.

you are living in your life. living in it. yes. this is the key. to understand this now, this is huge my dear. beautiful and huge. can't wait to hear more my dear.

meghan said...

hi there! YAY!!! I'm so glad to hear that you are safe and that you might be posting more, I've missed reading your words so much!

I can so relate to how you are feeling. I didn't go somewhere as different from my own world, but after changing my life I knew I couldn't go back to where I had been before. I suppose that is why I am where I am... go with your feelings, be gentle in your transition. You'll know what your next step is when you're ready!

LOVE to you! I've missed you SO much!!!

Annie Z said...

Welcome home, Frankie! It was good to see a post from you!!

I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling, but I do understand.
Having lived abroad for a year, I know the feeling of coming home. It certainly isn't ridiculous to be feeling such a different vibe. Every country has its own unique feeling and a place like India is so amazing.

You won't lose what you have experienced. Things will be different, of course. But the person you became over there, will always be with you.
I look forward to hearing more about the wonderful ways that you see now the world.

JTL
xxx