About Me

My photo
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy, permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." ~Jack London

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A New Rain



She said that it was appropriate that it should rain on New Years Eve. It was cleansing, a washing away of all that had preceded, a fresh beginning to all that was to come. My enthusiastic agreement excited her. She hugged me. I don’t know who she was or whether I’ll ever see her again, but it seemed the perfect way to begin a new year.

It was still raining when I walked to my car the next morning. Drops of water clung to the branches of each naked tree like crystals. The world was soft, quiet, inviting, as though it had broken open to a center of comfort. I reveled in it for a moment before making my way down the long driveway. I laughed a little to myself, and although it was only for a brief moment, that feeling resounded in me like a tentative promise of eternal joy. I could be happy like this forever, I thought.

I left for work this morning at 6, making my way down the deserted main street, smiling at its profound emptiness. The winter lights hung across the street, filled the tiny trees along the side, twinkled in the vast darkness of the world just before the sun rises. The moon shined ahead. It was a huge moon, not quite full, but grand enough to make the universe feel closer and more connected than anyone who saw it could ever imagine. It was the way a fabulous artist would paint night. It was simple and complex. It was perfection.

On my way out of Starbucks, I passed three people making their way into the day. Each one said hello. Each one smiled that smile of understanding. Each one knew the beauty of life at these early hours before the sun. We were connected in that way, in every way, if only for an instant.

I thought of all the kindred spirits I know and all I have yet to meet. I thought of those I will never meet, those who share my thoughts and feelings and desires, but whose paths will never cross with mine. I wonder if they think of me too.

Aren’t we all, always thinking, always wondering, always imagining those versions of ourselves living different lives in different places. Sometimes my soul is heavy with the lives I am not living. Other times, not. Sometimes I am happy to be exactly me, exactly here. Those are the moments I call life.

What will this year bring? Who’s to say. My life has continued to change and evolve so rapidly, that often words cannot come quickly enough to keep track. I have yet to determine whether that will always be the case or whether it’s simply what happens in your early twenties when you have no direction, when anything is possible. Does that feeling last? Does anyone ever actually settle into a life?

On Thursday I’m meeting with three of my best friends to discuss finding a house together. What a lovely new beginning that would be, a home of our own, a family I can really see as family. Just the thought of it thrills me to no end.

But of course, even that won’t be final. We’ll live there a year, maybe longer, but then it will be time for a new home, a new adventure, a new chapter in our lives. Life continues forward. We move into the new year with hope, with joy, with the knowledge that at some point, the rain will come again and we will be reborn.

9 comments:

Mridula said...

Wish you a glorious 2007. I too had a wonderful beginning to 2007 I was travelling back from Sikkim.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

"Aren’t we all, always thinking, always wondering, always imagining those versions of ourselves living different lives in different places. Sometimes my soul is heavy with the lives I am not living. Other times, not."

These words, these thoughts...you have looked right into my soul. Yes, it is so true. I know this feeling well and I guess it never really goes away. But maybe these are little nudges to help us live the life we need to live.

Your writing, your reflections...so wise dear one, so wise.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking "please let her have posted.. I really need it today." I'm so glad to find you back. I've missed your thoughts, my friend.

Happy New Year!!

alan said...

Happy New Year my friend!

I know exactly what you mean when you say

"Sometimes my soul is heavy with the lives I am not living. Other times, not. Sometimes I am happy to be exactly me, exactly here."

I am trying very hard to find contentment in the here and now; perhaps that is my life lesson, at least for the present!

Thank you for always touching the depths of my soul with your words!

alan

MB said...

It's always a pleasure to read your writing. So thoughtful, inquisitive, alive.

Sky said...

happy 2007, frankie!

sometimes when i pass an interesting looking house i wonder about the lives being lived inside. often these moments are accompanied by a sort of nostalgic feeling even though i don't know the people or the neighborhood. interesting - your post reminded me of these moments.

good luck in creating your new home and family. it is an exciting time in your life! i am always glad to find a post from you...always curious.

hannah said...

one of my favorite things is feeling connected to people you don't know by just a look, or a smile, or a hello. It's definitely a real feeling, and you have to believe that they feel it too. Happy 2007, frankie -- and it's great to know you still glance at my blog from time to time! I have to remember to enter the blog world a little more often...

Annie Z said...

Hi Frankie, It's been such a long time since I said hi. So, I just wanted to pop and say "I hope you are well"
JTL
xxx

PS. New blog address http://journeythroughlife-afreshstart.blogspot.com/

tara dawn said...

How wonderful to come here today and read your inspiring words...words that always ring with truth and wisdom, words that make me stand up or sit down, breathe or hold my breath, words that bring smiles, words that make me feel alive.
Your talent continues to amaze me dear Frankie! Your way with words is truly a gift...thank you for sharing your gift here with all of us. May 2007 bless you to the depths of your soul and may your feet carry you this year to more new and unexpected places.
love and hugs,
td